• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Didn't Want To Do This

Ghost Dog

Banned
I haven't done that many deal's compared to alot of you but they have all been great.
I have a situation that I could use some of your suggestion's to make sure to me that I'm not overreacting to this.
I made a trade a couple of week's ago with forum member "Joebe" for a first production run BM 42 that I had. Knife was sent and 3 day's later i get an e-mail from him saying knife received it's great etc. then say's he will now send his knife out to me. Well as all other trade's I've done here knive's were sent same day as I thought was the standard procedure here unless other arrangement's were agreed on by the partie's envolved.
I was going out of town for a couple of week's and was planning to have the knife before leaving so the deal could be final. After e-mailing him this and not getting any response I got this gut feeling to pull out of the deal so I had him send me the 42 back.
I get back in town earlier than expected receive my knife, open the box and a note fall's out saying "oh by the way the knife had a screw loose that backed out and wouldn't go back in" . Upon examining the knife that latch screw was out about a 1/16 and you could see that a phillips screwdriver was used and the head of the screw was messed up.
I have had many BM Balisong's over the past 20+ year's and have used and abused them and NEVER had a problem. He got the knife removed the screw and latch then messed it up trying to put it back in. I e-mailed him my thought's on what he did and received no reply.
As far as I'm concerned he bought the knife when he messed it up and if there was a problem he should have let me know when he received it.
I have sent many e-mail's to him to see what he plan's to do to rectify this situation and I really didn't want to go air my problem here but he left me no other choice.
In his profile he state's he is a police/security officer and I am kind of shocked of this behavior from a person in this line of work.
Hopfully I am doing the right thing posting this but all I want him to do is the right thing.

My thoughts on this are based solely on your side of the story, the other party may also chime in here with facts you havent mentioned....geuss we'll see. Anyways, assuming your side is true, then ya got shafted. If you know for a fact that the screw was in good shape and securely in the handle and he screwed it up then he should do one of the following:

1. Complete the deal where he sends his knife first so you can inspect it....he has already gotten to examine yours and he goofed it up.

2. Pay for shipping and repairs at Benchmade instead of just having Benchmade send you a screw, in case he also stripped the threads in the handle or whatever.

I suspect he knows he shafted you based on his failure to answer email. I know a few cheaters will give the standard excuses when they have been exposed in public such as: Gee, I never got your email, or my email was messed up (only when you tried to email though), or my dog was sick or I broke my leg....you get the idea.

The reality though is that you probably will get nothing from him, no effort to make it right or anything. Thats the way some people are...it sucks and it aint right, but its true. You have probably just learned a lesson about who not to deal with, and you can use that to warn other unsuspecting folks who might think of dealing with him.

As stated, my comments are based on your version and assumes that you have been 100 percent honest.....Im interested in hearing what he has to say as well.

Assuming your side of the story is correct,the person made two big mistakes.AS you indicated,unless other arrangements are made in advance a trade should be sent by both parties at the same time.He has a big set of B*lls to wait to get yours before deciding he was going to ship the trade knife.So now that he pissed you off by playing that game you ask for the deal to be terminated.I don't blame you for that decision,but now this guy has gone and fiddled with the knife and stripped hardware.Mistake number two was this guy touching the balisong before you got your trade knife and was happy with the knives condition.Basically a person does not have a right to use,carry,or modify a trade item until both parties are satisfied and deal is then complete.THis d*ck owes you some money compensation or the knife you traded for providing it winds up being as described.ya,it's real amazing at the lack of communication that suddenly occurs, when the poopy hits the fan and someone can't live up to their end of the bargain.Good Luck,hope all works out for ya.

Richard and Tombstone thank's for your input.

Richard the 42 was in perfect shape. I go to great length's to check every knife that I trade or sell is good to go.
I know his computor is working because he has been posting on Knife Forum's the past few day's.

Also guy's I got an e-mail from another form member and showed me a thread which "joebe" started about the time he received my knife asking about latchless balisong's. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ghost Dog

As stated above---never begin to "play" with the other persons knife until both parties are happy with their portion of the trade.

Isn't it amazing how a relatively inexpensive knife (or expensive knife, it does not matter) means more to some people than their reputation?:rolleyes:
Martin

So JOEBE self-destructs his integrity and credibility over what should have been a very simple transaction.

Ghost Dog, thanks for the heads up about this idiot. If you need a 2X4 to ram up his butt, I have some extras you are welcome to.
"You are only as good as your word"

What a way to ruin one's Reputation...........Ira:(

I had a less than good experience with this guy too. No big
deal, but I didn't like it. Sorry he got you. The fact that he is not hear yet to defend speaks volumes. Perhaps you can find him over at "knifeforums".

Thank's for the support guy's.
You know, my intention is not to flame the guy or trash his rep but for him to admit he messed up and make the offer to make it right.

Magician yes he is posting on Knifeforums and he is still posting here and I know that with my e-mail's to him and I assume he has read this thread he is aware of what kind of damage he may be doing to his rep.

Ire thank's for the offer of the 2X4 but it would probly be a waste of good wood.

Ghost Dog :D

Is this the same "Joebe" on Blade auctions?. It just seems absurd and ridiculous to blow your rep on a simple transaction. I have E-mail troubles of late and it's been real hard to open and reply to mail, but if I have a deal taking place and we are in the middle of items going from point A to point B and visa-versa, I make EVERY EFFORT to make sure the lines of communication stay open.

And although 2X4's are getting pricey, I disagree with it being a waste of good wood to ram one up his Butt to stimulate his brain waves. Maybe some real rough cut pine might get JOEBE to respond and make good.

But you are only as good as your word. This kind of crap travels and it will not take long for JOEBE to get a bad rep on KFC also.

What a scumbag

He has posted a trade in the trade forums. Would it be inappropriate to ask him to come in here and resolve this prior to making any offers?

I have posted a message for Joebe in his latest trade thread, asking him to e mail me.

I hope he responds, and when he does, I'll do what I can to get him to contact you, Ghost Dog, and get this ironed out.

Thank's Mike for the help but after this long I guess the guy think's that sooner or later this will just go away.
If that is what he think's all I can say is don't hold your breath. :D

just because he's a cop or in security or whatever,what makes you think he's a good guy? Lots of cops are decent and some are POS,just like the general population

I am in a buying mood these days and "joebe" has a ton of posts on the knife forums. I thought he was a dealer in disguise based upon the volume of posts.

I appreciate your stepping forward with some news.

Geode

Based on what joebe is selling, I doubt he's a dealer, just a knut who's got more old toys than he needs, and is looking to turn some of them into money for new toys. He probably didn't even mean to shaft anyone, either, but he may have gotten carried away with all his selling, and didn't take the one deal seriously enough.

Back