DEK3

LCL1AK1.jpg

Is this the DEK3?

Cool looking knife but more of a clip point than a wharncliffe isn’t it?

Also, did I read that correctly that it will be spec’ed at 0.125” thick? That sounds real good.

.125" and probably around 7"?
it's super nimble, handle is very svelte
Nice, please report as soon as the knife sees kitchen duty, would like to know how it performs.

And don't forget to post pictures of the aftermath and the recipe for good measure.

My kitchen knife (gyuto) is 8in long and I've been considering moving towards the 10in blade length. In the kitchen is the only place where I've felt that my knife could be longer.

Cheers and again, it's a beautiful knife! Congrats to the Mrs!

qwEEgz6.jpg

the finish isn't there quite yet. I fiddled around with the temperatures a little bit to end up with harder steel, and it seemed to work because hand rubbing this thing is a pain in the neck

got this kitchen knife all slapped together today, and now that it's done enough that we can use it, I'll be back at DEK3 which is coming along but hand sanding is a slow process
TuBYUAT.jpg
Today I used my dek1 for food duty, those notches on the handle really favor a pinch grip. If you release this chef knife for sale sometime, and manage to make it a inch or two longer, you will have a winner on your hands.

Cheers!

Today I used my dek1 for food duty, those notches on the handle really favor a pinch grip. If you release this chef knife for sale sometime, and manage to make it a inch or two longer, you will have a winner on your hands.

Cheers!
kitchen knife is totally designed for that grip. It's actually not a bad first try if I do say so myself. It was a little daunting just thinking about how do you grind a knife like that but once I got going it came pretty natural. I like food knives more now, having made one for us to use, and think I might focus my attention toward that facet of cutlery somewhat more in the future

kitchen knife is totally designed for that grip. It's actually not a bad first try if I do say so myself. It was a little daunting just thinking about how do you grind a knife like that but once I got going it came pretty natural. I like food knives more now, having made one for us to use, and think I might focus my attention toward that facet of cutlery somewhat more in the future
Seriously, I couldn't stop thinking on the picture as I was cutting. Hit me up if you do another one, I'd love to get one

Out if interest, what hardness do the a2 prototypes run at?
f-ed if I know!
I just had the weirdest falling out with an acquaintance who had offered in the past to hardness test my knives, so I assume that offer's off the table, lol!...

When I posted a picture of DEK3 and the kitchen knife in their foil envelopes to instagram, this fellow asked if I put a piece of paper inside so the oxygen would be consumed. I said no, to which he replied that I was wasting my time putting knives in foil at all. So, I asked him- what happens to the paper in the envelope? He said that it combusts, and consumes the oxygen. I asked what it left. He said a tiny bit of ash, to which I replied- what else? At that point I guess he got frustrated, sent me a dm saying that he does heat treating for a living, (he works at a mold making shop, so it's true) and that he's just trying to help. I asked again, what else is left in the envelope? At that point he blocked and unfollowed me :(

The point that I was trying to make, was that I had done some research and conducted my heat treatment with at least a small understanding of what I was doing and NOT wasting my time. I wanted him to know that the old guys he works with in the heat treat shop might be sharing magical thinking, passed down through the ages. There are so many myths when it comes to blades and the manipulation of steel- no surprise there. But... oxygen does not simply vanish, leaving a vacuum, it is converted to something else. Maybe I'm wrong, but I at least looked into it and questioned what I think is one of those myths. Maybe his reaction to my reasonableness was tied up in this belief that he had, who knows? Maybe I was being a dick

Anyway, since I didn't get a chance to hash it out with him since he took his toys and went home, I thought it get it out of my system here

So, I asked him- what happens to the paper in the envelope? He said that it combusts, and consumes the oxygen. I asked what it left. He said a tiny bit of ash, to which I replied- what else? At that point I guess he got frustrated, sent me a dm saying that he does heat treating for a living, (he works at a mold making shop, so it's true) and that he's just trying to help. I asked again, what else is left in the envelope? At that point he blocked and unfollowed me :(
Sorry if I sound dumb here but if it got rid of ALL the oxygen there would be some paper traces left?

and would the extra carbon etc introduce impurities?

forum search suggests people use paper just to stop the foil sticking

Last edited:
I just had the weirdest falling out with an acquaintance who had offered in the past to hardness test my knives, so I assume that offer's off the table, lol!...

I hate weird falling-outs. Often times, it involves murky waters and no clear lines as to the what, why, and how of it all as it goes off the rails. Sorry things didn't work out - it always sucks, whether it's weird, murky, or crystal clear as to why one parts ways.

I hate weird falling-outs. Often times, it involves murky waters and no clear lines as to the what, why, and how of it all as it goes off the rails. Sorry things didn't work out - it always sucks, whether it's weird, murky, or crystal clear as to why one parts ways.
That’s it I’m done with you!for erm reasons.

we live in a would where we communicate more than ever but the odd biproduct is miscommunication or ignoring communication.
Strange but human

f-ed if I know!

When I posted a picture of DEK3 and the kitchen knife in their foil envelopes to instagram, this fellow asked if I put a piece of paper inside so the oxygen would be consumed. I said no, to which he replied that I was wasting my time putting knives in foil at all. So, I asked him- what happens to the paper in the envelope? He said that it combusts, and consumes the oxygen. I asked what it left. He said a tiny bit of ash, to which I replied- what else? At that point I guess he got frustrated, sent me a dm saying that he does heat treating for a living, (he works at a mold making shop, so it's true) and that he's just trying to help. I asked again, what else is left in the envelope? At that point he blocked and unfollowed me :(

The point that I was trying to make, was that I had done some research and conducted my heat treatment with at least a small understanding of what I was doing and NOT wasting my time. I wanted him to know that the old guys he works with in the heat treat shop might be sharing magical thinking, passed down through the ages. There are so many myths when it comes to blades and the manipulation of steel- no surprise there. But... oxygen does not simply vanish, leaving a vacuum, it is converted to something else. Maybe I'm wrong, but I at least looked into it and questioned what I think is one of those myths. Maybe his reaction to my reasonableness was tied up in this belief that he had, who knows? Maybe I was being a dick

Anyway, since I didn't get a chance to hash it out with him since he took his toys and went home, I thought it get it out of my system here
Complete combustion of hydrocarbon fuels leads to water and CO2 as products. There are many (thousands) of intermediates, and incomplete combustion will leave CO among other things. O2 should be consumed if there is excess fuel.

Back