• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Custom Benchmade Scales

Ryan,
I am looking for scale options for a Benchmade 940 (or 940-2)… the thing is... they've got to be PINK! It's a gift. What are my options? Also, I prefer barrel spacers.
Thank you.

The only solid pink option I can think of is pink G10. This might be the only picture I have really showing the pink G10:
EKjpFRvh.jpg

I honestly can't even think of any other pink materials that would be suitable for making a 940 with. There might be some resin or kirinite materials in pink, but those would only really be suitable as an inlay. Sorry I don't have any other options for you. Someone needing to have pink knife handles doesn't come up all that often. Anyway, email me if you're interested in having a set made. Ryan_M_Roberts@hotmail.com

A few from this week:

Carbon Fiber Slim Griptilian
pVRXvsTh.jpg

EDoLkjah.jpg

8tTBJczh.jpg

Black G10 Slim Griptilian with texture milling and solid spacer
T9ZyA5ph.jpg

ZCCOVw4h.jpg

Coarse black peel ply G10 940
B7z2xbjh.jpg

nriNCgvh.jpg

Regular black G10 940 with solid spacer
AkW4avlh.jpg

ZVpQDfEh.jpg

Black paper micarta bolster, silve twill accents, kirnite back half full size griptilian
5dAp3t4h.jpg

MTQNGcdh.jpg

Mini griptilian in gray g10 with orange liners and pivot collar
KiPpIaUh.jpg

RCzQIzyh.jpg

cjhsHw5h.jpg

Some stuff from this week.

The Slim Griptilian and the updated mini griptilian with option texture milled area. (full size full thickness griptilian will be the next one I update with textures)
aPguKrmh.png

Nklye2nh.jpg

oVRpbyxh.jpg

Coyote G10 Spacer for the standard 940
EZDtkqSh.jpg

Black Canvas full size griptilian
fopBABoh.jpg

0CB8QZ0h.jpg

Olive drab green and black G10 mini grip
RlRGD7mh.jpg

okh1uMlh.jpg

Gray G10 940
ksZYAERh.jpg

ZWWqcEQh.jpg

Jade G10 940-2
H1MCIPHh.jpg

IGrOIb7h.jpg

Carbon fiber full size with aquamarine mother of pearl liners
QYq2fodh.jpg

KlrLEegh.jpg

Updated full size full thickness griptilian. Not a lot different but I can do textures and stuff now over the contoured surface. I think I have enough textured designs for the "inlay" area. Next I'm going to work on some textures to cover the entire scale.
0sc6AMah.jpg

2aY4ploh.jpg

KCoHTe9h.jpg

mZ2U0Rwh.jpg

EyXjirNh.jpg

Also another CF Slim griptilian
9HtbLFEh.jpg

And a micarta mini barrage and mini griptilian
086jkdxh.jpg

TnvB0rjh.jpg

This may have been answered already somewhere....

I'm patiently waiting for you to offer Bugout scales (HURRY UP ALREADY! haha, kidding, kindasorta).

When they're available, I've got two questions 'cause I can't decide if I want micarta or carbon fiber:
With the no-liner construction of the Bugout, is micarta strong enough to hold up long term? I've never had anything with micarta so I'm pretty ignorant.

Wearing in :: I know the look of micarta will change over time, and in a good way IMO, I like it. Any photos of a carbon fiber scaled knife after a few years of wear and tear?

When new carbon fiber looks amazing...but if it looks worn out vs worn in after a few years I'll likely go with micarta.

Ryan i would like to buy some scales sir. Mini griptilian in gray g10 with orange liners and pivot collar

Please contact me.

Josh
479747055two
Gasket98@hotmail

Thanks

Sorry I haven't checked the thread in awhile.

This may have been answered already somewhere....

I'm patiently waiting for you to offer Bugout scales (HURRY UP ALREADY! haha, kidding, kindasorta).

When they're available, I've got two questions 'cause I can't decide if I want micarta or carbon fiber:
With the no-liner construction of the Bugout, is micarta strong enough to hold up long term? I've never had anything with micarta so I'm pretty ignorant.

Wearing in :: I know the look of micarta will change over time, and in a good way IMO, I like it. Any photos of a carbon fiber scaled knife after a few years of wear and tear?

When new carbon fiber looks amazing...but if it looks worn out vs worn in after a few years I'll likely go with micarta.
I probably will not be doing micarta scales for the bugout. The scales are too thin and it doesn't have nearly any steel liner to it. I think I'll stick to G10 and micarta for that model when I get to it.
Here's a couple shots of my well used micarta mini grip:
ybgPPh2.jpg

VzwIACsh.jpg

Carbon fiber on the other hand basically looks new forever. The pattern really hides any wear and scratches from your eyes and the color does not change over time.

Ryan i would like to buy some scales sir. Mini griptilian in gray g10 with orange liners and pivot collar

Please contact me.

Josh
479747055two
Gasket98@hotmail

Thanks

Just send me an email if you're interested: Ryan_M_Roberts@hotmail.com

Here's some stuff from this week.
Black G10 Griptilian with orange G10 liners and spiral texture plus a solid black G10 backspacer
LN4G9xgh.jpg

LtT120fh.jpg

Jade G10 Slim Griptilian
yBPqnb6h.jpg

Gray G10 Explorer style Griptilian, orange G10 liners and pivot collar
qz0cr5Uh.jpg

FP7EKAbh.jpg

Canvas micarta flat sided griptilian
W2bxLdGh.jpg

Canvas micarta mini griptilian with moonglow spacer
JNbGZCOh.jpg

1rYETMkh.jpg

Olive Drab Green G10 griptilian with orange G10 liners
VX3Vpe9h.jpg

4dya23Nh.jpg

Carbon Fiber griptilian with blue G10 liners
XN98ac5h.jpg

dr9GuxPh.jpg

Black G10 mini griptilian with dyed burl inlays
Zjk3QuWh.jpg

Black peel ply g10 940
Gwb4EGwh.jpg

Red shred CF barrage with red G10 liners
BKHHDjgh.jpg

SsKePKzh.jpg

Carbon fiber mini griptilian
rjFEaczh.jpg

Gray G10 940 with dyed gray maple burl inlays and spacer
TaJpgVAh.jpg

tMhMAU7h.jpg

Last edited:
Moonglow scales for the Bugout a possibility?
Haven't finished the bugout program yet. Hopefully by the end of February. Moonglow scales won't be a possibility for that knife though. The scales are too thin and it doesn't have much of any steel liner to support the scales, moonglow is not strong enough for the job. It might be that I'll be able to do some kind of CF or G10 scales with glow accents or inlays though. We'll have to wait and see what I come up with when I get that far.

Go ahead, just crush my soul. Its fine.
(lol, thanks for the heads up)
Are moonglow spacers for the Bugout a possibility?

Last edited:
Go ahead, just crush my soul. Its fine.
(lol, thanks for the heads up)
Are moonglow spacers for the Bugout a possibility?
They might be when I get to programming the bugout. Unfortunately I'm way behind where I want to be with that project. Sorry for the delay. Hopefully for march sometime.

Been awhile again, so here's a bunch.
KBsDXmfh.jpg

0UKfRCEh.jpg

HWiCX5qh.jpg

hN2i2Ubh.jpg

1RbD4hsh.jpg

aPWEuX9h.jpg

vQNwHqjh.jpg

wlZOkTDh.jpg

5ZqHV1th.jpg

ZdbHvY8h.jpg

VEYehlBh.jpg

767lkaIh.jpg

pcoApDyh.jpg

xS3eTFNh.jpg

6qkcYqCh.jpg

54xzCM4h.jpg

DUSvq4zh.jpg

7lFVqyDh.jpg

uTvJ8Urh.jpg

xKX7RQjh.jpg

WOW!!! Your scales are amazing!
I would love to buy some for my Mini Grip. Do you have any Macassar ebony wood? I would love to buy the entire scales made of Macassar ebony instead of just the inlay. I have some Macassar ebony blanks & veneer if you need some. Can you make the entire scales of stabilized wood as well?

Dude, you're an artist and a genius. I'm going to order some scales for my mini grip as soon as I can decide which one. So many good choices!

Last edited:
WOW!!! Your scales are amazing!
I would love to buy some for my Mini Grip. Do you have any Macassar ebony wood? I would love to buy the entire scales made of Macassar ebony instead of just the inlay. I have some Macassar ebony blanks & veneer if you need some. Can you make the entire scales of stabilized wood as well?

Sorry I missed this one. I don't do full wood scales. Even with the hardest stabilized hardwoods about half the ones I tried end up cracking around the axis lock. It's just too thin there. That's one of the reasons I came up with the inlaid and bolstered look, so you can get some of the classy wood look, but have a good composite up front where more strength is needed. Sorry again, you're definitely not the first one to ask about full wood scales.

It has been much too long again. Here's some highlights from the last two weeks.

So since 3 different inlay patterns weren't enough for the 940, why not add another. This one lets you keep the chamfers down the sides... it's sort of a faux bolster. This one is marbled carbon fiber body with lightning strike carbon fiber bolster inlay.
rtPFZOBh.jpg

BnKsFaGh.jpg

7dj0yAZh.jpg

xyiniSxh.jpg

Python Canvas Micarta
TfYVZZHh.jpg

NH9Bfxvh.jpg

Carbon Fiber bolster with bloodmoney back half and spacer
o53QmM9h.jpg

3c9c7S5h.jpg

Black G10 with full length "Cosby Sweater" BWP inlays and spacer
nA3jYsuh.jpg