Cutco Hunting Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, lots of hate here. First I have seen it here on this site. Sad, but it is a public forum I suppose.

What can you expect from a sales rep but them promoting their product? Its merchandising 101. Same as Kirby vacuums or Fuller brushes. Or Snap-on tools. Their salesmen are trained, and to be able to sell, they have to believe it themselves. Ehh, who cares. Blah blah blah

A few years back my son in law became one of their sales reps, so we bought a few of their knives to help him out. Seems we got some sort of discount, not sure. All I can say is they are nice knives. We use them alot and they seem to hold an edge pretty well, maybe better than many others. I also have the hunting knife which my sil bought for me for Christmas. It has a serrated edge and a rubber handle so I don't use it much, but it is very sharp. Then I was rewiring this older house a few years back and found one of them, an old one with a different looking handle and a straight blade. It looked like it had been used a lot but it was still razor sharp. The new home owner told me to keep it and a nice Japanese bayonet I also found. Turns out the Cutco knife is from the 60's or early 70s. But the warranty still covers it. I checked with Cutco.

I'm not sold on these knives but figure they are better than most, and I do not go for the door to door salesman routines either. Although I do have a gen 4 or 5 Kirby and a toolbox with lots of Snap-on tools (all from the 70's when I was a professional mechanic). I have found that sometimes, sometimes, you can overlook the hype and still end up with better than avg items.

just my $.02 here

Sorry I could not post a pic of it but...I have, what I believe to be the first fixed blade 'Cutco' ever made. Let me describe it to you..10" OAL, handle in that 'red/black' phenol composition with the initials of the handle designer in one of the finger grooves and the patent number 2390544 in another finger groove. The blade; 1/8", looks like HC steel that was once mirror polished in the 'Kukri' shape! Yes, 'Gurkha' 5 1/4" with 1765 on one side of the tang and B79 made in USA on the other. Now for the 'kicker, on both sides of the bevel near the tip, in a scroll, is the word 'CUTCO'. Aluminum 'beak' pommel, full tang with pewter or lead or something filled tang end. Came in a 'DOT' snap sheath that seems to be original. This knife looks nothing like any current 'Cutco' product and I'm looking forward to comments. I will get around to posting a pic.

Lots of hate on this site! Haha. I do work for CUTCO, so my opinion is biased (admittedly at least). But as a former chef who had used every other brand of kitchen knife, it is nice to know that when I break a CUTCO knife, it will be replaced with the same knife at no charge, and customers agree. Unlike others, I'm not here to contest the worthiness of the knives, I have customers all the time that show me sets over 50 years old, so I feel no need to prove the quality, I will just state the facts that are in question in this particular thread.
The steel we use is 440A high carbon surgical grade stainless.
The metal is a U.S. Grade steel that comes from a forge in upstate New York .
The "business opportunity" is a flat rate paid position unless you make sales, THEN you get commission.
There is no longer a deposit required on the sample sets that independent sales reps use (like there was when I started! Yes I paid the $150 premium to start selling the blades. Again this is no longer required from our sales force)
@dosagaki - the item you have is most likely a vintage 1765 hunting knife, also known as a "puma". This blade was discontinued prior to the generation 3 knives being implemented in 1979, which means it is at least 36 years old. Hopefully this sheds some light on a few topics for anyone else who stumbles on this, and if you guys have any other questions, direct them at me. I will give you a no-BS answer

Cheers
-NC

The steel we use is 440A high carbon surgical grade stainless.

There is no such thing as "surgical grade" steel.

Misinformation such as that explains some of the "disinterest" in Cutco knives.

Not defending Cutco, but surgical stainless does seem to be an actual thing. 440A has an extremely high chromium content, which makes it one of the most corrosion resistant hardenable steels, and long used for instruments.

https://www.distance.purdue.edu/training/cssp/cis/pdf/cis215.pdf

It isn't a cutlery industry or steel industry term, but it appears that the medical industry may have a point of view, too.

You're correct, kind of. While there is no specific combination of nickel chromium and iron that creates a magical "surgical grade" stainless, it is common practice to refer to and 316, 420, or 440 grade stainless, that has undergone heat treatment process, and can sufficiently resist corrosion, as surgical grade. I wouldn't label it "misinformation" so much as a self declaration of quality.

Frankly, CUTCO would be better off simply stating that they use 440A high corosion resistant stainless

"Surgical steel": There are entire lists of words that sound vaguely positive but have no meaning to which the user can be held. Ideal for the ethically-challenged.

"Surgical steel": There are entire lists of words that sound vaguely positive but have no meaning to which the user can be held. Ideal for the ethically-challenged.

The term "Surgical stainless" (when used by us at least, I cannot speak on behalf of other manufacturers) simply means that we guarantee the steel not to rust. If they do rust we replace them at no charge.

Well, a couple of years ago when my friend sold Cutco knives for the summer they were all made of 440C which I'm sure is still the case. Although they primarily make kitchen knives (and decent ones in my opinion) I would think that their hunting knife would be a decent utility piece.
No. They're 440A. My ex's niece was selling them and trying to get us to buy things so I asked that question. 440A.

OP: I'm not a hunter but from what I see, there are better knives out there for the money.

Lots of hate on this site! Haha. I do work for CUTCO, so my opinion is biased (admittedly at least). But as a former chef who had used every other brand of kitchen knife, it is nice to know that when I break a CUTCO knife, it will be replaced with the same knife at no charge, and customers agree.

No offense but if I break one of your knives IN THE KITCHEN...I won't bother with a warranty replacement. I'd look to a different company.

I've used pretty much all the cutco knives and the only ones worth buying IMO are the steak knives. The chefs, paring, santoku knives I tried weren't all that great. They're just adequate. I'd be all over Forschner before Cutco. Save some money and get better knives. YMMV

The term "Surgical stainless" (when used by us at least, I cannot speak on behalf of other manufacturers) simply means that we guarantee the steel not to rust. If they do rust we replace them at no charge.

In that case, it might be good if Cutco included that alleged promise in its "Forever Guarantee." It does not do so at present.

Yes. Amazing that someone from Cutco would want to bring this to life. Cutco's Internet strategy of drowning negative posts is usually operated more cleverly.

Somehow, after perusing the website, I get the impression that any of the Outdoor knives would likely be purchased by a woman for a man, probably as a gift, and of those men, maybe 50% would actually try to use it, AND- if it breaks, having any sense whatsoever, he's not about to mention it. ;)

Nicholas Carson Boercker reviewed Cutco Kitchen - Atlanta — 5 star
December 27, 2014 ·
I love my Cutco knives! Had them almost 5 years and I cook every day. I can't imagine using anything else!

Kristine Boercker reviewed Cutco Kitchen - Atlanta — 5 star
September 29, 2014 ·
Love my Cutco! Best investment I've made for my kitchen!!!

Nicholas Boercker
Store manager - Cutco Cutlery
Saint Louis, MissouriConsumer Goods
Current
CUTCO Cutlery
Previous
Vector Marketing
Education
East Central College

stability.
“The handles are made out of what's called Thermo-resin. It's the same material bowling balls are made of,” says Nick Boercker, manager of the Cutco Store in Creve Coeur. “

nicholas ‏@boercker 25 Sep 2013
@CUTCOCutlery OR BRING THEM TO THE STORE FOR SHARPENING!!!!
11641 olive blvd, STL mo 63141

Cutco Kitchen
Is this your business? Claim your profile
3330 piedmont rd NE Suite 21
Atlanta, ga 30305
(404) 300-9343

I used to think "Surgical Steel" was very cool. Around 1978 or so...LOL

pi_zps50xiyuea.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back