Does anyone know a story of this damaged Busse SAR 4?

I'm all for doing whatever you/anyone likes with their gear, and even random semi-destructive tests.

But, I just don't get the edge vs edge "test". not that it matters, but that in particular seems the most pointless.

chopping through a chain, or a brick, or a computer, or a car door - all might happen in real life. this, though, is just odd.

carry on though, it's quite entertaining.

This crew saves money when they go out to drink at the bars!
oh yeah!!! :)
the bar's staff do not let us to perform our tests there:D

Us Alaskans want to see more of a real world test to help decide on the right knife, like best bear defense knife :D

Or after the mauling which knife to use to amputate a leg or arm?

Hate to get out there and not have the best knife for the job!

we have the same problem, that is why we keep testing)))

it's not a good reason , it is a side effect...:)

Your type of tests will always result in the same outcome, so there is no good reason to do them. I really don't care what you do with your knives, it just doesn't serve any purpose in my opinion or prove anything.

azzkikr_rus,
I am curious if you dudes have watched any of the knifetest.com videos? They have some of the "BIG GUNS" of Busse in the destruction test. Welcome to the forum from Louisiana, USA !

This crew saves money when they go out to drink at the bars!

Us Alaskans want to see more of a real world test to help decide on the right knife, like best bear defense knife :D

Or after the mauling which knife to use to amputate a leg or arm?

Hate to get out there and not have the best knife for the job!

I like your way of thinking, more real world testing is in order! ;)

That's a nice repair job. Looks like Alexey Kouckin does good work.

Scrap Yard Knife Works reincarnated)))

I don't see these as "Repairs", but rather as "Salvages", salvage as in seeing if a usable knife can be left after the amount of material is removed to get a clean edge back. A repair would when you have a rolled edge or a small ding that a minimum amount of effort is need to the blade. Look how much of the blade width has been removed, it has to have a much thicker edge now. That AD is going to be a tooth pick when it is "Repaired"!!! :eek:

azzkikr_rus,
I am curious if you dudes have watched any of the knifetest.com videos? They have some of the "BIG GUNS" of Busse in the destruction test. Welcome to the forum from Louisiana, USA !

yes sure, we watch the tests there)

The pic with the K9 is interresting, thank you.

Undoubtedly, it takes all sorts to make a world. Everybody can do everything with a knife... But, in my opinion, a knife, even a Busse, stays a knife. And a real test must respect the knife functions or it is a nonsense, an absurdity. Personnaly, all I can see here is destruction.

In definitive, Azzkikr_rus, what did you learn with this experience?...

I don't see these as "Repairs", but rather as "Salvages", salvage as in seeing if a usable knife can be left after the amount of material is removed to get a clean edge back. A repair would when you have a rolled edge or a small ding that a minimum amount of effort is need to the blade. Look how much of the blade width has been removed, it has to have a much thicker edge now. That AD is going to be a tooth pick when it is "Repaired"!!! :eek:

I can not get what you mean). Are you saying that it was possible to repair those knife, but the guy did not his work bad? or you are saying that after those damages only salvage possible?

ps Mr Kouckin only repaired Busse from the other test, not those knifes.

Well I enjoyed this .... for me we now have two series of destructive tests with Noz and now our Russian friends who show once and for all the merits and strength of the Heat Treatment and Cyrogenic Stress Relieving that Busse employ in their knife making process.

It also shows how these methods are working when good quality heat treatments from other providers on steels such as CPM3V are still leaving stress in the blade causing the fracture and failure.

I'm not saying their is anything wrong with the CPM3V HT .... Paul Bos does a great treatment .... but the advantage of the stress relieving in the Busse set up can be seen in the results .... the impact depth on these blades is also less and this has to be attributed to the uniform structure of the steel and it's ability to absorb impact.

These attributes also have evidence from other respected sources .... some time ago Jerry gave a very respected Forge knifemaker some Infi to see how it worked in forge making as opposed to stock removal .... one of the comments made by this forgemaster was that when testing the steel with a Rockwell Pin Tester which impacts the steel and measures depth to determine hardness ... in most steels under a microscope you can see the cracks from the pin around the indentation ..... his view was that with Infi it seemed to simply absorb the impact without any residual cracks showing.

Essentially showing the same form of performance as shown here .... and making the bona fide aspect of Infi being a market leader steel for hard use clear and not a lot of marketing "hype" as is said many times ....

The Infi test with the knife forger I will have to hunt out .... his name begins with a "Z" ... I am sure someone will be able to chip in and confirm .... but it makes me feel quite convinced that for my large knife blades which will connect with stones or nails in wood through chopping .... that I am using the best steel for the task .... I am sure many will also feel this .... and what's more .... these guys are having fun .... which they are entitled to do .... and passing on some insight for the rest of us. They're fine by me ....:thumbup:

....Эх, распиздяи....

Insulting other members will not be tolerated in any language on this forum... :thumbdn:

Also... Those who quote another's insult in their post for the purpose of agreeing with it may very well find themselves wearing the same infraction as the original poster of an insult...so from now on, please think before you post.

We may not always agree with what others choose to do with their knives but it is their right and their knives, so when this happens, the best course of action is to just leave the thread rather than posting insulting remarks in it.

Please remain civil to each other. Thank you.

Carry on, Porkers! :)

Back