Do you use your GEC knives?

My arsenal of GEC slicery runs 13 gems deep. To my eyeballs only 4 of them look better to me in their NIT shiny/no scratchy condition (38 English Whittler, 62 Stag, and my two White Owls - stag and bone). All the rest look best with patina IMO. Here are some of my most driven models.

66B20E31-8A21-4510-B7E8-9679198581F0.jpeg5DB96E69-2327-468F-A668-9234E18A1A58.jpeg18270543-1A2C-447F-A4C0-2DBEB739C798.jpeg

I only own one, a 66 calf roper slim. Two blades. I do carry and and use it from time to time and have even sharpened it on a stone. I'm thinking about selling it and using the money to pay off our mortgage, or maybe just renting it out so I can buy a Porsche.

All mine are purchased with the intention of being used. Finding time to use them all is the challenge. But none of them are safe queens.

hE9J9b.jpg

mVZ4TX.jpg

ThcN2e.jpg

I buy every single knife with the idea that I might actually use it. But in the end, most only get used to take out and admire, oil, play with, and talk about with my son. That actually is a fine use I think, knife talk and show and tell with my son. I only actually cut with about 10% of my GEC knives. They have to fit into rotation with all the Hammer, Queen, Schrade, and Rough Rider knives I have. I never sell knives, though I might trade some. One day my son will get them all.

I only have 1, and I do use it regularly. Dropped it on the concrete a time or two...YIKES! The blades are starting to patina on the spine from being held. And scratches on the blades develop from whittling knots and bark and such. I guess small particles of sand and dirt get trapped in the wood as it grows.

Anyways, yeah I use the snot out of it.

Last edited:
Well, do I use my knives when I need a cut? I do, and if I happen to carry a GEC at the moment, I will use it. The other question is does a need for a knife arises very often? The answer is no, to be completely honest, pretty rarely. :rolleyes:😁

I don't have a habit of intentionally finding a cutting tasks for my cutlery, but still love 'em all. Even if they don't cut often, when they do they really are of a big help. 🙂

I enjoy using mine,taking them on road trips make's them even more special to me.

Those I am unsure of using I trade for something I will use.

I have used my blade forum knife the most this year.

Its with me on my latest road trip along with a Sudbuster and 3 Swiss army knifes 😂

What I want next is a harness jack so I can use the heck out of the awl/pick/punch/reamer 😆

I candidly have more GEC knives in my collection than I will ever use. I'm primarily a collector, and don't feel bad about it in the slightest. I do rotate several of them as carry knives and when I DO use those several, they're for tasks that couldn't honestly be called "hard use". Opening mail, cutting a shirt thread, food prep/eating, etc. About as EDC as it gets. With my GECs, I have two or three that I've designated as "food use", chosen because I didn't mind if they developed a patina, as I like to keep the rest in patina-free condition.

I like having them, and enjoy seeing what new things GEC will come up with.

Almost two years later, this is even more true now than it was then. :D

You ever get any hits on the mouse bait?
Never committed enough time to it honestly. In spots I normally do well with frogs I figured the mice would work but turns out these bass like frogs more. Lol So I usually give up on em early.
I did lose a pike to a large mouse lure last year in an area I've fished specifically for them. But in my limited experience with mouse lures, I don't see much action. I'd rather tie something else on. At least in my usual body of water.

Never committed enough time to it honestly. In spots I normally do well with frogs I figured the mice would work but turns out these bass like frogs more. Lol So I usually give up on em early.
I did lose a pike to a large mouse lure last year in an area I've fished specifically for them. But in my limited experience with mouse lures, I don't see much action. I'd rather tie something else on. At least in my usual body of water.
I’ve done well with a white lizard during spawning especially.

Back