Dirk Pinkerton knife GIVEAWAY contest! (damascus this time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd suggest "Daisy Cutter" after one of the largest conventional bombs ever made with 12,600lbs of explosives. It was used to level large areas of ground-cover for helicopter landing, in Viet Nam, and for intimidation factor in both the Gulf war and Afghanistan. Maybe a little unconventional when naming something so small, but for intimidation factor, and cutting power, I think it's appropriate.

Quote: "Do not try. Do, or do not. There is no try." - The great green sage Yoda. This quote has been an inspiration for me since my college days. I had several difficult classes that made me rethink my major (chemistry) and I would start each class saying I'll try. This lead to a viewpoint of expecting to fail, and I almost quit college. Realizing that if I started out knowing that I'd finish and working with that in mind, I found I really could and my grades got significantly better. It can apply to any difficult task in life; from relationships to fixing the broken toilet. I now use the quote to encourage my sons when things get difficult.

THanks for the chance. You make some way-cool stuff, Mr. Pinkerton. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLU-82

Last edited:
What a surprise to find this thread shortly after discovering a 2.625 long Pinkerton Claw Neck Knife on BladeHQ (needless to say that one's on the way to me).

For a name I favour: Steel Fingernail

My quote comes from Socrates: "The unexamined life is not worth living."

It resonates with me because it's absolutely true. Our ability to understand our world and more than that, ourselves is what allows for progress be it artistic, scientific or social. Thinking is what raises us above simpler animals.

Thanks to the other contributors for sharing some wisdom.

I don't know if I'm member enough of three months yet but I will give myself a shot at this with no fear. :)

1. Saber Tooth as that reminds me of a Saber Tooth tiger (which also reminds me of the book "The Clan of the Cave Bear")

2. Quote: "When my father died, I moved into the space he left inside me and found out it was where I belonged". ~Farland

I was struggling with my father's death when my childhood friend gave me this quote and I suddenly knew what I had to do with that empty spot in my heart and that quote became true to form; I moved in and realized I literally belonged there. That quote changed my life, gave me much more focus on who I am as a person in this life time. Can't say it any more simply. More on my father and who he is: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/923964-My-Father-s-knife-that-started-it-all

I'm always down for a good contest.

Name:How about the Incisor? I think we all know what those do. On a lighter note, maybe the Tickler would work.

Quote: by JRR Tolkien
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

Just take a minute and let that sink in. I love Tolkein's LOTR books, and that single quote is some serious life knowledge. To me, it means don't worry about material possessions, be steadfast in what you believe, go your own path, and you will find success.

thanks for the contest, I just kind of wandered here and low and behold a free knife :D

Anywho my name for the aforementioned would have to be: adaptability. Kind of a strange name, but the design and earlier suggestions just got me thinking. We as humans dont have claws or talons, just thumbs and a good brain (though that last part is very debatable, especially with my generation.) But like the name suggests, we adapted to our enviroment and followed what works. something that can cut, and cut well.

As to a Quote: "It's better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt" - "George Eliot" Mary-Ann Evans 1819-1880

I've always been an impetuous person, very rash and easy to anger, It's one of the many things I'd like to change about myself. About 2yrs ago this quote became something of a mantra for me to stop being myopic and think about it (whatever "it" may be) in as many different views as possible. In general just think things through before acting, another thing i've sadly not pursued well enough.

Last edited:
Some great stuff! There are some very "deep" quotes being posted. They are keeping me thinking!

I am almost finished with the prize. I will post a pic very soon!

Some great stuff! There are some very "deep" quotes being posted. They are keeping me thinking!

The man speaks! I for one cannot wait to see it, Dirk.

cannot wait!!! its gonna be a beauty for sure. Cant go wrong with damascus :)

Can't go wrong with Dirk Pinkerton either. His was actually one of the first custom knifemaker names I had ever heard back when I was just getting into knives.

Can't go wrong with Dirk Pinkerton either. His was actually one of the first custom knifemaker names I had ever heard back when I was just getting into knives.

:thumbup: agreed and ive been looking at his work for a while now too. Very unique for sure.

Name: Scapula
Quote: I never really had a favorite or any actual quote that I based my life on so I will give one that a classmate at work said. He said it jokingly and it was funny but I think it actually had a lot more intelligence than he had intended when he said it. He said it after someone had made a joke at him, he was the class clown and pretty good at it.

"Sticks and stones can break my bones but words really hurt"

Sorry I don't have anything better. It really isn't an inspirational statement, perhaps more a comment about how people really can get hurt by words.

What a great contest!

Given the appearance of the knife, I'm gonna have to go with "Little Bird" for the name, after the small (yet deadly) helicopters used by the US military.

As far as quotes, I've got 2. First is "Every good Jones has a knife," which was told to me by my Grandmother on Christmas many years ago. The second is one I believe I read on these forums..."A man with a knife is infinitely more useful than one without." I have been a knife nut since birth, a trait which was passed on from my Dad and the same with him and his dad. I have found a knife to be one of the most useful tools you can have, one you can find a hundred uses for on any given day. I'll always have one on me, and should I have kids someday, I hope to pass the same beliefs and traits on to them.

1. Baby Pterodactyl or Babydactyl because it looks like a baby Pterodactyl head to me.

2. "Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case."
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897

I've become a huge fan of psychologist and philosopher William James, brother of the novelist Henry James. It's obvious that people will believe anything. what is crucial is being able to give up cherished beliefs when they are proved wrong. Learning this in the midst of a personal crisis in 1995 enabled me to calmly face whatever reality presented me and gave me tolerance.

Name: i think it looks like a dewclaw, so my name is the you-claw

quote " flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams HHG2G

To me this quote means things that may seem impossible have a simple solution that you just havnt found yet. Work smart, not hard.

Even more great responses!

OK, here is the picture I promised.

DSCN0939.jpg

I would call that knife "talon"

"I Say Envy The Country With Heroes, And Pity The Country That Needs Them" - Movie, Reign of Fire

I would name the knife the Poco garra (little claw in Spanish) or garra (claw in Spanish)

My favorite quote is from Dr Hunter S Thompson: "Call on God but row away from the rocks"
This quote is important to my whole family, it is fine to pray but even of you pray you have to put in the work to help yourself!

i would call it the gaff or the spur because it vaguely reminds me of the blades they put on fighting chickens, and the quote would be "If you aint first, your last" -Ricky Bobby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back