Cutco Hunting Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a good knife because I have an older knife from them and if I send it in for repair and they can't fix it they will replace it with the Hunting knife. Or I can keep my old knife and get this knife for 50% of retail price

If you like it and it works well for you then it is a good knife. What is the blade steel? Does it need repair or just re-sharpening? Many times an older version of a popular brand may have different steel then the newer ones. Sometimes better, sometimes not. Which hunting knife is it? They have a few.

just the regular hunting knife the item description is called hunting knife in gift box

Ok, if you can answer the other two questions in my post I might be able to help you.

Ok, if you can answer the other two questions in my post I might be able to help you.

Well, a couple of years ago when my friend sold Cutco knives for the summer they were all made of 440C which I'm sure is still the case. Although they primarily make kitchen knives (and decent ones in my opinion) I would think that their hunting knife would be a decent utility piece.

Oh sorry SOLEIL Im not sure which steel it is I think its stainless but I'm not sure and it only needs repair you see the tip broke off

No problem Ace, just looking for info. Thanks for the info. Max. 440C is good stuff and as Max stated it should serve you well. Do you or anyone you know have the ability to fix the tip? It is not difficult with the right tools and a little knowledge. If I can't fix one and don't have something to use in its place while it it being repaired I usually end up getting a new one while waiting on the old one. 440C is good stuff and Cutco appears to have a good warranty. I do not have any experience with this brand or their customer service. If Cutco serves you well and you really like them, then yes it is a good knife. I would be tempted to keep the old one to fix myself if I could get a new one for 50% off. But I also have the tools and knowledge to do the fixing. I have repaired/modded many knives over the years that are still great users.

alright thanks man thats just the kind of info I looking for you guys are really nice here at bladeforums

The Cutco hunter you are speaking of is a fine knife if used for cutting/slicing etc. It does not, however, rank with even a Buck 119 in terms of raw strength. Cutco makes a 440 blade which remains sharp for an extended period of time due to the edge configuration. For limited hunting applications, I'd give it a thumbs up. Such a knife is almost impossible to sharpen unless you send it back to the factory. Their customer service is usually pretty good with returns.

The Cutco hunter you are speaking of is a fine knife if used for cutting/slicing etc. It does not, however, rank with even a Buck 119 in terms of raw strength. Cutco makes a 440 blade which remains sharp for an extended period of time due to the edge configuration. For limited hunting applications, I'd give it a thumbs up. Such a knife is almost impossible to sharpen unless you send it back to the factory. Their customer service is usually pretty good with returns.

What is this edge configuration that can not be sharpened?

Cutco has what they call the double D grind on some knives. This is basically their own version of a serrated blade, and in my experience, you'd be hard pressed to sharpen one properly. I have a few of their serrated knives which I use in the kitchen and they've held up well. Check out the Cutco web page and they can assist you directly with the sharpening. As I mentioned before, the 440 steel is ok for most applications. I have some very old Cutco carvers which have been in the family for over 15 years. These feature a normal edge. I like the handle style on the older versions. Some people love Cutco and then others have a beef with their marketing plans. Each to his own.

i'm a Cutco rep, i'll do my best to answer all of your questions. i have this knife myself, and it's my favorite in my extensive collection of hunting and other random knives. if it's damaged or needs to be sharpened, just send it in, and they'll always fix it or just give you a new one. the DD edge is a unique blade edge that only Cutco uses b/c we're the only ones that can afford to do it, lol. basically it's a way to have the clean cut of a straight edge, but to also protect the edges from dulling on hard surfaces. it involves having 3 different straight edges cutting in 3 different directions in between every little protective point. you CANNOT sharpen it yourself. but if you have your receipt it'll have the number of the office the rep was from, and you can call them. most of us higher up sales reps have special sharpening kits and we'll come right to your house and sharpen all of your Cutco for you. if you dont wanna bother with us, you can just mail it in, and they'll take care of it. you'll have it back in about 2 weeks. all of our blades are made of high carbon surgical stainless steel, so it doesn't rust pit or corrode like regular stainless doesn't, but it keeps a good edge like a carbon blade. our handle is made of thermo-resin, which is HIGHLY resistant to chipping, cracking, melting, and breaking in general. and is completely non-porous so it wont absorb any water or bacteria, like the wood handles on most hunting knives. and bone handles crack easily and lose any color they might have on them if they get hot and wet (most of mine have). point is, i HIGHLY recommend it to any hunter that's looking for a knife. it's won a few awards by the way. let me know if you have anymore questions.

i'm a Cutco rep, i'll do my best to answer all of your questions. i have this knife myself, and it's my favorite in my extensive collection of hunting and other random knives. if it's damaged or needs to be sharpened, just send it in, and they'll always fix it or just give you a new one. the DD edge is a unique blade edge that only Cutco uses b/c we're the only ones that can afford to do it, lol. basically it's a way to have the clean cut of a straight edge, but to also protect the edges from dulling on hard surfaces. it involves having 3 different straight edges cutting in 3 different directions in between every little protective point. you CANNOT sharpen it yourself. but if you have your receipt it'll have the number of the office the rep was from, and you can call them. most of us higher up sales reps have special sharpening kits and we'll come right to your house and sharpen all of your Cutco for you. if you dont wanna bother with us, you can just mail it in, and they'll take care of it. you'll have it back in about 2 weeks. all of our blades are made of high carbon surgical stainless steel, so it doesn't rust pit or corrode like regular stainless doesn't, but it keeps a good edge like a carbon blade. our handle is made of thermo-resin, which is HIGHLY resistant to chipping, cracking, melting, and breaking in general. and is completely non-porous so it wont absorb any water or bacteria, like the wood handles on most hunting knives. and bone handles crack easily and lose any color they might have on them if they get hot and wet (most of mine have). point is, i HIGHLY recommend it to any hunter that's looking for a knife. it's won a few awards by the way. let me know if you have anymore questions.

Bwahahahaha! :barf:

Gimme a break.

Wow. Surgical steel- that IS impressive.

Well of course you highly recommend them. You sell them.:rolleyes:

"thermo-resin"
"Surgical Stainless steel"

These desscriptors have no technical meaning and can be applied to any number of materials. And BTW, alloys that are typically described as "surgical stainless" in the technical literature have too little carbon to be of interest to knife users.

I will not buy nor use a serrated blade for hunting or EDC.

i'm a Cutco rep, .... you CANNOT sharpen it yourself. ...... all of our blades are made of high carbon surgical stainless steel, .....our handle is made of thermo-resin, .... it's won a few awards by the way. ......

Dude, that info probably did more to discourage most of us from buying one than just leaving this thread alone. Some of the mis-informed people had us thinking the steel was 440c. Now we know.

I probably won't be buying one.

awarded by whom? rhetorical, don't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back