Cult of the peanut , members

I have only one peanut and mine is ss. It works well enough for me. I have CV in other knives and the performance imo is about the same. The cv is a bit easier to sharpen.

I think it's the nickel.

When I was still working as a machinist, we cursed when anything had to be done on the lathe or mills that was stainless. It was 'gummy' and very hard on the tooling. If a certain part in carbon steel could be done maybe 100 to 125 parts before the tool got dull, the stainless part would cause the tool to be resharpened after maybe 40-50 parts. Also the chips didn't fall clear but resulted in long streamers that would wrap around the cutting tool so the machine had to be stopped and some needle nose pliers used to pull off what looked like a bundle of barded wire wrapped around the end mill.

Most of what we worked with was 303 and 304 stainless, and it was, to put it bluntly, a bitch. We all hated working with stainless steel. Whatever ss Case uses leaves that gummy wire edge that has be delt with if you end up with a nice razor edge. Rather than stropping, I like to take a freshly sharpened knife and go outside to a nice wood fence plank, then run the edge over the wood like I'm trying to slice down into it. Works well at taking of the wire edge.

I think it's the nickel.

When I was still working as a machinist, we cursed when anything had to be done on the lathe or mills that was stainless. It was 'gummy' and very hard on the tooling. If a certain part in carbon steel could be done maybe 100 to 125 parts before the tool got dull, the stainless part would cause the tool to be resharpened after maybe 40-50 parts. Also the chips didn't fall clear but resulted in long streamers that would wrap around the cutting tool so the machine had to be stopped and some needle nose pliers used to pull off what looked like a bundle of barded wire wrapped around the end mill.

Most of what we worked with was 303 and 304 stainless, and it was, to put it bluntly, a bitch. We all hated working with stainless steel. Whatever ss Case uses leaves that gummy wire edge that has be delt with if you end up with a nice razor edge. Rather than stropping, I like to take a freshly sharpened knife and go outside to a nice wood fence plank, then run the edge over the wood like I'm trying to slice down into it. Works well at taking of the wire edge.
I have tried the wood post before and it does work well. I have never had a problem getting case ss or CV sharp. Some times it takes a little extra work on the ss bit I dont mind. My little legume performs just fine in ss. It might not patina but it still ages and tells its story just the same. It will last me for the rest of my life as long as I dont do something stupid like pry with it.

I have tried the wood post before and it does work well. I have never had a problem getting case ss or CV sharp. Some times it takes a little extra work on the ss bit I dont mind. My little legume performs just fine in ss. It might not patina but it still ages and tells its story just the same. It will last me for the rest of my life as long as I dont do something stupid like pry with it.

Most people can't tell the difference between the steels in every day use. Many years ago, B.R. Hughs who did a ton of articles for knife magazines and was one of the original members and founders of the American Bladesmith Society, and a dear friend of Bill Moran, wrote a very interesting piece. He had 4 identical knives made with 4 different steels ranging from common to the steel of the year. He then had a large number of people try all of them whittling, cutting rope, leather, and other stuff. None of them could tell a difference when they all started with sharp knives. They cut until their hands were cramped and couldn't tell Mr. Hughs which one was which in performance.

I really believe that if an identical test was done today, with knives labeled A.B,C.and D, most the steel snobs couldn't tell you the wonder steel of the month according to the knife magazines, and steels like 420hc or 440A. Even the most common steels of today are some very good stuff compared to a hundred years ago, or even 50. Case stainless will definitely get you through your day unless you break down cardboard boxes for a living or skin a brontosaurus.

Case stainless is without doubt a good steel, and I can not tell the difference between that and cv. I asked because it seems that cv is more popular among the knifenuts, but this might not be true. Jackknife, a test like that would be quite interesting.

SJ7iKHN.jpg
Thought a picture was in order .:) yellow ss.

Case stainless is without doubt a good steel, and I can not tell the difference between that and cv. I asked because it seems that cv is more popular among the knifenuts, but this might not be true. Jackknife, a test like that would be quite interesting.

Just my observation about this forum when it comes to CV vs. SS. For some, it's CV (or any other non stainless carbon steel) or nothing and a few of these folks post quite often about their preference. Folks who are happy with SS don't seem to post much about it, maybe not wanting to start an argument or maybe because it doesn't matter to them. Unless they collect GEC, which doesn't do much (any?) stainless, my guess is an anonymous poll of the members here would show they have more stainless than non stainless knives, but I could be wrong.

Just my observation about this forum when it comes to CV vs. SS. For some, it's CV (or any other non stainless carbon steel) or nothing and a few of these folks post quite often about their preference. Folks who are happy with SS don't seem to post much about it, maybe not wanting to start an argument or maybe because it doesn't matter to them. Unless they collect GEC, which doesn't do much (any?) stainless, my guess is an anonymous poll of the members here would show they have more stainless than non stainless knives, but I could be wrong.
As for me I am fine with CV or ss. Both have worked great for my everyday needs. In the past I have tried modern knives with "supper steels". I was not overly impressed. They might hold a working edge a little longer but not enough longer to justify the cost. I know other places on the forum it gets pretty hostile when discussing steels. I say if ss is good enough for case to use in there knives, it is good enough for me. I carry my peanut and vic recruit everyday. They are all I carry and all I need. Both were gifts from my kids and I have learned I dont really need anything else.

I enjoy the patina that my CV blades acquire, and I find them easier to sharpen, but I can't see any difference in cutting performance between CV and Case SS. That being said, I buy CV first if I can find the pattern, scale color, etc. that I want. I agree that an option from Case for custom orders would be very welcome indeed.

IMAG0933.jpg
Finally the AGR Pinched Peanut has arrived!
It's everything as described earlier by others in this thread.
It has immidiately been put to work and to my surprise it is the smaller blade that is used the most.

Regards
Mikael

Last edited:
I'm happy to hear that you like it! That little Wharncliffe is a very handy blade!

Like it? I adore it!
The Wharncliffe is a first for me and I think the penblade compliment the mainblade in both looks and functionality.
I have had a Camillus singleblade for many years now, so I'm not new to peanuts but the penblade gives the knife that little extra.
Now starts the break-in procedure and I will put my own edge on the blades, making them "Carpentersharp".

Regards
Mikael

Like it? I adore it!
The Wharncliffe is a first for me and I think the penblade compliment the mainblade in both looks and functionality.
I have had a Camillus singleblade for many years now, so I'm not new to peanuts but the penblade gives the knife that little extra.
Now starts the break-in procedure and I will put my own edge on the blades, making them "Carpentersharp".

Regards
Mikael
Great to hear! I sharpened mine up when I got it. That VG-10 takes a great edge and keeps it!

Great to hear! I sharpened mine up when I got it. That VG-10 takes a great edge and keeps it!

I have great confidence in VG-10 from my use of Fällkniven models + the Hattori version of the Kershaw 1050 Folding Field.
The Camillus in 440A takes a wicked edge, but IMO VG-10 at RC 59-61 offers a lot more of wearresistance.
The Camillus single blade is really lightweight at 0,7oz (20gr) and the AGR is 1,4oz (40gr).
IMGP6514.JPG

The Camillus made short process of a 14' x 4' cardboard package for a kitchen worktop and was still sharp.
So I think 440A does the job well, but over time the edge will wear down a lot faster than VG-10.
IMGP6494.JPG
I expect the AGR to manage a lot more before dulling, time will tell.

IMGP6518.JPG
The peanuts are very elegant designs compared with my other small alternatives.
A combo of the AGR + the Ps4 will be my choice of minimalist tools.

Regards
Mikael

Last edited:
Back