CRK&T tomahawks?

They're so SMALL though, an Estwing hatchet is only $30 some-odd. These guys are only 13" overall aren't they? Man, I thought about it, but I've GOT an Estwing.

True, they do seem a little small. But I think that is part of the point. Smaller, easier to maneuver. Lighter. There are cheaper solutions. Better? Depends on your task. These in particular look like they would be good for choking up on, whereas I've tried that with my Estwing, and it doesn't work at all. Plus, these look/sound like the edge geometry is approaching closer to a knife edge than the blunt edge of my Estwing, so it doesn't have to rely on the swing to cut. Admittedly, my Estwing has better geometry now that I've put a lot of work in it, but it is still quite obtuse.

Hey guys!
I've been reading bladeforums forever and finally got around to making an account! This is my first post!!! So exciting! Anyhow, I picked up a Kangee a little while back. It is my first entry into the world of tomahawks and so far I love it. One thing I wanted to point out though. I was throwing my tomahawk (I know, I know, I had it coming) and the top part of one of my scales broke, so be careful about that (put some locktite in the first screw). I have contacted CRKT, but now I have been thinking about doing a chord wrap instead. Has anyone tried that yet?

Straight handle hawks are way better for throwing. I've thrown my Kangee a few times, but it catches the pinky and causes a bad release.
The FRN is pretty tough, but it lacks the fabric and strength .ound in G-10

I've been pondering the thought of buying a Chogan (already have the Kangee) and cutting it down at the half choke position for a shorter, more compact tomahawk. Has anyone thought of this/tried it? General thoughts? I know it will lose some of it's chopping power, but that's not quite what I'm using it for anyways.

Cord wraps a nice idea. You could also make some wood scales, for aesthetics. You now have the perfect excuse to mod the hawk.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to go for a chord wrap for now and maybe start working on some wooden scales. Its something I've never done before but I think ill give it a shot! Ill post pics when I'm done.

My buddy and I are just getting into tomahawk fighting and wanted something compact, concealable and light. We ended up getting Chogans for the task and cutting them down. It reduces the chopping power, of course, but seeing as we aren't using these as bushwackers we were alright with that compromise. Since the haft is skeletonized, I filled the bottom hole with some mighty putty. In hindsight, I'd have used something better seeing as 3 days now, and it still hasn't fully cured (and is a PITA to sand)
It now measures just around 9 inches, not sure on the weight as I lack a precise scale.

chogan_zps15c2ff81.jpg

Wow Simple Jumper I like that setup . I'd probably try a lanyard on it.
It aint much of a fight'n Hawk if you don't carry it. That looks like it should have been made like that.

I've been contemplating taking a notch out of the scales and adding a lanyard hole on the rear of the pommel. More to follow and thanks for the feedback!

I like that cut down version better than the original. I'd like to get my hands on it to tell for sure but it sure does look good.

Well, I spent a good hour trying to add a lanyard hole. I decided to mark and drill the scales first then carry onto the haft. I now find myself with two pierced scales and no hole in the steel. I even bought 2 new packs of bits specifically to drill steel and tested them on a scrap piece of the cut off hafts - no issue! But when it came to adding in at the pommel it would seem when I used my Dremel with cut off wheel I didn't monitor the heat well since it has managed to completely dull a 3/16 titanium coated bit.

Seeing as the scales are now not quite uniform, I think in the coming weeks I might make some micarta scales to replace the plastic.

Way late to the party here but my kangee will be here in two days. Seems like a great hawk at a great price. Can't wait.

Has anyone put a beating on theirs yet? A review I watched on YouTube showed the forward screws coming loose after 5 mins of chopping. That concerns me.

I have not. But have seen reviews where they say to put locktite on the screws, as they will work loose.

Back