CPKhuk

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Lorien, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    well, that was pretty straightforward. No burning, no electrocutions and khuk's chillin in the freezer

my toaster oven only goes up to 450, not much to be done about that I suppose.

doI want to preheat it before I put the knife in or bring everything up to temperature more gradually?

jus_gus, fonedork, woodysone and 5 others like this.
  2. gunslinger387

gunslinger387 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2010
    It’s good to have goals.

jus_gus, woodysone, Odog27 and 3 others like this.
  3. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
  4. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Ti anodizing, and mods Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    I'd preheat, with a big chunk of metal in there to help even out the swing.

jus_gus, fonedork, woodysone and 2 others like this.
  5. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    Man that fuller is huuuuuuuuuuuge!

Odog27 likes this.
  6. Airbornetx

Airbornetx

Feb 6, 2007
    Looks good, can't wait to see the next stage!

Baby Ganesh would fit in well with that crew.

Lorien and Odog27 like this.
  7. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    I also love the stained glass...nice!

woodysone, oldmanwilly and Odog27 like this.
  8. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    I would preheat. Frequently, the biggest problem that you run into is overheating spots. This can be minimized by having your work out of the oven while the oven is ramping up.

9. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    initial impressions are positive: this thing is beastly
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

looking forward to getting that handle made

10. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Ti anodizing, and mods Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Looks awesome, Lorien! :cool:

11. oldmanwilly

oldmanwilly Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Looks wonderful! Thanks for keeping us in the loop on this project.

12. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    Outstanding, congrats!
    A guestimate of how hard it is (the knife) would be about 60 HRC. Does that seem about right?

woodysone, jus_gus and Odog27 like this.
  13. Icky Thump

Icky Thump Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Looks like it bites hard. Wait till those handles go on...swat some pretry savage licks w/ that thing.

Well done, Lorien !

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  14. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    Please take my money!

The only thing I ever make in my toaster oven is Hot Pockets and Tater Tots....

jus_gus, oldmanwilly and Odog27 like this.
  15. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005

Richard, I can't answer your question except to say that I applied the edge bevel by hand and it felt a little on the soft side. Probably harder most khuks from Nepal, but not by much is my guess. I might be confusing hardness with wear resistance, though, since A2 isn't very wear resistant. I haven't gotten the edge bevel dialed in, the khuk was what I consider dull when I used it this afternoon, and large portions still had a wire edge. So far, edge stability seems pretty close to other A2 knives I've used.

All that said, one of my machinist buddies has access to a hardness tester and he offered to measure it for me. For the purposes of this prototyping phase, it's not particularly relevant, but considering this is the first knife I've ever heat treated, I am curious. It was in the oven for 35 minutes, a few of which it had to ramp back up from around 1500 degrees to 1725, and it was between the plates for maybe fifteen minutes or so. When I cut the foil off, it was warm but not hot. I stuck it in the freezer for an hour, let it go back to room temperature and then into the toaster at 450 for 1:20. I was anticipating the oven to take awhile to get up to temperature, but I didn't preheat it. It might have been over tempered, but I honestly don't know and won't unless I measure the hardness.

I have to say, with my limited amount of time with it today, (my shoulder's a little fucky so I had to take it easy) it's everything I was hoping it would be. The second version won't be much different, I don't think.

woodysone, Mike157, Phill50 and 12 others like this.
  16. SharpPancake

SharpPancake Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Oh boy, that is looking sweet

woodysone, MattinLA and Odog27 like this.
  17. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    was able to get the handle scales profiled today, and was SO happy to find my 1/2" bit so I could sink those bolt heads nice and deep into the scales. Next step is sexy curvatures
    [​IMG]

I was going to start by making clay models for the handles, but I'm going full blast on this mofo. No time for messing around!

18. gunslinger387

gunslinger387 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Didn’t want one, until now. Really digging the WIP.

woodysone, 'Iokua and Odog27 like this.
  19. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    :cool:

20. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    I bet this is gonna be comfy!

Odog27 likes this.