1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Do your morals have any impact on your knife purchases?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by shinyedges, Nov 29, 2014.

1. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Thanks. I believe that is what shinyedges is asking.....I could be way off.

2. Aias

Aias

Aug 1, 2012
    This is a clear way to draw an otherwise ambiguous line; totally agreed. Though, I can't think of a company/ maker that is openly racist. But that is likely a matter of my lack of knowledge.

3. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Hoo doggies, I can think of one for sure. Another maybe. It happens. Ugly.

4. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    I saved some photos of some automatics that caused an uproar a few years back for documentation purposes. Ugly for sure.

Ethics and morality are incredibly important to me.

5. Aias

Aias

Aug 1, 2012
    Marcinek... help me out brother! I need to know. Message me somehow if you wish to not post in the thread. BTW, you laid out your ideas quite well. Belieberism is a repugnant thing...

6. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    That's who I was thinking of.

7. Aias

Aias

Aug 1, 2012
    2 seconds of google-jitsu got me an answer with regard to the autos

8. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Yup. Just to get back on track....

Say another Marcinek model, the Overcompensator, from a few years ago had some graphics on it that you found offensive.

Do you buy the non offensively decorated current Stabinator?

9. edh3007

edh3007

Sep 26, 2014
    Morals matter. Business practices matter.
    But I am at a loss as to why someone would not buy from a company or maker due to "fanboys". (As some posters mentioned.) Am I missing some moral connection between fanboys and knifemakers?
    Because if having a large and vocal fanboy base is a moral issue, then none of us should be buying AR15s, AKs, model 1911 handguns, any any number of wildly popular knives!
    And I guess I might be guilty. :)
    Cheers, Ed

10. Aias

Aias

Aug 1, 2012
    To be honest, I would avoid the whole line/ company... there are many choices out there to fulfill my Overcompensator needs ;)

11. Aias

Aias

Aug 1, 2012
    Agreed Edh3007... fanboys does not strike me as a "moral" issue...

12. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    It's important to realize that whenever you make a purchase you're buying more than the item itself. I don't personally tend to let the presence of fanboys dissuade me from a purchase. Like all the other factors, however, some folks wish to avoid "buying into" a group they find distasteful due to the association of the item with the fanboys and their decorum or lack thereof despite the connection being indirect. :)

13. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Maybe, maybe not. As I don't want to give money to ill mannered jerks, I font want yo be associated with them either.

Maybe being an ill mannered jerk is not a moral shortcoming, but I'm tossing them in there with the rest anyway.

14. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Yeah! What he said.

15. Aias

Aias

Aug 1, 2012
    fair enough guys--not wanting to run with/be associated with a certain crowd makes sense; not buying into it (literally and figuratively) matters. Since I typically do not, I don't spend much thought on it--but good points, they are noted.

16. RedLynx

RedLynx Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 5, 2011
    So true!

17. Sosa

Sosa

Feb 6, 2014
    Speaking of racists[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

18. RedLynx

Aug 5, 2011
    It's extremely hard to tell whether the symbol on the hat is the same as the belt buckle, at least for me. I don't even know what it is. All it reminds me of right now is an Expendables-esque logo.

19. Sosa

Sosa

Feb 6, 2014
    It's a totenkopf. His father was a member of the Austrian nazi party. Some of His movies are good though.

20. RedLynx

Aug 5, 2011
    Didn't know that about him, interesting (although I personally don't think we should hold it against him that his dad was a Party member, but I can understand not wanting to see him wear the buckle, even if it is an heirloom or something). I do like several of his films. Everyone seems to have hated one of his latest, Sabotage, but I actually enjoyed it.