1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 37 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Sabol Brothers Kiridashi , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Cutco Hunting Knife

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by aceofblades, Apr 3, 2007.

1. meliaant

meliaant

Sep 10, 2008
    I sincerely was joking...their kitchen knives aren't too bad, but aren't too good either, when you consider how much $$ you spend...for the same price, you can have a set of Wusthof or Henckels you can practically plan on passing to your children if cared for properly...as for the hunting knife, all I know is the handle is really nice...unfortunately, it takes a lot more than that to make a good knife.

2. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Cutco is indeed the same company as Kabar. I've had a customer before who was a head of production for them. It was pretty funny, too, because he had this little MOP-handled gents knife with a "DD" edge. I asked him if he could provide any real reason why it would work better than a regular serration. He made the usual claims, but the instant I started calling him on them he finally admitted "there is no difference. It's all really marketing." He was good with with his BS but no match for someone who knew what they were talking about. :D

3. Phil Elmore

Phil Elmore

Feb 28, 2002
    They're not necessarily the same company; they're owned by the same parent, Alcas. We have no way of knowing to what degree the two companies actually share manufacturing facilities and management, unless someone at Alcas feels like sharing that information.

4. Bellasdaddy

Bellasdaddy

Oct 19, 2008
    If you go to the Kabar website there is a "Company Info" page for Cutco/Kabar. Also, if you click on "visitor center," there is a photo of their office with Cutco and Ka-Bar in a combined logo so it appears that they acknowledge the relationship right there. I imagine (key word "imagine") that it may be something like a Hummer/Chevy/GM relationship where Hummer could be sold off from GM. What do I know?? (rhetrorical)

5. Phil Elmore

Phil Elmore

Feb 28, 2002
    The relationship is not secret, no, but you never know to what degree two divisions are really "the same company" unless that company tells you.

6. tomcrx

tomcrx

Jun 7, 2007
    I would assume close since when ALCAS bought them they eventually moved all operations and assets back to Olean NY from Ohio. Also all executive offices for both divisions shared the same address and phone numbers for 9 years until 2003

7. Phil Elmore

Phil Elmore

Feb 28, 2002
    Given that, and the fact that Ka-bar's marketing doesn't suffer from the colossal ignorance of Cutco's, what do you suppose the disconnect might be?

8. markksr

markksr

Mar 15, 2007
    Maybe they're not really the same company?

9. Phil Elmore

Phil Elmore

Feb 28, 2002
    ...which brings us back where we started, dang it.

10. udtjim

udtjim

Sep 4, 2007
    I have never owned one but I know quite a few people who do. I have never heard a bad word about them from anyone who really used them. My son is a Chef and has used a few of their kitchen knives that other chefs brought to work. Although he uses mostly Shun's he rates the Cutco right up near the top of knives that he has used. One friend has had his hunting knife from them for 25 years and he loves it. I try to not knock or praise anything that I have not tried so thats all I know about them. I am not lucky enough to know it all.

11. Phil Elmore

Phil Elmore

Feb 28, 2002
    The ones I've handled seemed like perfectly decent knives. I think the issue is the company's presentation and its pricing, not the products themselves.

12. udtjim

udtjim

Sep 4, 2007
    That could well be. I don't know much about the company.:)

13. Loosearrow

Loosearrow

Apr 14, 2008
    I was given a cutco fillet knife a few years ago. The blade was somewhat adjustable within the handle. It has been a good knife with an interesting sheath. It seems they are very expensive for what they are but it works just fine and I appreciated the gift. If I had a broken hunting knife and could get a free replacement I would send it in. If not I would regrind it. We believe what we believe till we learn different. Cutco has an interesting marketing method. Maybe it's good to go through sales like this. It helps you learn to handle rejection and maybe build up confidence. It's like getting the kids in grade school to sell stuff to win junk. I never liked that ploy.

14. dipbait

dipbait

Feb 9, 2008
    I have the fillet knife also. Havent used it yet. I didnt know they were made of unobtainium;). That sounds impressive.

15. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    Strange that the "Lexus" line costs less. 0___0

16. Mike L.

Mike L.

Aug 19, 1999
    Another Cutco shill...:grumpy:

17. Poez

Poez

Jul 5, 2010
    Whoa: like $194 for a knife with a blade made of "high carbon surgical stainless steel"! What a deal!
    I thought that steel is only available in China-made knives!

18. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    speedair2--you forgot to mention that Vector does all the marketing. Figure you already know that, since I'm pretty sure they're your boss. :rolleyes:

19. timbit

timbit

Jul 21, 2011
    Cutco uses sub=par steels for the price you pay. The edge they ship is finished on a 400 grit belt sander. You'd be better off buying a different brand that offers better bang for your buck.

20. Bill1170

Bill1170 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Warning - zombie thread walking, seeks BRAINS.