Cult of the Texas Jack; why should the peaNUTS get all the glory

Same frame an extra blade

attachment.php

Yessir! Here's a pic of my Small Texas Jack next to it's bigger cousin, the Large Stockman. Hmmm... perhaps I also need a Large TJ as well? ;)

caseamber01_zpsdd6565a8.jpg

caseamber01_zpsfe5c4397.jpg

-Brett, Texas Jackalope, Esquire

I'm not much for the "us versus them" battle. However, the Case Small Texas Jack has been my recurring favorite knife since I got it a little over a year ago. It has had more pocket time than any other traditional, and so far this year has been my daily carry knife, along with a Victorinox Cadet.

I liked the pattern enough that it is the only one I have actual duplicates of. I have two of the Amber Bone CV Small Texas Jacks (62032 CV) and two of the Sunset Winterbottom Bone Medium Jacks (62032 SS).

The reason I have two of the Sunset Winterbottom knives was due to an ordering mistake. I had ordered from one vendor who didn't ship for over a week so I assumed was out of stock, so I ordered from a second vendor. Both eventually showed up.

The reason I bought two of the Amber Bone models was to do some patina experimentation on one of them and keep the other pristine. Since I had two of the SS models, that made me comfortable dyeing the handles on one and leaving the other original. So now I have 4 of them in that handle pattern, 2 in CV and two in SS, which works out to be 3 more than I really need.

I also have a full sized 6292 Texas Jack that would be about the ideal user knife if I needed to carry something bigger, but the 62032 Small Texas Jack is just about perfect for my needs.

Here are a few pics.

My first Small Texas Jack. Currently resting comfortably in its box on the shelf:

The second one, which is the one I am currently carrying. You can see the iridescent patina that had formed on the main blade from using it for a lot of fruit slicing:

One of the two Sunset Winterbottom Bone models. I thought it was a bit too bright on the red/yellow, so I dyed this one. Here's the before. I have an original that looks generally like this one still stored away.

Here's the after. I think it looks better overall.

This is what I have been carrying all year so far. Same knife as in the second pic, the patina has evolved over time with various cleanings and normal use, and doesn't quite look like this pic either, which was from earlier in the month.

Last edited:
I'm not much for the "us versus them" battle.

I truly hope that the good natured ribbing of the peanut fans was noticeable as just that
good fun.
I truly hope nobody thought i was being remotely serious about that part.

On topic :thumbup:
beautiful jacks. I Especially like your died version, you did an excellent job with it ;)

Here's a family photo I took a while back.

In addition to the two 62032 Medium Jack/Small Texas Jack (same pattern, two names), is a 62087 Medium Jack (not the same squared-bolster serpentine frame of the true Texas Jacks) and the full sized 6292 Texas Jack in CV that I got a good deal on last year from that big auction site.

Beautiful knife.... Can't wait to get the 66 you sold me. I have a nice yellow nut, a Texas Jack, an outlaw, and soon another 66...... All so capable & great in their own way. I'm a multi cult kinda guy I guess.
Peter

Man, we are getting to be as open minded as the peanut gallery!!
but yeah we dont mind gec 66 jacks in here

:D

The TJ gets my devotion over the P.nut, any day:thumbup:

But since GEC's 66 and Outlaw (rather rare knife, I think I could get interested) have been put up as pantheon candidates...let's not forget Queen Cutlery's pattern No.51 Jack either. It sports seductive D2 as well:cool:

I noticed that old Belknap Primble catalogs Codger gave a link to elsewhere today list the so called Case Moose pattern as a "Texas Jack." I have also found the knife listed as a Texas Hunter and Texas Tickler. The Case style Texas Jack was more often called a Premium Jack.

Back