Design Contest 2015

After looking through the entries so far I now know I chose wisely to sell knives instead of trying to design or make them. Nice designs so far everyone!

55GIpCp.jpg

A utilitarian fixed blade design heavily influenced by the Case Swayback Jack and Jack patterns in England from the 19th century. Traditionally, these are folding designs. The Lynx is a lithe yet powerful cutting tool with a wharncliffe style blade that exemplifies the craftsmanship of W.A. Surls knives and the functionality of an EDC sized fixed blade design while paying respect to a pattern that has been proven with time. The single finger indent near the ricasso is built to enhance retention. A small notch to replace the plunge line eases sharpening and marks the origin of the full length of the cutting edge.

Last edited:
Going to change the top knife, blade to handle just does not feel right.

TripleT and everyone else, great designs!

Last edited:
Here's my third and final entry. It's a little rough and I cut is too slim, but you should get the point.
144712029616492151324_zpsp96anvmx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here's my pitiful attempt at making it. This was my first attempt at making a knife, and is a pic from before I finished it. I like the design, not so much how mine turned out due to a lack of skill
VZM.IMG_20151018_174520_zpsagcametr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ok I think I am done noodling with them for now. Knowing me I will look at them day before and try to change everything lol.

I wanted it to feel and work like "a lot" of knife in this smaller size. Taking advantage of the full 1.5" height of the bar stock at the handle - blade area.
The arc give them more of a "line backer" feel, tough and no-nonsense.

The blade and handle length are uniform but have differing belly and spine arcs. The handles could be somewhat interchangeable between the blades shapes with some noodling.

-d

Last edited:
Love the thread Allen!

First is a small game/utility knife with hollow ground blade.

12808a1e58e0eeac7efc2a840f7c59e7.jpg

Second is a wharncliffe style knife.

34486d9528c34ac4f2d64ca34800ae35.jpg

Lastly is a gentleman's boot dagger with a double hollow ground blade.

f197ad7b9fe802de35f68983288323d5.jpg

I wanna see some mini-cleavers!! You can do it!

mini_cleaver_2015_2.jpg

mini_cleaver_2015.jpg

All I want is a drop point hunter style blade in a traditional slipjoint Allen. I'll draw one up, but man... just do it to your style and I'm all over it!

I drew up five entries a week ago and things got crazy busy after that. So I figure I better post something now before it's too late. I'll post the specs and more detail when I'm able to see daylight long enough to take more pics -- scanner's not working.

It was a tough decision, I wavered back and forth. Here are the three that most fit with what I feel WA Surls Knives is all about.

The two I'm holding onto are somewhat of a departure--more utilitarian/craftsman style. I'll either save 'em for a future contest or make myself. This is a great opportunity, thanks Allen!

Entry #2: 6-3/8" OAL

Inspired by the uninterruptedly curved spine, palm swell, and drop point of the Bison, with a 3-finger pinky rest pommel inspired by the Stingray. From the size and the nods to the Bison, I've tentatively named this one the Calf.

EGN78uYh.jpg

And Entry #3: 5-7/8 OAL

Another nod to the Occitan tradition.

yQw6NURl.jpg

Last edited:
Ya'll are gonna make it tough, looking good. only a few days left to enter!

Ya'll are gonna make it tough, looking good. only a few days left to enter!

Ah you know knives are like potato chips. You cant just have one. :)

Great looking designs everywhere. I have something like 5 more lol but stopped myself at those 3.

Here's 3 that I came up with after some prodding from Dman3d at the office. I sketched a few out and he graciously offered to clean them up and turn my rough outlines into something scaled and presentable. I'm a developer, drawing's not exactly my forte :rolleyes:

The first one I'm calling the Grizzly...or W.T.Muck. It started off as a muck and then evolved into something that slices, cleans, guts, and has a couple serrations to help in a pinch when you wish you had them. After hearing a few stories from a guy in the office that hunts I got to thinking it would be nice to have more knives out there that had a variety of utility. I know the gut hook has been done on knives before, but I don't think I've ever seen it on a muck.

The second one I ended up calling the Seeker. I'm not 100% set on that name...but I've been searching for one for the past few days and hadn't been able to find something that I thought fit. It's a bit combat fighter, a bit utility, all slicey.

The third design is my take on a hawkbill/carver/karambit'ish style knife. I'm calling it the Yellow Jacket.

The first two were sketched to fit 7 1/2" OAL on a 1 1/2" wide bar stock. The third was shortened up a little.

Updated with some color added. Thanks Dman3d!

Last edited:
A70C8B8B-6E5F-4C43-9FE8-354E33B55045_zpshw2plrmv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is my submission.

Allen, thanks for the opportunity.
Congrats to all the other people who submitted designs.

Preston

Last edited:
JesseT and. Jackrabbitslim - great ideas! JesseT the sculpt is a great idea, I think I will try to do one of mine good bad or ugly. Got a ton of cellulose clay in the garage.

If I had enough time I would be happy to draw up and paint everyone's designs.

In fact I volunteer to draw up the winning design in CAD if Allen needs it.

Last edited:
Back