Cult of the peanut , members

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jacktrades_nbk, Mar 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Mikael W

Mikael W Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Will, if I would drive up in a new Mercedes, rest assured my wife would ask for a divorce, but a fancy penfolder I can get away with.:D :thumbsup:

Regards
    Mikael

2. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    I need to find another one!

Ace Rimmer and TrapperMike like this.
  3. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    I'm thinking of petitioning Case to rename "Harvest Orange" to "Autumn Sassafras Leaf". They share a lot of the same colors!

:p:D:rolleyes::confused::cool:

[​IMG]

TLARbb, UnderDawgAl, jc57 and 18 others like this.
  4. jacktrades_nbk

jacktrades_nbk

Feb 7, 2007
    Beautiful picture, of a perfect pocket knife Ace.

Ace Rimmer, WolfyW and TrapperMike like this.
  5. TrapperMike

TrapperMike

Nov 23, 2016
    I really like the colors in that legume. Very nice.

Ace Rimmer and jacktrades_nbk like this.
  6. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Ace, that dusty orange bone is REAL nice!

7. Shooter xix

Shooter xix

Jul 30, 2018
    How is everyone? I'm still carrying the same burnt amber nut I've been showing. What's everyone else carrying?

TrapperMike likes this.
  8. TrapperMike

TrapperMike

Nov 23, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Still carrying this simple little brown peanut my kids gave me for Christmas in 2016. I love it.

9. Mikael W

Apr 21, 2007
    I'm in the middle of the break-in process of the AGR Pinched Peanut and there's a lot of learning, adjusting and setting the right edgegeometry for my kind of use.
    So far so good.
    The VG-10 steel shows very high resistance to wear and this was one of the main reasons for me to get this one.
    The Peanut doesn't replace my regular working knives, wich are a lam. Mora and a Leatherman Charge, but it does all the small chores in a great style.

Regards
    Mikael

10. Shooter xix

Shooter xix

Jul 30, 2018
    I started carrying my spyderco para 3 again along with my burnt amber peanut

Mikael W likes this.
  11. Seen003

Seen003

May 18, 2017
    Hello you Nutty Folks!
    Since reentering back into the family, the slope was steep and I have been acquiring a few more to the collection. Thought I'd do some show and tell of my modest legume collection...
    [from bottom to top]
    (4) Case Peanuts; Tan Micarta, CV Yeller, 1979 “one dot” Jigged Delrin, Barehead Prime Vintage Stag. (2) Schrade Peanuts; Dyed Sambar Stag & Ram’s Horn.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  12. oldtymer

oldtymer Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Still this one
    Dscn0060_zpsqprzojoy.jpg

13. jacktrades_nbk

jacktrades_nbk

Feb 7, 2007
    Nice peanuts everybody :thumbsup:

TrapperMike likes this.
  14. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    TrapperMike likes this.
  15. CasePeanut

CasePeanut Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2018
    @Mikael W - what have you learned and adjusted? Did you thin or reprofile the blades?

Mikael W and TrapperMike like this.
  16. jacktrades_nbk

jacktrades_nbk

Feb 7, 2007
    Maybe they have differences that count in actual use, like a different spine angle as it meets the handle, (peanut that looks like an U) different edge shape, and so on.
    You can get used with a knife so much, that another one, after years, seems to be a very different knife, even due to minor differences.

Mikael W and TrapperMike like this.
  17. Mikael W

Apr 21, 2007
    The twoblade AGR Peanut is a new to me type of folder. One of the first things I learned was the usefulness of the small Wharncliffe blade.
    I'm not a fan of the Wharncliffe type, but as a short secondary blade on the Peanut I find it to blend in well with the overall design.
    Another thing is the necessity to hold on tight to the handle, or this small knife can easily slip out of the hand.
    It has no halfstop like my Camillus and I like the smooth operation more than a halfstop.

I have adjusted the edgegeometry to a more convex edge by working on the shoulders and the blades now work a lot better on wood.
    I intend to give the edges an allround convex geometry that will still support the steel in edgeholding, but will cut with lesser resitance than the factory bevel.
    A flaw was a pin in the scales that was not peened on the inside of the liner and this created a tiny gap.
    I fixed it by lifting the scale with a very thin scalpel and filled the gap with superglue + pressed it back in place.

So far I'm very pleased with the heat-treatment of the VG-10 steel at RC 61, as it makes the steel very wear-resistant.
    I admit that it's not as easy to sharpen as a softer steel, but I use the Fällkniven DC4 and CC4 stones and they work well on any steel.
    I also like the high precision between the blades and the backsprings as the joints are almost invisible.

I'm still in the learning phase of the AGR Peanut and for me this can take around 6 months or more before I know if it's a go or a no.
    The result will most likely be a go, but it's too early to give a final verdict.

Regards
    Mikael

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  18. Mikael W

Apr 21, 2007
    Absolutely true!
    Two identical knives can easily develop different qualitys, depending on how they are maintained and tuned over time.

Regards
    Mikael

jacktrades_nbk and TrapperMike like this.
  19. mitch4ging

mitch4ging Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Modest??
    I would say a very nice grouping there!!:thumbsup:

20. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    Cool!