1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Disliked knife brands?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by _glitch, Feb 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I dislike all the generally disliked brands same as the other folks here, but the only "generally accepted" brand I strongly dislike is Strider. I will never own a Strider knife.

2. needler420

needler420 Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 29, 2011
    I doubt benchmade is happy. They are part of the website and I will never speak good of them again. People will read these posts and old threads. Benchmade will lose more then me when people reconsider a knife purchase.
    If you're a cop or military their customer service will bend over backwards for you. I highly recommend spyderco knives over them. Sal is the best customer service.

3. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    You mean this experience: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-with-benchmade-warranty-and-customer-service

You ran a con on Benchmade. You didn't like the offer they gave you for your Father's (not yours) 31 year knife. You expected a $50 knife be replaced with a >$250 knife. After they wouldn't do it you threatened them by saying you would start a nasty thread about them here, which you did in their subforum. Then, when everyone pointed out how wrong you were on multiple levels you got pissed and started lashing out at people. Then it all turned out you got your dad's knife fixed and a gift certificate yet you still went around talking junk about BM. Once again the community called you on this BS and you left BFC for a nice while.

Nice reason to dislike BM :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  4. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    Nope. You threatened them kid. Sal wouldn't put up with threats either.

5. needler420

Apr 29, 2011
    Read the thread. A lot of people were on my side. Hence why benchmade gave a gift certificate. Which I told them that is not their warranty. Their warranty states they will "repair" or "replace the knife. They didn't do either. They stated the knife was $50 new when it came out in 1985 so they gave me a $75 dollar benchmade gift certificate.

Just because you don't agree with me others did.

It was a wakeup call for people who have old discontinued models. They might not get repaired.

Benchmade also kept my knife. Other members on here got a gift certificate issued and got to keep their broken knife. Not me.

I also don't know what you're talking about Sal and spyderco. Me and my dad have bought plenty of their knives with no issues. Benchmade was the only knife I ever sent in for warranty.

I brought up spyderco because Sal takes care of his clients and is actively participate with his fans.

People even said in that thread benchmade hurt their reputation the way they handled it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  6. Maddogg774

Maddogg774

Sep 19, 2011
    My very first thought: MANTIS

7. 19-3ben

19-3ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2015

This.

8. R15K

R15K

Mar 22, 2011
    Oh, got any links about the Brous thing? Haven't heard of it and I like/own several of knives but I won't keep buying them if that's true.

9. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    :rolleyes:

People can read the thread (and all your other recent ones) and decide who is in the wrong for themselves.

10. needler420

Apr 29, 2011
    ^ My point exactly. My other threads have nothing to do with one another.

And compared to what I see go on in whine and cheese I think others will agree.

11. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    If you search you can find multiple threads. Brous thieved designs from multiple designers, IIRC, in particular those of Jakub Wieczorkiewicz's Polish knife company, Poltergeist works (the Division, for example, is clearly a copy of the Jakub's Haunter). Here is one of the threads on that one for you.

Here is Brous's Division below with Jakub's much earlier Haunter fixed blade above:

[​IMG]

As I recall, there was word that they worked the issue out somehow after Brous was called out for it, but I could be remembering incorrectly.

Navel likes this.
  12. Armadew

Armadew Reisloafer

Nov 22, 2006
    Kut Throat Knives

13. R15K

R15K

Mar 22, 2011
    Thanks. On Another Forum this was brought up and the consensus was that the design was paid for, whether after being called out or not I don't know, and the Polish maker did give his permissions (but again I don't know if it was before or later). Guess I'll have to do some more reading.

And I did search but all the combinations of keywords I tried found me no threads about any controversy. I am however bad at the internet so that should be no surprise I guess.

14. HappyDaddy

HappyDaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I hate all of them, for various reasons. And posters - I hate all of them too, for various reasons. But, I really, really, hate Quartermaster and Strider, for reasons already stated.

15. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    As I recall the whole permission-giving thing was only negotiated after Brous was caught. The link I posted above quotes Jakub from a PM in which he wasn't happy about discovering the thievery. He's had a bunch of other goofy bad behavior as well, I vaguely remember him getting banned from USN for something or other, once upon a time.

16. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Whoa! That takes me back! :)

17. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    This makes me want to buy a Benchmade or three.

I guess the only makers I can say I "hate" are the cloners and thieves.

18. ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Sep 15, 2013
    not my opinion, but the general consensus nowadays seems to be (as per people's threads, comments and discussions):

United Cutlery, BudK, Mtech, Timber Wolf, Master Cutlery etc. make the cheapo gas station knives and Chinese junk
    CRKT and Boker have great designs and collabs but many QC issues, poor materials and bad knife for the money ratio
    Gerber and Schrade went to China, overseas production, losing quality, dignity, and reputation. Worsened their CS and QC too
    KAI seems to be losing lots of knife nuts as customers due to their newer (3Crcrap steel, horrible cheapos) models and decisions and the direction they've taken, much like SOG did a few years ago (worsening steel, QC, etc.)
    Microtech seems to have the worst CS ever, and horrible practices (copying, proprietary screws etc.)
    SRM and Ganzo take all the crap for their "homages" and copied ("inspired") designs
    Medford, QTRMST have serious ethics problems and shameful stories
    Bark River seems to have serious issues with their HT
    Mantis knives is seen as "chinese made junk" and "only mall ninja" stuff with horrible marketing and managing
    Cold Steel gets all the bashing for their advertising, marketing practices and overseas production
    Benchmade is being criticised as of late for their MAP policy and discontinuing their flagship models and HK line
    Spyderco receives many bad comments regarding designs and weird/odd models, looks and overall warranty policy
    ZT is the target of all the "flipper haters" and seems to be creating too much "artsy" knives and weird models as of late
    Emerson still takes a beating every week for their apparently overpriced folders, outdated designs and lack of QC or issues with their knives, especially for the $ paid

19. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Frost Cutlery (Chattanooga) comes to mind with their slippies. But they are generally cheap. You can just do better at the same price range.

If Bark River has a heat treat problem, I suspect it relates to their grinding and suspected production goals.

I generally stay away from Chinese made knives (for now). They are improving. It takes some convincing for me to buy one, but I still do on occasion.

20. ATJ999

ATJ999 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    I forget the name of this one that hijacks designs. I think it is ganzo. One of the many rip off companies...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.