1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.
  3. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Diamond J Knives, What happened to them?

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by ArchAngel, Jul 25, 2011.

1. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 13, 2000
    On 6/12/11 I ordered Gertrude from Dan. He and I e-mailed about a sheath I wanted for her. The sheath idea proved to be a pain in the butt for them, so a better idea was made by Dan. I initiated all contact with Dan because if I didn't, there was no contact.
    E-mail finally proved to be non-effictive so I called Dan. He informed me he had been to a family funeral in Arizona and had just returned home and was getting back on his feet. I gave my condolonces and appologized for bothering him at such a time. He was a gent and stated the sheath for Gertrude was dry and done and it would go out ASAP. A couple of weeks go by and still no word or delivery confirmation as was stated would be supplied. I call him again and he said it was still there. I had noticed Olive for sale and said ship her also, I will PayPal the cash for her also. My Bad! That was 7/8/11. Again I wait a week or so and hear no word and get no Del. Conf.# I call again, Dan states that they went into the mail that AM and he would send the Del.Conf.# that day. Over a week later, no word, Nothing.
    My first dealing with Diamond J Knives was an excersize in perfection. This one has been my only experience on the net buying knives where I finally have had to go to the resolution center at PayPal for help.
    I am worried and a litttle sad, as I have never before had a deal go sour.
    Am I beeing too much of a worrier? I had to put the claim in now because the PayPal 45 Day resolution timeframe is almost at an end for me.
    Ideas? Info?:( I also notice that their Knifemaker membership has expired and they have not been on BF since 7/11/11.

2. JDieseljoe69

JDieseljoe69 Lover of Tequila Handled Busse's!! Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 16, 2010
    I have been wondering the same, I have emailed them several times about a knife they are supposed to be making for me. No contact at all yet from them. Its to bad there knives are very nice. I do hope they get back to it.

3. CapitalizedLiving

CapitalizedLiving

Dec 1, 2007
    I wouldn't worry too much yet guys. I've bought a few knives from Dan (including custom work) and he's always come through, rain or shine. I'd suggest waiting a bit longer and maybe giving him a call if you don't hear from him. I don't see why he'd close up shop as his stuff is gaining quite a bit of demand. Just my three cents...

4. Fanglekai

Fanglekai

Jan 7, 2007
    In June I ordered a knife from him in the For Sale: Fixed Blades section and received it within a week. When it arrived I was surprised because I never received a shipping confirmation #, so I wasn't expecting it yet. Other than not providing me a tracking # the transaction went very smoothly and I'm pleased with the knife and sheath as well. I'm hoping this is just a temporary problem as I really enjoy the knife and I've thought about ordering another.

5. bacustomknives

bacustomknives FULL THROTTLE / FULLTIME KNIFE MAKER Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 3, 2008
    dan, always seemed to be a stand up guy no reason to rip someone off? and i would never think he would,if there was a death in the family he an his brother maybe trying to cope with things right now,some things in life are not easily forgotten,people need time to greive,sorry to here that paypal claim was a haft to case though

6. bacustomknives

bacustomknives FULL THROTTLE / FULLTIME KNIFE MAKER Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 3, 2008
    just spoke with dan, he said as he was leaving in a rush he shipped but to the wrong address it was returned and the knife is inroute to you arch,see if it arrives soon,Dan isnt that type of fella
    bests bill

7. Diamond J Knives

Diamond J Knives Banned BANNED

Jul 13, 2010
    To All, I'm very sorry for my absence, and any email confusion.(my smart phone ain't so smart) Any one expecting an email from me should go check their email, if you haven't received one from me, please email [email protected] and I will reply asap! :D I don't believe in giving excuses, please accept my apologies, and guarantee that there will never be an issue like this with DJK again.

Dan

8. ArchAngel

Feb 13, 2000
    Thanks Dan!
    I am relieved that you are well and all that happened was a shipping snafu. Those things happen.
    It is good also to know you are still around. Your knives are loved and you are one of the family here.
    Thanks for the updat!
    Sorry for all the fretting. I am a worrywort sometimes.
    Thanks all for reading and reassuring me.

9. bacustomknives

Sep 3, 2008
    a man of his word!! Bet your a$$ on that! Thanks bro for posting good to talk to ya this afternoon
    bests bill

10. JDieseljoe69

JDieseljoe69 Lover of Tequila Handled Busse's!! Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 16, 2010
    Diamond J, I responded to your email and glad you guys are back!!! Hope all is well and you guys are doing Ok.

11. J. Hoffman

J. Hoffman

Jan 1, 2011
    I love the design of Diamond J's knives. They have awesome lines. I'm glad they are still around!

12. ArchAngel

Feb 13, 2000
    You and me also!! I love the lines of their knives, and am happier than I can describe that they are well and still here.
    Dan and I talked for quite awhile today, just shooting the bull. He is great to talk with and I am glad I got to. I enjoy talking more than typing, and it was fun to talk with Dan at length today.
    Dan, I look forward to playing with the ladies and will post pictures if I have the balls to take Gertrude out and give her the love she deserves!
    It was great to talk today and I will call you again just to get better aquainted and toss some ideas your way.
    Thanks!

13. milkyeye

milkyeye

Apr 14, 2010
    Dan, glad to here your still out there. I also like the lines of the Diamond J knives. After Olive and her sister sold, I've been waiting to see what comes up next. Would like to see Olive's twin with some wood scales. Keep em coming.
    Randy

14. ArchAngel

Feb 13, 2000
    Dan,
    Still waiting. Any word would be appreciated.
    I e-mailed the address you posted above, but got an automated reply stating the account does not exist.
    I have called your phone and left voice mail. No reply.
    Please contact me.
    Rick

Just noticed the link is misspelled. Will try again.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  15. ArchAngel

Feb 13, 2000
    Dan,
    I spoke to you on the 4th of August and you said would send me the Tracking number that PM.
    It is now the 10th of August and I have not received the tracking information or the knives. Whats up?
    Lack of communication can be misconstrued by your customers. This no longer feels good to me.

16. Dago Red

Dago Red

Jun 16, 2008
    Not to pile on, but so you don't feel you're alone, I paid for a custom knife that Dan and I had discussed and come up with a great idea, on May 31. he had asked for a deposit for materiels, I had money and since the first knife I ordered was done so fast figured just pay the whole thing. I understand about the death in the family, reasonable delay. I too though am past an expected arrival and no communication.

Hopefully they get back on track, I just sold the one that I had bought for me, but this one I ordered for a buddy and think he'll enjoy it.

Red

17. AusieGav

AusieGav

Mar 29, 2011
    Me too.
    I am hoping they are just extremely busy, their website is saying there is a 3 month wait for new orders.

18. JCavSD

JCavSD

Jun 27, 2007
    I've spent some time with Dan and Marce in their shop. They've graciously taken the time (probably 14 hours+ so far) to hand-hold me through the knife making process. I feel like I'm a half decent judge of character...and I think both are decent upstanding people. Last communication I had with them Dan mentioned email issues and being swamped busy. I'd bet my left nut (it's the big one) that they'll be back in communication and up to full speed shortly.

19. ArchAngel

Feb 13, 2000
    Well, on the 10th of August, after my post I got an e-mail from Dan with a FedEx tracking number. No words, no salutation, just a tracking number.
    I checked the number with FedEx and sure enough a package was headed my way. I was a little concerned when the posted weight was .7 of a pound and the package was supposed to contain Gertrude and Olive. Fast forward 7 days and the packages arrives. My heart sinks when the FedEx man hands me a small box. About 10 1/2 inches long, and too light to contain Gertrude.
    I open the package to find just Olive. Not Gertrude that I have been waiting for since June 12th. No more understanding and love wells from my heart.
    I feel that I have been ripped off, plain and simple. Dans lack of communication, failed attendance on the forum, lack of fixing his incorrect e-mail address in his post in this thread, and failure to renew his knifemakers membership makes me think the worst. That is that I have been robbed. No more understanding. You have to ask for that and Dan has not been much on that these days. Dan said he didn't believe in excuses. There is no excuse for this that I can see.
    I am pissed and glad that I have a claim in with PayPal. I will cancel the claim against Olive but it is obvious that Gertrude is not incoming and I will maintain a claim until I can get my money back. Sad to see another knifemaker slip down that slope that ruins their reputation in the community. DSC08842.jpg DSC08841.jpg A couple of pictures to show package size and contents of the package.
    Olive is a lovely knife but does not make up for what has been done to me with the purchase of the MUCH more expensive Gertrude.:mad::thumbdn:

20. Dago Red

Dago Red

Jun 16, 2008
    I came here to check this because part of the package I worked out with Dan was the knife for my friend and a custom cigar punch to match it, today at lunch with the friend he mentions to me that his punch died (don't worry, his sticks are safe, we both have multiple cutters), and I'll be honest that at this point I'm very irritated.

That said, I don't feel at this point that he's robbed me. I sincerely believe that there has been some sort of set back, as happens in life, and unfortunately for whatever reason business is not their top priority right now. I have seen this in the past many times (with gunsmiths and a talented pipe maker) some of them bounce back from it, which I of course hope for Dan and his brother. Sadly many don't. I think this is sometimes just due to embarrassment, we're guys and we have pride. Same time we're guys and get over s&*t pretty easy. :)

Arch Angel this no way disputes your statements or feelings, I have a hard time not being angry over it, I'm just trying to be optimistic still. I hope you get gertrude and I get Sofia. (I have a buyer stopping by for Teresa this week hopefully, having a bad month).

Red