Dirk Pinkerton knife GIVEAWAY contest! (damascus this time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, thanks for the opportunity. Nice work Dirk :thumbup:.

I'm going to have to go along with the Crow/Raven theme too. It was the first thing I thought of as well.

Name - Corax (From Corvus Corax-Common Raven)

My quote: "No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn" - Jim Morrison
It's simple. It isn't overly poetic, and I use it as motivation on mornings where I don't have to work and would rather stay in bed but there are fish out there that need catching and scenery to take in.;).

Another from Jim Morrison that relates to the potential name of the knife: "Death makes angels of us all and gives us wings where we had shoulders smooth as raven's claws. "

I'd call it The Raven. As I was pondering a name as a huge black bird wiz'd past the window.

I love quotes. My current favorite is "Better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abraham Lincoln. Through all my years I have tried to accumulate knowledge by mostly doing. Ain't the book guy. The more I listen to conversations the more I hear boastfully ascending themes. Folks try to outdo each other with every new story, and by the time they are all said and done, it sounds as if each of them have conquered the universe. I won't say that I don't tell some of my experiences, which have been many, but as soon as I catch myself escalating I stop to just listen. You can't learn from talking. You must listen and observe to learn.

Thanks for the GAW and the parameters listed. It is great to read all of these.

Pat

There are some great entries! A lot happens in a week!

By the way, SHOT was great!

I didn't get any pictures. Darrel was busy taking pictures, though. I imagine we'll be seeing some once he gets settled back at the shop.

When I get a little more time, I'll start another SHOT thread.

I didn't get any pictures. Darrel was busy taking pictures, though. I imagine we'll be seeing some once he gets settled back at the shop.

When I get a little more time, I'll start another SHOT thread.

i understand take your time. I was just curious what beauties were at the show.

I would call it the Crow. Crows are intelligent birds with both claws and beaks that the knife brings to mind with its lines. It also stylistically kind of resembles a birds skull. I like it when designers name things in a way that makes it seem non-weapon like i think it adds to the appeal for people that might otherwise be turned off by them.

My quote is less historic but i think alot more practical and i want to change it up a bit: "people who smoke put out".

Think about that for a second, have you ever met a man or woman who smokes that does not have casual sex?? i bet youhavent. this is easily applied to any time you are at a bar or anywhere that you are looking to hook up.

thanks for the contest.

Think about that for a second, have you ever met a man or woman who smokes that does not have casual sex??

Not a smoker, but I've met plenty who don't fit this description. Maybe you just attract loose people, or perhaps I exude prudishness, and the casual sex folks just seem to stay away? I'd have to see some hard data to support that correlation in order to buy into that. Speaking of crows, how about that Brandon Lee movie?

I feel the same way, there are alot of things that just need to be left alone. I was really heated about the remake of john carpenters "The Thing"a movie i regard as perfect, and which is itself a remake of a movie based on a campbell story. They got around it tho by setting it up as a prequel, the only problem is that the stories and reactions are so identical. The crow was an exceptional movie, however i guess we all need to realize that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, as long as it doesnt come from china ;)

@crimsonfalcon. you are literally the first person to disagree with me on this in about 2 years. Nit saying its a sure thing im just saying if you go up to a group of women who are more or less equally attractive, and 1 of the group smokes, thats the one im going for. obviously you are a prude :p i dont know ages here but im younger than many of the people on this site (i think the average age here would be in the 30's) ive noticed and the generation gap may be a factor.

That's a good thought about the generation gap, for sure. Kids these days... haha.

There have been some remakes, particularly of superhero movies, that I thought were successful. I mean, the Hulk movies have been done what, 4 times now? Different actor every time too. But it's going to be hard to substitute for Brandon Lee.

What bothers me about copies is when they don't even acknowledge the original. I mean, The Departed is a remake of Infernal Affairs, which evidently at least Warner Bros bought the rights for, although it doesn't acknowledge the original. I do watch a LOT of movies from Hong Kong and China though.

Thank you for the opportunity, hopefully we can help you.

1. Taka which means hawk in Japanese(at least Google says so). Knife reminds me of a bird of prey and it looks sharp. The word, taka, doesn't roll off your tongue, it jabs the air with a precision and sharpness(like a hawk).

2. "Anything worth having in life doesn't come easy" This was told to me by my brother and he heard it from a DI while in the USMC(when he was doing pushups in the rain if I remember correctly :D). Quotes are rarely true all of the time or for everyone and this one is no exception. Everything that is truly worth having(personal life, spiritual life, professional life, etc) is darn hard for me to get. These will take years if not decades of work for me to accomplish them, if I actually accomplish them. If everything came easy, and everybody can have it, then it wouldn't be special(and wouldn't be worth having to me). I'm not explaining it very good, but it has driven me.

1. Darkling - I was thinking Dirkling for Dirk's small offspring, but thought Darkling is more marketable and still very appropriate.

2. "Tis better to have loved and lost / Than never to have loved at all." - Tennyson

What is a life not shared with someone you love.

There are some cool ideas coming up. I'm liking the quotes as well. Keep it going!

i dont have another qoute but i was thinking of more names. It could be called the "VELO" its short for velociraptor. Kinda looks like a raptors talons. Idk just trying to shoot some more ideas out there for ya.

I'm sitting this contest out since the laws of the state where I live require open carry of fixed blades (and a knife like this is really best-suited to neck, pocket, or some other non-open carry method). But Dirk does great work. I handled some of his knives at SHOT last month and came away really impressed by how comfortable and secure in the hand they were despite their very compact size. Whoever gets the ones here (especially the first-place knife with Nichols damascus) is going to be very lucky!

Thank you for this contest I almost overlooked the sticky.

Name suggestion:
Little Friend
Hope you never have to say "hello"

Quote: "shi# happens"
Why?
It speaks to perseverance, not an excuse. I first heard this at a very young age. *It stuck. *Not as an excuse for failing or lacking, but to the idea that things beyond your control happen.
As physically and/or mentally strong as you may be there are / will most likely be times when bad (unfavorable) things happen. Matters not your intent or abilities, sometimes negative situations impact your life. It is how you persevere, learn, grow and succeed in the face of shi# happening that matters.

I would like to give it a go.

1. I would call it the Talon. Based on how it looks, there is a strong resemblance to a bird of prey. Plus Talon was a war ship in a SciFy series. "nerd alert"
2. My quote is "Maybe next time you will estimate me" - Michael Scott from the TV series The Office. This quote reminds me to be confident no matter what the circumstances.

1. You should call it the "Squid's Toe" or "Toe of Squid."

2. "This sad little lizard told me that he was a brontosaurus on his mother’s side. I did not laugh; people who boast of ancestry often have little else to sustain them. Humoring them costs nothing and adds to happiness in a world in which happiness is always in short supply." It was written by Robert Heinlein. Whom some of you, I'm sure, are familiar with. No sentimental meaning behind it. I read the book, No Time for Love I believe, as a young man and that quote has stuck with me ever since; it's my personal golden rule.

I so love reading these entries. Sometimes quotes like these that we hold dear tell us a lot about our fellow man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back