Current model info for the EDC.

With Nathan & Lorien's permission, text (edited out first person so it doesn't sound like I am saying it or quoted where necessary) and pictures, I wanted to create a thread here, primarily for reference. Right now it's a condensed kinda WIP thread after the dividing line saving a reader from who knows how many pages in the other EDC thread there are as of today providing just the critical info.

Current info here:

The 3" EDC was designed as a collaboration with Lorien Arnold. It is a well made, no frills, high performance, small utility knife. The steel is Crucible CPM 3V at HRC 61-62 with a fully optimized heat treat with very good edge retention and edge stability. You'll be surprised how sharp this gets and how well it holds an edge. If you have never used 3V this hard and thin, it is gonna blow your mind.

This steel with this heat treat will support a fine edge, so this was taken down to .015" before sharpening (though I'm leaving some additional meat in the tip) and it was sharpened 18 degrees per side. This is relatively acute and it cuts very well, but is durable. They're also lightly hand ground after machining to give it a slight convex grind.

The primary grinds on these are more narrow than the Field Knife. They are quite "slicey"

Some might consider this a tactical knife but the point is not reinforced and it is not shaped or balanced as a weapon. It's thin behind the edge. It is a hard working cutting tool, a tradesman's knife and small woods knife.

It's very light weight.

The handle is ergonomically designed for a standard forward, reverse, saber and pinch grips for an average to relatively large hand. Despite its compact size it fills the hand and allows extended hard work without hand fatigue. The tang is internally skeletonized. The scales are 3D sculpted CNC machined. The blade is made of 1/8” 3V with a heat treat that has been optimized to maximize edge stability in rough use (see video). Despite being relatively thin it is very durable.

A side effect of this heat treat is a higher percentage of free chromium, so although it is not stainless, it is nearly so.

Specs:
3V, 61-62 HRC, .135” thick at ricasso (a hair over 1/8")
Total length 7.5”
Blade length 3.2”
Weight 4.8 oz
Edge angle 18 DPS
.020" BTE
Grippy 3D machined scales in micarta or G10
Black oxide treated 18-8 stainless steel fasteners
Hidden lanyard

Choice of vertical or horizontal Kydex sheath made by Dan Crotts of Dozier Knives. If you want one of both sheaths, an extra sheath is $50.

Be aware the horizontal sheath has very high retention. You can't remove the knife by pulling straight back, you have to tilt it up at the same time. See video. If you want something that's easy to get in and out of you should choose the vertical pouch sheath.

$215 in canvas micarta, natural or black
$225 in black or OD green G10
$235 in maroon linen micarta, camo micarta or black/blue G10
Shipping in the USA is $10.

Includes a good kydex sheath, choose vertical or horizontal. An extra sheath is $50

2.jpg~original

1.jpg~original

3.jpg~original

4.jpg~original

5.jpg~original

6.jpg~original

7.jpg~original

8.jpg~original

9.jpg~original

10.jpg~original

11.jpg~original

12.jpg~original

13.jpg~original

13.jpg~original

14.jpg~original

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the development info as it was shared in chronological order:

News broke on June 17th, 2016 with an announcement by Lorien:

"Nate and I have been working on a fixed blade EDC knife for your average beer swillin', knuckle draggin' working man, and it will be equally useful for metrosexuals, hipsters, uber drivers and punk kids. We don't want to leave anyone out:)"

On June 19th, Lorien posted:

image_zpsxzukxpgn.jpeg

June 28th, yet another teaser, this time from Nathan.

1.jpg~original

Followed up by this pic from Lorien:

"here's a photo I found of one of the models I made;"

edc2_zpsgc70thid.jpg

And this::

edc_zpsljmwgxlt.jpg

And this...:

edc3_zpsttpp3usy.jpg

Nathan followed up with:

"It'll be D3V, but I've bumped the hardness to HRC 62 trading off some toughness for wear resistance. Similar animal, but tweaked for the smaller knife, same as the Field Knives.

Both thickness and primary grind angle are thinned down some. It will be .135", just a hair over 1/8"."

And replied to chiral.grolim's question:

"Wanted to add, any plans for pushing the edge geometry on this one below 0.020 at the shoulder, maybe even as low as 0.010"?"

With:

" considered that, and I may grind a few really thin like that, but the concept for this knife is a rough and ready user for a trades person and a convenient woods knife. Cut and strip wire, deburr PVC pipe, cut the bump off the end of a cut 2X4 etc. I use stuff like this in the shop and I think nothing of shaving a little metal off a fixture etc. It's convenient to have a tool that doesn't need any special care to keep from damaging it.

I love a really thin knife, and I'll make some, but this guy is going to be pretty middle-of-the-road.

edit to add: I will grind a few extra thin, just for you"

June 30th brought more pics provided by Lorien

OJCCJwB_zpsvqhzy7we.jpg

pU2kbOC_zpsh3tmjbqu.jpg

PXg4yTy_zpsfahm90if.jpg

mXIxiFD_zpsfn4hye2y.jpg

And this little tidbit:

"the EDC is designed to allow for cord wrapping, or straight up nothing, if you need to shed some weight."

Lorien on July 6th:

"From Nathan;

I got the first of the scales milled today. This is the blade I'm sending to the sheath maker, it hasn't been heat treated or tumbled so it's a little shiny and unfinished, but the pictures give a good idea what the finished knife will look like."

1.jpgoriginal_zps1c5bbjou.jpg

2.jpgoriginal_zpsux5uwz58.jpg

3.jpgoriginal_zpsjeiyigbw.jpg

Nathan posted in this Thread on August 2nd:

Specs:
3V, 61-62 HRC, .135” thick at ricasso
Total length 7.5”
Blade length 3.2”
Weight 4.8 oz
Edge angle 18 DPS
.020" BTE
Hidden lanyard

Choice of vertical or horizontal Kydex sheath made by Dan Crotts of Dozier Knives

edc.jpg~original

August 3rd:

Two videos.

First is Sheath information:

[video=youtube;HiG_KqF06KY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiG_KqF06KY[/video]

Second is durability testing!

[video=youtube;zC_-PIFw-KA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC_-PIFw-KA[/video]

August 3rd:

The 3" EDC was designed as a collaboration with Lorien Arnold. It is a well made, no frills, high performance, small utility knife. The steel is Crucible CPM 3V at HRC 61-62 with a fully optimized heat treat with very good edge retention and edge stability. You'll be surprised how sharp this gets and how well it holds an edge. If you have never used 3V this hard and thin, it is gonna blow your mind.

This steel with this heat treat will support a fine edge, so this was taken down to .015" before sharpening (though I'm leaving some additional meat in the tip now) and it was sharpened 18 degrees per side. This is relatively acute and it cuts very well, but is durable. They're also lightly hand ground after machining to give it a slight convex grind.

The primary grinds on these are more narrow than the Field Knife. They are quite "slicey"

Some might consider this a tactical knife but the point is not reinforced and it is not shaped or balanced as a weapon. It's thin behind the edge. It is a hard working cutting tool, a tradesman's knife and small woods knife.

It's very light weight.

The handle is ergonomically designed for a standard forward, reverse, saber and pinch grips for an average to relatively large hand. Despite its compact size it fills the hand and allows extended hard work without hand cramps. The tang is internally skeletonized. The scales are 3D sculpted CNC machined. The blade is made of 1/8” 3V with a heat treat that has been optimized to maximize edge stability in rough use (see video). Despite being relatively thin it is reasonably durable.

A side effect of this heat treat is a higher percentage of free chromium, so although it is not stainless, it is nearly so.

Specs:
3V, 61-62 HRC, .135” thick at ricasso (a hair over 1/8")
Total length 7.5”
Blade length 3.2”
Weight 4.8 oz
Edge angle 18 DPS
.020" BTE
Grippy 3D machined scales in micarta or G10
Black oxide treated 18-8 stainless steel fasteners
Hidden lanyard

Choice of vertical or horizontal Kydex sheath made by Dan Crotts of Dozier Knives.

Be aware the horizontal sheath has very high retention. You can not remove the knife by pulling straight back, you have to tilt it up at the same time. If you want something that's easy to get in and out of you should choose the vertical pouch sheath.

These are all “field grade”, “as machined” and stonewashed with tool and grind marks.

$215 in micarta, black or brown
$225 in black G10
Shipping in the USA is $10.

Includes a good kydex sheath, choose vertical or horizontal.

edc.jpg~original

1.jpg~original

2.jpg~original

3.jpg~original

4.jpg~original

5.jpg~original

6.jpg~original

7.jpg~original

8.jpg~original

9.jpg~original

10.jpg~original

11.jpg~original

13.jpg~original

14.jpg~original

I think that will be the end of this one, unless we see some more handle material.

Hope this has been helpful!

Last edited:
Definitely plan on getting one of these. It's funny, I remember asking Nathan at Bladeshow if they planned on doing a smaller blade.
But what I really want is an 8" light chopper.

I can't wait for these. I love my field knife.

Hi Adam, good to see you buddy. Those field knives are so good aren't they?!

Thanks for the effort on these model specs JF. This edc looks like another great one.

Looks like my other small blades may need to find some new homes in the near future...

That looks really sweet, and the handle looks like it will fill ones hand nicely ! Any chance of a picture in hand ?
Thanks for the pics :D

Everything available is in here. There are pics of the blank in a hand though.

Ok thank you, I did see the blank in hand. Was just more curious to the handle scales. I'm sure I'll want one at least anyway lol. Looks great

Noice! I have been wanting an edc-sized fixed blade bad. Very exciting to see this in progress. :thumbup:

With this having some forward progression underway, having scales milled and such, would it be possible to get some measurements?
Handle, blade, oal length?

Thanks a Ton, subscribed.

Justin, off topic buy I want to be sure you received my message.
Please check your email.

Back