Crosscut Saw Thread

Just for an update, the one in my slideshow was my first attempt at a bench-mounted vise. My newer one uses threaded bolts and T-nuts for the swivel and I put cam locks on the grips.

obv7mlV.jpg

a>

Thank you for that! Those are good ideas.
...and I thought the first one was AWESOME...

Great vise.
Great bench.

You certainly set a great standard/quality for me to look and work toward.

Great update

Maybe build a work bench on the porch...I like the idea of being able to work right outdoors like that. Natural light, fresh air.
You just gave me a great idea that involves our side porch, a full standing saw vise, and my wife not allowing one bit of it:(
Well, I have one of those clamp on vices, wobbles more than an egg in a paint shaker but it works, and it's not permanent. Just don't drop anything between the boards on your porch, it'll be gone for ever.

In theory it's a pretty good bench. Nice long work surface, good place to keep files and it's close to the house

I wasn't expecting either today but happy for the reading and man am I very happy the postman delivered today when my wife wasn't home. She just doesn't like surprises... especially my surprise purchases :D
She doesn't know and probably never really will, that I had to reach out beyond the local haunts and honey holes for the Simonds 342.
:cool:;)

0kcD17E.jpg

m73JOCw.jpg

Now just need to get cracking and building a bench mounted saw vise.
Then I can really sink my teeth in to resurrecting my saws to start using.

Dolly Chapman, queen of the saw filers, has plans for a stand-alone vise. I have used one when traveling, but it takes up too much space in my basement for daily use. Another design to consider. Her vise is a "sandwich" style that holds the saw between two planks. I can't find a URL for it, but I'll PM you the plans. Here are two in use for filing a big saw:

http://www.sharpcrosscut.com/sharpening

I don't know if I can send or receive PM without a membership...there is a message or post board in our profile page I think it is and those messages may be limited unless a paying member (?) All this is assumption and my limited experience here.

Thank you for the great examples and references!!

It's funny you mention the sandwich type vise...I began leaning in that direction just this morning when I got the opportunity to rough cut this...

IMG_20171115_094205063.jpg

I was headed toward your most recent example melding what these three USFS examples also provide when I began realizing my space, materials and saw experience and carpentry limits.

Screenshot_20171114-170450.png

I can't wait to get back to it!!!

ah, thats what you meant by bench top. i thought you meant like this
6a00d8341d929f53ef00e5524d0aef8834-800wi.jpg

Gotchya.
I thought maybe that's what you were talking about.
I would like to find one or two of the vises like you have pictured but now that I have this vise built, I will try to make it work for all my saws.
This is my first attempt, working from pictures and reading descriptions, trying to get as much done in short bursts of time here and there...I have left a lot to be desired and to be improved upon ;):rolleyes::oops:
...but it should work:thumbsup:

the thing about wood is it's very easy to modify

Certainly more forgiving to a guy with my lacking/limited carpentry skills.

Can't let inexperience keep you from trying at least once ;)
Don't jump in blindly though:(

I have drilled a few other holes at varying heights to better sandwich the saws, two of my three blades slipped in the vise earlier for fitting reference.

IMG_20171116_155313601.jpg

The new holes will allow me to lower my center bolt to drop the blades deeper.
I need still to carefully remove the riveted handle bracket arm for cleaning this blade and a better fit in the vise.

The lower bolt thrus will also allow me to set this blade deeper as well :thumbsup:

IMG_20171116_155440957.jpg

First. Lots of cleaning ahead :thumbsup::cool:

Something to go with your 342 if you don't already have it:

Bob

Thank you! I did come across that and wanted to print it out, easier for me to reference in print, but have been distracted but having a great time building the vise itself.
Thank you for the reminder!!

IMG_20171117_221036786.jpg

IMG_20171117_221046171.jpg

I got the eye bolts I wanted trimmed to length and installed, holes and pivot bolt channels reamed out for smoother function and tighter sandwiching.
I need to paint the top surfaces black or a dark stain to minimize the glare and light reflection, I also want to resand the inner faces once more.
I just need to get a few things squared away, then I can hang the vise up outta the way and start cleaning my 36" plain tooth a little more and go from there.

I am also excitedly awaiting delivery on the crosscut saw/traditional tools publications:
Crosscut Saw Manual, Saws that Sing, Hand Tools for Trail Work, An Axe to Grind, New Tools for Old Saws, and two videos The Crosscut Saw Filer and The Crosscut Sawyer.
I have them downloaded all, but when I requested the hard copy manuals the videos are coming bonus as a very friendly courtesy for my expressed interest and enthusiasm in the crosscut saw and axe :)
The contact I made in this office over the past two weeks, she has been very courteous and more than helpful.

The manuals I requested from
The Forest Service National Technology & Development Program
5785 Hwy 10 W
Missoula, MT 59808
www.fs.fed.us

Thanks for all the encouragement. :thumbsup:

Back