Design Contest 2015

allen456

I have been thinking about this for a while now, it is time to do another design contest! I have been really enjoying the smaller sized blades lately and want to stay within that arena. Here are the size parameters to stay within. 7 1/2" OAL and must fit on 1 1/2" wide bar stock.

Now for the bonus. The winner will recieve a knife that I will make from the design! I reserve the right to make modifications to the design in order to keep production of the pattern feasible . ( I will choose the scales). You will also have the choice of creating the model name! Shipping is on you.

Deadline for entry is November 15th. I will decide a few days after what is the winning design.

Legal mumbo jumbo: The designs entered will become property of W.A. Surls Knives and retains rights to use the designs.

Enjoy!!!! I look forward to seeing your designs!

A 3 knife concept, drop point, spear point and sheepsfoot. scandi ground (perhaps a hawkbill could be added. . .)

Full size, 4-1/2" handles, 2-1/2" blades. (option not shown in drawing: exposed tang for bottle opener:))

Basically these are the Aretes handles with Bushcraft Karda blade and blade variants.

Quick line drawing . . .click for bigger pics.

carvers.jpg

Quick Rendering, forgot to change the background. . .:eek:

blades.jpeg

Last edited:
This sounds like a lot of fun! Is there a limit on number of entries?

Sounds awesome!

Here are mine (please excuse the rough drawings).

Last edited:
Let's get this party started!

HlViRvAh.jpg

7.25" OAL

Inspired by one of my all-time favorite regional traditional knives, the Laguiole knife, but in a notably stouter package. This was designed with utility/edc in mind (with a side of food prep).

Tentatively called the cicada, as a nod to both its Occitanian inspiration, and to Allen's animal naming convention. I hope you like it!

Edit: And here's a rough mockup of it in kydex and paper clay:

qmD8QLal.jpg

Last edited:
It's a bad drawing but here is my entry. A small recurve knife with a Saber grind and glass breaker pommel. The handle was drawn 3/4" too short, but it can be made longer within size limits
a>

Here's my second entry: a small recurve fighter with a clip point, Saber grind, and glass breaker pommel. The handle is supposed to be angled for use similar to a karambit
IMG_20151106_072541373_zpslpy4ru8h.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have one entry so far. I have posted two pics for reference. The knives pictured are the same other than minor aesthetic tweaks.
Thank you Allen for the oppotunity.

1st Entry

Last edited:
Ok, well its been raining all day and I dont have any indoor projects. I cranked out two more designs. I focused on the handle and really could decide on what blade style. So this will be my second (2nd) and third (3rd) entires.

2nd Entry

3rd Entry

A little different styles, but they may be inspiring. Guess thats the idea....

Thank you again for the chance!

Last edited:
Here are my designs. I drew out everything in CAD. Kinda went nuts and ended up painting them in Photoshop, some photo-bash for the scales and background. (cut me some slack I'm an artist)
Name wise leaning toward "Thorn" or perhaps "Creek" concerning the flow of the lines. I can see now where some knife designs come from following the natural arcs over the entire length.
Sort of a natural evolution of shapes. Took inspiration from both Andy and Allen. I had flowing water in mind when making these. The side view reminds me of the path of a creek flowing around banks and rocks.
The spine is one constant arc from end to end and all other placement is based from that arc and dividing the width following golden mean like composition.

For me a like a fairly utilitarian shape to cover drilling to a degree, slicing and if needed some hunting application. In general I like drop and spear point designs. Also a grip friendly shape for control over the blade with a guard or handle flare to create a locking grip (or close to it).

Used pine cone here just because I love the look. Imagining 1/8" 01 with black and white liners and convex grind as shown. Obviously can be whatever.

There is a subtle difference between the top two designs. The overall arc of the spine, point and handle curves differ.

22869788901_bb59a84327_b.jpg

22883249591_4328a36fb7_b.jpg

22848775262_329357176a_b.jpg
[/url]

Last edited:
Here are my designs. I drew out everything in CAD. Kinda went nuts and ended up painting them in Photoshop, some photo-bash for the scales and background. (cut me some slack I'm an artist)
Name wise leaning toward "Thorn" or perhaps "Creek" concerning the flow of the lines. I can see now where some knife designs come from following the natural arcs over the entire length.
Sort of a natural evolution of shapes. Took inspiration from both Andy and Allen. I had flowing water in mind when making these. The side view reminds me of the path of a creek flowing around banks and rocks.
The spine is one constant arc from end to end and all other placement is based from that arc and dividing the width following golden mean like composition.

For me a like a fairly utilitarian shape to cover drilling to a degree, slicing and if needed some hunting application. In general I like drop and spear point designs. Also a grip friendly shape for control over the blade with a guard or handle flare to create a locking grip (or close to it).

Used pine cone here just because I love the look. Imagining 1/8" 01 with black and white liners and convex grind as shown. Obviously can be whatever.

There is a subtle difference between the top two designs. The overall arc of the spine, point and handle curves differ.

Very impressive! what are the specs?

They all fit within the 7.5" OAL over 1.5" bar. Blade is around 3.5" at the center-ish and handle 3.8-4" +/- at the angle where the handle and blade meet. Cutting edge is slightly less than 3.5".
Made sure to account for the arc at then end of the handle.
Let me know of any other specifications required.
I can draw up a top down spine view and was considering modeling at least one in 3d.
I am imagining a palm swell for a subtle coke bottle style handle.

I was thinking the height to length ratio would probably read better at 1.125 or 1.25 max height but was not sure if the widest point must be 1.5".

Some name elaborations - Thorn, Creek, Briar, River, Wildfoot, Red-shoulder, Red-tail, Wild thorn, Element, Flint, Wood scout, Scout, First Watch, Third Watch and various others keep coming to mind.

**Updated images to show dims and overall design flow

**Added wood with bolster versions above

**Updated knife design 3 to have more blade, cutting edge

***Edit - Now the widest handle measurement is 4" and cutting edge, tip to ricasso, is 3.75" on all 3 designs.

****Updated image to show more dimensions for clarity and to show flow lines.

23089797892_164c167936_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back