"Devil's Elbow" my backpacking shotgun project

Hate to horn in on your forum there folks, but both orders were shipped the same day.
They would have shipped earlier had my brothers not kidnapped me and forced me to go deer hunting for opening weekend here *grin*

i haven't asked the forum administrators here, so don't know whether I'm allowed to discuss my product here, but thought I'd let Rock know that his insert should be there within a day or two at most

Well, I've got several single shot rifles and shotguns, but I'm not too hip on the idea of carrying a golf bag out in the woods with me so I can choose which firearm to use for each particular opportunity *grin*
So when I go woodsbummin', I, like Scottman carry a single shot shotgun and an 8" insert and a dozen or so cartridges for it in my coat pocket.
If I'm going out with the intent of hunting big game though, I'll bring my New England arms .30-06 singleshot or my H&R Shikari .45/70.(or even more likely, one of my SKS's)

What cartridge insert do you take Robert? and when do you use it?

I like the regular slug for putting a nice hole in stuff in the woods. thunder with bulky ammo. whisper is another need of mine. Small ammo: increase loadout.

the break barrel with inserts can also be a "scrounger" for common cal's you aren't carrying standards in if you can bear the weight of the "scrounger" plus inserts if it's not your standard.

the Phillipianos of ww2.

Scottman,

I can't really go into that until I hear from the owner of this place as to whether my gold membership went through or not, as to start talking about specifics, could be considered to be promoting or selling my product.
I'm still waiting here hear from whoever the contact email goes to about it, and certainly don't want to get my butt booted out the same day I coughed for a years membership here*L*

But I'll say I've taken quite a few porkies, skunks, and those nasty little tree rats(pine squirrels) that seem intent on turning my deer hunting camp into their winter nests.....

When did ya order brother?

Yeah, looks like Latherunner answered for me:D He contacted me and said it wouldn't go out until this week. After having my wife's whole family up for Thanksgiving...I can understand fully:D

ETA...oh and welcome to Bladeforums and specifically the WSS Latherunner!!! Glad to have you onboard...it's a diverse but great crowd.

ROCK6

Just tossing an idea out for grabs here relating to a scrounger grab it n' go gun rather than inserts themselves.
Think I'll have to get out my dremel and see what I can come up with*grin*

Attachments

• SSPX0048.jpg
    SSPX0048.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 30
Just tossing an idea out for grabs here relating to a scrounger grab it n' go gun rather than inserts themselves.
Think I'll have to get out my dremel and see what I can come up with*grin*

Agreed:thumbup:

DSC04209.jpg

These 20ga inserts are just too short for much accuracy beyond 15-20 yards, but it's still a good concept.

ROCK6

in a perfect world where all shotgun bores were exactly the same size, and all insert had zero radial and/or axial runout, you wouldn't have to index an insert.

Good thing we don't live in a perfect world because it's fun to fiddle with stuff*grin*

Agreed:thumbup:

DSC04209.jpg

These 20ga inserts are just too short for much accuracy beyond 15-20 yards, but it's still a good concept.

ROCK6

Are those dina arms ones? what accuracy do you get? Zen reviewed a 22 and a 9mm one on hoodswoods.

what accuracy do you get?

I'm curious about that too,as I saw, by chasing the links that others posted here that some of those short inserts aren't rifled, and the ones that are rifled have only an inch and a half of rifling.

I'm curious about that too,as I saw, by chasing the links that others posted here that some of those short inserts aren't rifled, and the ones that are rifled have only an inch and a half of rifling.

Yeah, these are Dina Arms ones...they are rifled, but as you can see, about like a J-Frame for accuracy. I haven't done any good testing yet as I figured out I needed to index them for consistency after the fact.

I think the longer insert like yours (almost like an 8" barrel), should be much more accurate.

ROCK6

I haven't done any good testing yet as I figured out I needed to index them for consistency after the fact.

After indexing them I wouldn't be real surprised if they hold "minute of paper plate" groups out at 25 yards or even further.

The barrel length might be a limiter in this case as they have a nice long sight radius, or the sight radius might be a liberator to allow that short barrel to do the very best it possibly can.

Geez now I wonder what a J-Frame with a 20"+ sight radius could do*grins*

Back