1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Disliked knife brands?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by _glitch, Feb 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    This post has been edited for butt-hurt and stupidity ;)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  2. Sosa

Sosa

Feb 6, 2014
    It's good old fashioned fun. Those easily butthurt should not participate

3. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    And yet, those are the folks who seem to be drawn to these threads to denounce them as being mean and unnecessary--usually just after they find a comment about their favorite brand.

4. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    Perhaps I could use a dab of Preparation H tonight :D

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  5. Final Option

Final Option Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2012
    I always dislike threads that encourage people to dump on knife companies and makers, I've been to Blade and numerous knife shows both on east and west coast, I am a knife enthusiast and user, some models I like, some makers I like, however your arbitrary dumping on Benchmade is ridiculous. I have carried both manual and auto Adamas and for less than three bills I think it is a great value plus they donate to the military. They are US based hiring local skilled labor.

Your mall ninja throwing stars and self opening SAKs and taking on gun toting folks with a knife as your defense demonstrates your immaturity. Yes Sal is a great guy so is Rick and Mr. Winkler and whole bunch of makers and designers pushing the envelope.
    I burned out an original Leatherman Tool first run and you know what they replaced it no questions asked, in this business if you make a great product and back it up you stay in business, if you don' t well......

I remember my Gerber Mark 11 attached to my Alice Pack and Randall Model 14 on my hip, trusted both with my survival. Gerber went one direction and Randall still has 5 year waiting period.

6. FullMetalJackass

FullMetalJackass Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2016
    I don't dislike, I just ignore :)

7. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    ^

Probably good advice.

8. EdgeTip

EdgeTip

Feb 28, 2017
    Most so called "high quality" production brands are all hype and/or poor customer service/warranties I feel, with some exceptions. I dislike how Kershaw has so many cheap Chinese models. The only Kershaw knife I like is U.S. made and discontinued. I have one Kershaw that is still my favorite lightweight, budget edc. The Piston... disconinued of course. On the other hand, I like and own a few ZT knifes, (Kershaw's well built production USA models) which are probably my favorite production edc folders that I own and carry most of the time. (keep in mind I don't bother risking my money on other brands I hear bad things about) My experience with ZT customer service is the best I've had for folders. No questions asked replacement parts shipped to your door free. No need to provide proof of purchase or anything. (the only parts I've messed up were pocket clips). The ZTs I have are all suprizingly durable/solid 0566, 0561, 0562 (Hinderer designs) and recently testing out the 0804CF, 0808. A bit pricey but worth it because they stand by their products and they are built to last. Just started to appreciate some Benchmade folders but don't expect any customer support from them (major problem). As far as production knife brands go, I stick with the ones that are built tough, function well, and will last a long time with regular use. Most importantly, how the company stands by their products with their warranties and CS. I wish more companies would stand by their products like Esee fixed blades. Can't beat their no questions asked replacement guarantee for life, even if you intentionally destroy your knife. It's hard to justify buying anything else for regular use with the assurance that my Esee knives will last or be replaced as long as the company is in business.

9. Thetimefarm

Thetimefarm

Jul 28, 2015
    I honestly don't get the CRKT hate, sure they may not be awsome knives but for the most part they're affordable and offer some fairly practicle designs in my opinion.
    As for brands I dislike... Benchmade. Terrible QC in my experience and over priced for what they offer.

EDIT: Their customer service is pretty good though I don't know why people are saying it's bad, they sent me 2 free clips when I bent mine. But despite the return process being painless, my knife returned with the same fit and finish issues I sent it in for.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  10. Popsickle

Popsickle Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Why talk negative when MOST knife brands will come up sooner than later..... I'll quote Sal Glesser "not bad, just different". What works for some won't work for all so why even go here?

I'll be positive.....

My 2 favorite brands are ZT and Spyderco

11. Boxer .45

Boxer .45

Jan 11, 2015
    Glock. Bwahahaha.

I shoot a G19 but I thought it was funny. Lol If your a gun guy you'll get it.

12. Sosa

Sosa

Feb 6, 2014
    They should make a plastic 1911

13. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    Although some of the posts are true (like QRTRMASTR) this thread seems to be more about personal opinions and long lasting old prejudices rather than actual facts. In my opinion of course.

14. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    You misspelled it...it's spelled Block. ;)

15. photoman12001

photoman12001 Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2008
    I dislike Benchmade, Spyderco, Zero Tolerance, and Chris Reeve Knives because they have taken a lot of my money :D
    You could come up with a good/bad list for any knife company, some probably more skewed to one side than others, and plenty of opinions to support them.

You take the good
    You take the bad
    You take them both and there you have
    The facts of knives

16. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    This post wins the thread!!! :thumbup:

17. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    Agree.