CPM Cruwear Military

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take this for what it's worth...I was a johnny come lately on the M390 Millie/CTS 204P PM2/Cruwear Millie. I still managed to get an M390 preorder in and get one. I sent an email to the shop running the pm2 cts-204P after they sold out their preorder and managed to receive an email from them telling where and when to be online to pick up one of the left-over knives. I was first online and was rewarded with one for their ridiculously low price. I just put my preorder in for a Cruwear Millie 12 days ago and expect to be receiving it in the not too distant future. What's my point? Persistance pays off. Like Rev and the others have said...if you want it bad enough and you're willing to do the work required...there is no reason you can't achieve your goal. I, of all people, understand the frustration from the scalpers with gold cards. I won't pay their price and I won't give them their inflated trade value in a trade either. I have been patient and have been fortunate enough to trade with some folks that believe as I do...if I didn't pay sky high money for it I shouldn't trade at a sky high value. I traded a ZT 0551 for a back up M390 Millie not too long ago...a pretty great swap if you ask me. We were both happy and neither was looking at high trade values. Folks like that are here...that's one of the best things about BFC. You might not get in on the initial buy, but you might have something a member wants that he/she is willing to trade theirs for.

BTW...hey Rev...when you're ready to part with one of your PM2/S90V backups...shoot me a PM. :D

Rev, you are preaching to the choir, on the "pay to play" concept. My dissent on the matter, is people screwing others. Buying and flipping, that is the part that pisses me off. As for the Cruwear, I'll take three. Where do I pay? You see Rev, it's not about the money, it's the principle. I'm all good with paying Spyderco what they ask for a knife or three. I however am not really cool, with you broom raping me, because you got one, and I didn't. Especially, when you didn't even want it. Sorry, just not that torqued up for them, or anything else for that matter. Although I appreciate the very basic lesson in economics, and one's need to plan, we are talking about knives. Am I under the wrong impression, that most of these are sold, before they ever hit the shelf? If so, screw it, why bother? I have not been able to find anywhere that is pre-selling the Millies. Maybe you can direct me? Thanks for the assistance.

First, you need to simmer down a bit and take some deep breathes before things get out of hand. I understand, I've been at this for over 20 years on and off. Unfortunately, the point of your frustration is something we really can't do much about. Stores are in business to sell their stock as quickly as possible. luckily, some stores has in place a "Limit of x" per customer, others not so much. I've found that some stores will cut out the potential middle men and hike up the peices at or past MSRP in order to maximize profitability. So, is it fair? Depends who you ask.

I've seen stores endlessly "oversell" their preorders. I'm still waiting on a knife preorder that I placed 3 months ago, and the items have already been shipped out and a bunch of people have them in hand. As far as your lesson in economics is concerned, it was an example that happened in real life (aka common sense to some). In my eyes it is unrealistic to expect a company to tie up capital and potentially lose money on items (given the current economic environment) to produce a pile of products that may or may not sell as promised by the customers. Yes we are talking about knives, the same can be said for other niche market manufacturing. Here is a list of potential leads, good luck to you, I'm done.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1089879-Paid-Dealer-Members-List

Some thoughts to share;

These sprints are generally decided on at least 18 months before we can begin delivery. Most of them are squeezed into regular production. That is assuming we can get materials. Most of the time, foundries are not keeping these boutique steels in stock, so we order, they make a melt, then roll, etc. We maybe guessing quantities 2 years out. Pretty hard to do in today's markets. I'm open to suggestions? We would naturally like to make the right amount so everyone that wants one can get one without being scalped.

Some of the quick sales on recent models really surprised us. eg: the Native forum knife in S110V and the K390 Mule team. We probably could of made more had we known 18 months ago.

sal

What about a fan vote to bring back some classic and favorite sprints. Maybe once year, so that the batch comes out 12-18 months after? The voting would probably give an idea for the demand, probably like 60% of the winning vote would buy one hands down.

Hi SlippyShayne,

Most of the sprints come out of forum requests. That still won't give us a number to build. I made the call to make a Cruwear Military because I wanted one and I felt that if I wanted one, there would be a few other steel junky's would also want one. Does that mean they'll sell out quickly? We don't know and won't until they're gone.

We'll discuss increasing some sprint numbers based on current demand.

sal

Rev, you are preaching to the choir, on the "pay to play" concept. My dissent on the matter, is people screwing others. Buying and flipping, that is the part that pisses me off. As for the Cruwear, I'll take three. Where do I pay? You see Rev, it's not about the money, it's the principle. I'm all good with paying Spyderco what they ask for a knife or three. I however am not really cool, with you broom raping me, because you got one, and I didn't. Especially, when you didn't even want it. Sorry, just not that torqued up for them, or anything else for that matter. Although I appreciate the very basic lesson in economics, and one's need to plan, we are talking about knives. Am I under the wrong impression, that most of these are sold, before they ever hit the shelf? If so, screw it, why bother? I have not been able to find anywhere that is pre-selling the Millies. Maybe you can direct me? Thanks for the assistance.

Its seems when people can't get a certain knife for whatever reason they automatically blame flippers, scalpers, collectors or whatever except for the real reason: themselves. I've missed my fair share of sprint runs and limited editions but I have never blamed other people for my lack of trying. I blamed myself for not putting the necessary effort into finding the LE I was interested in. I can honestly say that every LE I've ever really really wanted and put the effort into finding I've been able to get. The search is half of the fun of trying to score these LE's.

As for making more of the LE's/Sprint Runs, well that kind of goes against what a LE is supposed to be..a Limited Edition.

Its seems when people can't get a certain knife for whatever reason they automatically blame flippers, scalpers, collectors or whatever except for the real reason: themselves. I've missed my fair share of sprint runs and limited editions but I have never blamed other people for my lack of trying. I blamed myself for not putting the necessary effort into finding the LE I was interested in. I can honestly say that every LE I've ever really really wanted and put the effort into finding I've been able to get. The search is half of the fun of trying to score these LE's.

As for making more of the LE's/Sprint Runs, well that kind of goes against what a LE is supposed to be..a Limited Edition.

Why doesn't Sal just make one then? Then it would be a REAL limited edition. Just imagine how valuable that could be!?!? I understand that neccesary effort is needed. But to discount the flippers and such, is pretty short sided.

Some thoughts to share;

These sprints are generally decided on at least 18 months before we can begin delivery. Most of them are squeezed into regular production. That is assuming we can get materials. Most of the time, foundries are not keeping these boutique steels in stock, so we order, they make a melt, then roll, etc. We maybe guessing quantities 2 years out. Pretty hard to do in today's markets. I'm open to suggestions? We would naturally like to make the right amount so everyone that wants one can get one without being scalped.

Some of the quick sales on recent models really surprised us. eg: the Native forum knife in S110V and the K390 Mule team. We probably could of made more had we known 18 months ago.

sal

Sal, can you say how many Mule Team 17's were made? And what was the timeframe, in which they were sold? Is there an average, of pieces/sell through on the Mule Team knives? Thanks in advance

Some thoughts to share;

sal

I know of no other company in which "customers" can offer as much feedback to the "Proprietor" as with Spyderco. We are owed no explanations but they are freely offered. He has welcomed individual members to these forums!

All I hope is that Sal and Co keep putting out numbers that makes the most sense to them so they stay profitable and we can keep drooling over new things always upcoming. It's a hobby and that's part of the fun. Did I miss out on some sprints, yep (I'm new to this game). But the next knife to catch my eye is just around the corner.

Sal, can you say how many Mule Team 17's were made? And what was the timeframe, in which they were sold? Is there an average, of pieces/sell through on the Mule Team knives? Thanks in advance

I believe there were around 700 or so of the MT17 and I think they sold out in about 2 hours. I'm not sure that is typical though and may have had a lot to do with K390 being a highly anticipated steel. If I remember correctly, the CTS-XHP mule took several weeks to sell out. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Seems to be a bit of a crapshoot as to which models will fly out the door and which will languish on the shelves. I really appreciate that Spyderco is willing to put these out there for us, even if I do miss out on some of the good ones.

I believe there were around 700 or so of the MT17 and I think they sold out in about 2 hours. I'm not sure that is typical though and may have had a lot to do with K390 being a highly anticipated steel. If I remember correctly, the CTS-XHP mule took several weeks to sell out. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Seems to be a bit of a crapshoot as to which models will fly out the door and which will languish on the shelves. I really appreciate that Spyderco is willing to put these out there for us, even if I do miss out on some of the good ones.

I think the forum native was around 700 pieces, while the k390 mule was more like 5-600... I'm sure it was the Native that sold out in a few hours, the mule was available for 3-4 days. The mule probably went much faster since they were released at the same time. Or was it the other way 'round? I only intended to get the k390, but ended up with some s110v as well, lol

As far as flippers, I don't think there is much Spyderco can/should do. There is a risk to them if they make too many of a particular sprint, and true collectors may not like to see 2,500 piece runs. The other option in the supply/demand curve is to raise prices, but I'm not going to advocate that position!, lol... I just plan to stay on top of current/future models i'm interested in and not chase models I missed if I don't like the price. It's certainly not like i'm hurtin for a good folder :)

Back on topic, super excited to get some Cruwear and hope my pre-order comes through! Thanks for making them Sal & Co.!

Just sit back and wait for the more reliable dealers to release the sprint or put it on pre-order then be ready to pull the trigger.If you don't get it for some reason there will be another sprint down the line or around the next corner.If you are able to afford all the sprints and models I suggest that you sign up for the CC.I can't afford them all and miss some that I really wanted, but that's the way the ball bounced for me.I have no remorse and no regrets.

L2Bravo, despite your feelings about the sprints, mules and forum knives I've found that there were more situations I was aware of where forumites looked out for each other helping to make sure others from the Spyderco community were able to get knives than there were actual flippers or profit takers. I had 4 people offer a knife to me at cost to make sure I got one ( I was pretty broke at the time). I even had two people offer to hold the knives for months until I could get money, again at no profit to them. I wasn't the only one offered. I'm just one of the guys there. We just try to look out for each other when we can. Several others noted the same offers as I did.

Maybe rather than writing the whole thing off and being bitter you might take some time and get to know other people here and at the Spyderco factory forum. If you make yourself a decent, contributing member of the community not only will you meet some of the best people around, worldwide, but you will learn far more about knives, steel, knife production and manufacturing news, and many other things.

Like anywhere else if you go in with an attitude you will likely not enjoy the place. Most of us aren't there for drama. Old guys like me, or young, newer ones all tend to have one thing in common. We like knives, especially high performing ones, and we like to learn. If you think you already have everything figured out save yourself some time though. :)

Joe

You know Joe, I'm really not sure how to respond to your post. I guess first off, you might be surpised at the people that emailed me with the same sentiment, in regards to scalpers and flippers. There is a difference in capitalism, and preditory practices. I am glad that you experienced the kindness of humanity, it does exist. As far as "making myself a decent contributing member", are you saying I haven't? As far as I can tell, I have made several friends, and tried to both contribute and learn. I am far from bitter, and in fact that is a pretty condescending remark on your part. As far as your assertions of "attitude, drama, and having everything figured out", I don't see where you are able to gather all of that with one thread.

Joe, I don't know you, and you don't know me. The point I make is, just because I voiced an opinion, doesn't make me the anti Christ. In fact, I think I have thanked Sal openly for his work and contributions, that are not required, but rather out of the goodness of his heart. So again, I would hardly call me bitter. I hope this will come to a close, and we can resume talking about what we all love. Badass Spyderco knives. Take care, Josh

Last edited:
Well if any of you see one that pops up for pre order or for sale, I will have my bank card in hand. I want to get me one of these, I haven't had a Millie for years. This looks like a good one to rekindle my Spydie collection :)

Josh, as far as taking things personally this might be an example. As you stated, I don't know you. If I don't know you why the heck would I be making accusations, assertions or anything else about you?

I was telling you how things work whether you approve of them or not. You took it as some kind of an indictment of you and your behavior. That's your choice. Whatever makes you happy is what I say. Continue your "we're all victims to predatory capitalists" rant in good health.

See ya.

Sal

This is killing me in the past 2 mo I went from having only 1 knife or the past 10yrs to about 2and a half dozen and 75 percent of that Spyderco. My last 2 purchases were a s90v Millie and a 20cp paramilitary 2. Now hearing about the new Cruwear scratch off another one. With all the kidding around just wanted to say thank you for all you do.

Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back