"Devil's Elbow" my backpacking shotgun project

could I have some more details on the $10 20 g adapter? where did you get it?

Have you noticed any cons about adapters yet? I am thinking about the 20 adapter for my nef 12.

This is a brief look at the 410 adapter. This one is steel and cost me 15 dollars.

It works well with plastic shells. Fires fine, Extraction is easy. There seem to be slight imperfections that when you shoot a Russian steel shell the shell expands and was not easy to get out. The 3 00 pellets from the Russian shell patterned inside a paper plate to my surprise at 25 yards.

Notice the rings? It took a sharp blow with a metal rod inserted to get it out.

I tested different choke tubes-no choke (out of the DE), modified, and turkey choke (out of the 870). The only one that would put enough pellets into a small game zone at 25 yards was the turkey choke. At 15 all of them still had a dense enough pattern to put down small game. I shot several patterning targets put the .095 holes don't show up well on camera... At 25 yards it's pretty much a half a door size pattern, with the turkey choke throwing it more dense to in my opinion allow it to be used for small game at that distance.

Since the adapter is quite short (this one is three inches). Pressure drops off pretty quickly. This leaves burnt gunpowder in the barrel. Depending on your use, good or bad.

In my experience, this adapter (3 inches) will not cycle in my pump gun-from tube magazine to chamber. It needs some slight help on the shell lifter from my hand. My 870 is made for 3 inch shells. If I just work the pump back and put it in through the loading gate, it works great.

On the other hand, the 20 gauge adapter I have is 2.75 inches or so, and that will feed from tube mag to chamber with a brisk motion.

However, I don't really recommend this, as you are relying on friction fit to keep the shell in the adapter and in a pump gun the shell could slide out of the adapter and leave you with a nasty mess.

If you set up your pump gun as a "scrounger" with scrounged ammo with 2.75 inch adapters, and wanted to cycle through whatever you had, and very desperate, I might put a tiny bit of superglue to keep the cartridges/shells in the adapters for reliability. Having to take a sharp blow with a metal rod to get the spents out of the adapter a second thought to putting lead in the air. Not recommended.

Out of my single shot, no complaints obviously. The adapter works great. Drop it in and fire.

All in all, the 15 dollar 410 adapter works great. Choke is a big deal if you would intend to use it on small game out to certain distances.

Why would one want to own such a silly device? Why not I say...

Allows you to carry lighter 410 shells.

Cheap in my opinion, 15 dollars.

Scrounge-ability is a plus if necessary. Most people ignore a certain aspect of firearms. NOISE.

Seemed good but next one not so good

???? I'll have to shoot another one to see.

And for some reason I was having some interesting patterns that make me question my statement about it being used out to 25 yards on SMALL game with the turkey choke.

Here's what I mean.

It appears the modified choke is throwing a tighter pattern than the turkey choke. hahaha

The overbore concept seems pretty much spot on in my limited tests.

A slightly smaller gauge with adapter will pattern pretty good. Going from extremes 12 to 410 maybe not as good (compared to the 20 out of 12) with shotshells.

I don't have a 20 gauge to test a 410 adapter, but I'm betting it would pattern better than shooting a 410 out of a 12 gauge.

The 20 out of the 12 was pretty good. Good enough for me.

Keep that in mind-overbore

It does seem that the 410 throws a longer narrower and hence tighter pattern out of the 12 gauge rifled barrel compared to the 20 gauge. However, at 15 yards I can't recommend it for small game. At 7 yards, yes I can recommend it.

I also just for the heck of it shot some 410 slugs through the 410 adapter. because they don't even touch the adapter at all accuracy was VERY bad. 7 yards, 1 shot hit the plate. Might get lucky if a predator swallows your muzzle, other than that not so much...

Last edited:
Review Of The 10 Dollar 20 Gauge Adapter For 12 Gauge

This one worked nicely. :)

Putting the 20 in a 12 pretty much is the overbore concept. :)

Works great! extraction was easy, sometimes I needed a stick or pen to push out the 20 gauge shell out of the adapter, but it wasn't stuck or hard to extract.

Last edited:
You should get one of these to go with it. ;)

TOPS Devil's Elbow

[edit] lol apparently TOPS knives doesn't like me showing off their products with a hotlink and pulled the image :rolleyes:

Wasn't much, just found is slightly funny that they have a knife with the same unusual name.

Last edited:
That's a different looking knife :)

The M6 is a different animal than a 12 gauge. Since they aren't made anymore, much less available and open to price gouging than a common man 12 gauge shotgun.

I'd much rather have a 22 rimfire for the upper than the hornet round.

I also don't think I "need" to pick up an M6...

That's a different looking knife :)

The M6 is a different animal than a 12 gauge. Since they aren't made anymore, much less available and open to price gouging than a common man 12 gauge shotgun.

I'd much rather have a 22 rimfire for the upper than the hornet round.

I also don't think I "need" to pick up an M6...

They go for ricidulous prices online, I picked mine up at a local shop for $200...if you can find one before they changed the barrels, you can shoot .45LC out of I've been told...They were made in both .22lr and .22Hornet with the lr flavor being more readily available :cool:

IF memory serves me right, only the m6 pistols were chambered 45 colt/410.

That said, if you reload, there are options for the .410 using heeled bullets and metal hulls if you stay within pressure limits of your firearm. And have a removable choke tube.

Last edited:
This is an antique insert I won for 30 dollars. Got home from work and it was sitting in the mailbox. Hopefully it will prove useful and I'll keep it with my little single shot 12 gauge for game gettin. Love the 22 rimfire (especially the cb shorts) because one can carry so much of them for loadout. It's very lightweight. Some rust on it from storage which I'll take off with a pencil.

Last edited:
Nice! But a single shot is usually just that - if that works for you

Be careful criticizing a person who trains hard using a single shot (rifle, shotgun or handgun). Just because it only shoots one round at a time doesn't mean it is less effective! Michael Alan Silka in 1984 killed a lot of folks with a Ruger #1 in 30-06 and a 4x Weaver scope. He even killed a SWAT sniper circling above him in a Helicopter. He would have killed more but two SWAT Officers dumped a mag or two into his legs and arms to slow him down. I believe they were probably holding center of mass but had never trained from a mobile platform before and thus only got extremity hits.

The key take away during the After Action Report was the SWAT Snipers all agreed they need more training not neccessarly better rifles! Good insight to the reality.

I've seen people train, and I mean train hard, at a Defense Shotgun course with a break-open 12 gauge and keep up with Autos and Pumps. How many of us here on this forum who own and shoot guns can say the same thing? I can't say they were faster but they were equally as effective and stayed up with them.

It is all about a person willing to master the fundamental manual of arms and to eliminate unnecessary motion...that is all faster really is anyway.

For some of us...all too often we have a tendency to over-rely on technology to make up for our unwillingness to apply ourselves in training and to subject ourselves to the humiliation and pain from defensive force-on-force simulations...as we use it as an excuse for our inability to master the fundamentals.

I'll finish off from one of the more profound insights from the After Action Report from the Silka incident: If you’re a member of the gun-of-the-month club, changing guns when you change underwear, you’ll have to think about how to work the gun in a fight. The time it takes to think about it can get you killed.

Beware of the man or women with a single shot!

Back