Does any one out there have any simmons hardware or keen kutter knives?

thanks for the comments and likes. Yes Paul, the 1773 3/4 is a barlow, I believe commonly called a daddy barlow.

The K6559 is a wonderful scout, Dan!! With its Saber-ground main blade, and lo-o-o-ng punch, it is most unusual!!:thumbsup:

E.C. Simmons. Nice old HJ.
uBqi4aO.jpg

E.C. Simmons coke bottle
dcuZs6Y.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments on the scout, Charlie.
Two great old Keen Kutters, rockman0, thanks for posting those!:thumbsup: I love to see other KKs come out of the woodwork.

Went all the way through this thread again. Quite a collection Dan, do you know how many KK’s you have now?

I need to repost the worn FJ and I’ll put the new one in this thread.

The Old Town Hotel in Wichita is built in an old hardware warehouse. They have lots of Keen Cutter items in displays on both sides of the elevator on each of 4 floors. Anyone in Wchita that likes Keen Cutter or old time hardware should stop by, 1st street by the farmers market.

Thanks for the comment, wlfryjr, all tolled I have just over 50 Keen Kutters and a couple of old Simmons Hardware with the hornet.
Would love to see you FJs in this thread, especially that newest Simmons Hardware with the hornet!:thumbsup: I have been pondering on that knife ever since you posted it over on the other forum.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of EC Simons KKs I don’t believe I have posted in this thread. Top one in the first photo is a 3 & 3/4 inch SB Whittler that has been cleaned and polished (not by me) with blade loss and some reprofiling. It has very pretty sort of gouged bone handles. Great W & T and perfect function. I believe it is a pattern number K33297 3/4 (see Sellens pg. 192). According to Sellens circa 1914-1920.

The second is tang marked just like the SB Whittler with the wedge and bar logo (EC Simmons/Keen Kutter/ St Louis/ Mo) but is a three spring Whittler pattern. It also has been cleaned and polished in the past and has blade loss and some blade reprofiling. Can’t find anything about this one in Sellens. Dan you have any ideas on this one? Thanks1AE757ED-85F8-46E6-97BD-5287660077CD.jpeg DC5B2D75-716A-4EA1-ABA2-CDCE37B3C9A0.jpeg 6CBAEDF4-C6B0-4553-9428-86DE24705829.jpeg 222B3AE6-C013-483C-835B-796E2A9F1C3F.jpeg

RIMG1622.JPG Lloyd, what a couple of great patterns!:thumbsup::thumbsup: I concur with you on the first one being a K33297 3/4. Sabre ground clip blade with a deep swage, very nice! Can you see remnants of tang stamps on the secondary blades?
I assume the 3 spring knife is 3 3/4" as well? I can only find 2 3 3/4" with that same frame shape in Sellens. To me, it looks like a K38 3/4 (page 143). The blade configuration also matches. The old Simmons catalogs, for the most part, did not give pattern names, or detail backspring configurations. Sellens says it had the crest shield from 1924 to 1934. Again, I would expect there should be tang stamps on the secondary blades as well. Their absence may be due to heavy cleaning? The K738 3/4, on page 157, is also the same frame, but, with a punch in place of the pen blade.
Lovely coloured bone on each of them with some interesting jigging.
Thanks for posting those in this thread.:thumbsup::thumbsup: Above is from a 1930 catalog reprint.

Last edited:
Thanks Dan! On the SB Whittler I can only see remnants of tang Stamps on all blades. As you say probably an indication of heavy handed cleaning and polishing. I have had this one for years and never paid it much attention until I was looking for another folder and spotted it and thought of this thread.

The three spring Whittler is 3 & 5/8 inches. This has the clearest and well defined and visible tang Stamps on all blades. It is definitely the same handle and blade pattern or shape as the K38 3/4 on page 143. To bad the catalog and Sellens don’t indicate the number of springs as three is fairly unique. However this three spring is 3 & 5/8 inches—I just measured again to confirm.

So based on Sellens the SB Whittler is slightly older than the three spring. So the SB Whittler was probably produced by Walden and the three spring could be Winchester made if early on or before around 1929 when Simmons and Winchester parted ways?

Thanks for posting a photo of the 1930 catalog reprint—much appreciated Dan:thumbsup:

The three spring Whittler is 3 & 5/8 inches. This has the clearest and well defined and visible tang Stamps on all blades. It is definitely the same handle and blade pattern or shape as the K38 3/4 on page 143. To bad the catalog and Sellens don’t indicate the number of springs as three is fairly unique. However this three spring is 3 & 5/8 inches—I just measured again to confirm.

I am not sure now, 1/8" difference between your knife and the catalog seems like too much?

A couple of beauties, Lyle!! I like both blades enormously on the Simmons!!

Lyle, Keen Kutters can not be very accurately dated by the tang stamp. The stamp on yours was used from 1905 right up until 1940, when Shapleigh bought Simmons. I am dating them from the book. Sellens went through every catalog Simmons Hardware put out. He then arranged all the information in a book with every pattern that was in the catalogs, listing them with variations and the range of years over which they were in the catalogs. He says that your farmer's jack was in the catalogs between 1905 and 1920 (catalogs available bracketing this time period were 1904, 1908, 1912, 1913, 1914, 1915, 1917, 1918 and 1921/22).
Your Simmons Hardware FJ, beauty that it is, is still a mystery.

Back