Dogs and traditional knives

I had to put my best buddy down this morning. Ole Gunny's been going steadily downhill for a few months, but he just kept plugging away & wouldn't give up. This morning, he couldn't move his hind end & was having a really hard time breathing, so we paid a final visit to the vet.

RIP Gunny!

He had been my constant companion ever since he was a puppy. I couldn't go anywhere, or do anything without him supervising. Here's a pic my wife took of him looking out the back window one time, when I had the nerve to leave in the pickup without him.

He's buried out back under the willow tree now, with all the other labs & cats we've had over the years.

I’m so very sorry for your loss of Gunny Ironbut Ironbut , my prayers go out to you and your family and Gunny too.
🙏🙏🙏

I had to put my best buddy down this morning. Ole Gunny's been going steadily downhill for a few months, but he just kept plugging away & wouldn't give up. This morning, he couldn't move his hind end & was having a really hard time breathing, so we paid a final visit to the vet.

RIP Gunny!

He had been my constant companion ever since he was a puppy. I couldn't go anywhere, or do anything without him supervising. Here's a pic my wife took of him looking out the back window one time, when I had the nerve to leave in the pickup without him.

He's buried out back under the willow tree now, with all the other labs & cats we've had over the years.
Condolences over losing your canine friend. It's always such a sad event, but is more than made up for by all the preceding years when each of you gave the other lots of joy!

- GT

RIP Gunny!

Sorry for your loss, he was a beautiful dog. I just had to bury my dog yesterday as well. Better times will come.

RIP Gunny!

So sorry for your loss. What a good pup.

Obligatory new knife sniff....

view

View attachment 2534443my first blade delete by glenbad,did a great job.its my dog thinks it a bone in a bone.View attachment 2534446
It's been a wild two weeks for my trusted hound dog.he couldn't urinate for 24 hours and took him to merge on the Friday ,turns out he had over a 100 stones that needed to be removed, took him in last night to have staples removed,and found he got a hernia in past 2 weeks and needs another surgery Tuesday.

It's been a wild two weeks for my trusted hound dog.he couldn't urinate for 24 hours and took him to merge on the Friday ,turns out he had over a 100 stones that needed to be removed, took him in last night to have staples removed,and found he got a hernia in past 2 weeks and needs another surgery Tuesday.
I hate to hear of your hounds troubles. Surgery like that is never easy, human or K9. I know from experience with ours. I hope everything goes well with the upcoming surgery & that he heals well.

I always find myself chuckling and "Ooooh" sounds looking at these beautiful friends, and I am always a little teary eyed with that, I love Dogs so much and miss my wee friends terribly.
I hope your PAL is going to be o Old, it sounds like he will be- he will be feeling SO much better now, let alone once the Hernia op is done 😍

Best wishes and hope all goes according to plan. A loyal and trusted hound dog is something special. I've posted mine in this thread. It was somewhat difficult holding her back while she recovered from necessary procedures back when I got her, but short term (six weeks of) discipline paid off in the long run. Hope he is back to himself after a full recovery.

I always find myself chuckling and "Ooooh" sounds looking at these beautiful friends, and I am always a little teary eyed with that, I love Dogs so much and miss my wee friends terribly.
I hope your PAL is going to be o Old, it sounds like he will be- he will be feeling SO much better now, let alone once the Hernia op is done 😍
I was under the understanding that after his stone surgery he was not to run,I was not worried because the big guy never runs fast,the last few years he does a fast trot,even a squirrel or geese only puts him in a one second burst just to rattle them,I have to believe the hernia came from him jumping in back of crew cab which is decked out with a sheet of plywood covered in a rug, and has a bed with the seats folded up,his private fifedom. So did that do it,I don't know.

Last edited:
I was under the understanding that after his stone surgery he was not to run,I was not worried because the big guy never runs fast last few years and does a fast trot,even a squirrel or geese only puts him in a one second burst to rattle them,I have to believe the hernia came from him jumping in back of crew cab which is decked out with a sheet a plywood covered in a rug and a bed with seats the folded up,his private fifedom. So did that do it,I don't know.
It may have, it doesn't take much sometimes. My old hound had a cancer mass removed from his thigh years ago. He kept breaking the stitches & the vet got on to me about letting him jump or run. I told them I haven't let him do any kind of stuff like that, naturally they didn't believe me. But one day during a checkup after replacing stitches, he was half asleep on the floor & busted three more (heard each individual one pop) by doing a good lazy stretch while laying down. The vet tech freaked out with a gasp... I responded "I told you I wasn't lying" 🤣
The vet finally believed me & did another surgery & put a mesh under the skin to help hold the stitches in place. I also made a ramp out of plywood & put some old carpet on top as a traction aid to help him into the truck for vet visits when his mobility started to go down. Maybe your hound could use similar to help him in recovery 👍

Edit for clarification & grammar.

Last edited:
I made ramps everywhere for Izzy, small ones for her to gauge the doorstep, I made a bridge that was about 15 feet long for her to reach the Grass Lawn from the Front Entrance, Izzy also had a ramp to climb up to her double bed. I stopped taking her in the car because you'd have to lift her- ans as she got older she just did not like that.

I would have taken out walls of the House if it had helped her lol. The things we do for these amazing friends- and so we should.

Ask us as we get older how we got our Hernia's - we don't know either - I'm glad he is getting all the love he deserves! Good People are good to animals!

Thats where I go wrong, I do judge people on how they treat animals - if I see animal abuse - putting out that heavy trash bag would make me sleep well that night 🤣 😄

I made ramps everywhere for Izzy, small ones for her to gauge the doorstep, I made a bridge that was about 15 feet long for her to reach the Grass Lawn from the Front Entrance, Izzy also had a ramp to climb up to her double bed. I stopped taking her in the car because you'd have to lift her- ans as she got older she just did not like that.

I would have taken out walls of the House if it had helped her lol. The things we do for these amazing friends- and so we should.

Ask us as we get older how we got our Hernia's - we don't know either - I'm glad he is getting all the love he deserves! Good People are good to animals!

Thats where I go wrong, I do judge people on how they treat animals - if I see animal abuse - putting out that heavy trash bag would make me sleep well that night 🤣 😄
Ya it's tough,on the bright side he has saved me from buying more traditional knives,but that might not be a good thing when I stop and ponder it.to be honest i thought it was sagging from having him neutered at the same time as stone surgery,there's a study that was done in the uk on mastiff breeds that showed that neutered dogs may not develop stones at same rate as in tact dogs.but just remembered it's a knife forum, thanks all.robert

I was under the understanding that after his stone surgery he was not to run,I was not worried because the big guy never runs fast,the last few years he does a fast trot,even a squirrel or geese only puts him in a one second burst just to rattle them,I have to believe the hernia came from him jumping in back of crew cab which is decked out with a sheet of plywood covered in a rug, and has a bed with the seats folded up,his private fifedom. So did that do it,I don't know.
Hope your "pup" recovers quickly. I hope he doesn't get a complex.

My old lab that we just put down was scared to death of the vet. Thankfully, in his fourteen years he never needed to go to the vet except for his regular checkups & shots. That dog could ride all over the county in the back seat of the pickup, with his head out the window, enjoying himself; but all I had to do was turn down the township road that the vet has his office, and that dog would hide on the floor, trying to disappear.

This big goofball though, is an attention hog. Going to the vet just means that more people will be petting her & playing with her. She'll gladly put up with a couple shots if it means a little more attention.

This is Mya. We "rescued" her from our son a couple years ago. We were just supposed to be dog sitting for a couple weeks while they visited relatives in CO, but when we went to their home in OH to pick her up, she weighed 120 pounds, and could barely walk a quarter mile. They have 10 acres of wooded ground, but the dog's outdoor time was confined to a small fenced-in back yard. They're working all the time & their two college age girls were too busy on their phones to pay any attention to the poor dog. After we had her a couple days, our son called to see how she was doing & my wife unloaded on him, and told him they weren't getting Mya back unless they started exercising her & paying attention to her. They agreed that Mya was better off with us. Which was good, because I had already gotten PA dog license for her. :)

Now she's a happy 85 pounds, goes for two walks a day, and runs around the back yard like a maniac. Everybody she sees is her new best friend.

Last edited:
Hope your "pup" recovers quickly. I hope he doesn't get a complex.

My old lab that we just put down was scared to death of the vet. Thankfully, in his fourteen years he never needed to go to the vet except for his regular checkups & shots. That dog could ride all over the county in the back seat of the pickup, with his head out the window, enjoying himself; but all I had to do was turn down the township road that the vet has his office, and that dog would hide on the floor, trying to disappear.

This big goofball though, is an attention hog. Going to the vet just means that more people will be petting her & playing with her. She'll gladly put up with a couple shots if it means a little more attention.

This is Mya. We "rescued" her from our son a couple years ago. We were just supposed to be dog sitting for a couple weeks while they visited relatives in CO, but when we went to their home in OH to pick her up, she weighed 120 pounds, and could barely walk a quarter mile. They have 10 acres of wooded ground, but the dog's outdoor time was confined to a small fenced-in back yard. They're working all the time & their two college age girls were too busy on their phones to pay any attention to the poor dog. After we had her a couple days, our son called to see how she was doing & my wife unloaded on him, and told him they weren't getting Mya back unless they started exercising her & paying attention to her. They agreed that Mya was better off with us. Which was good, because I had already gotten PA dog license for her. :)

Now she's a happy 85 pounds, goes for two walks a day, and runs around the back yard like a maniac. Everybody she sees is her new best friend.
That was good of you. I wouldn't have a dog if I worked full time.
My 20 yr old keeps telling me she wants a couple when she moves out. Luckily I don't think that wil happen.
Buddy is going on 14, slowing down only a couple of big walks in him in a week. The youngest has been spending more time with him. I asked her to have a look for a new coat for him at work( works In a kmart style store).
Well no coat but a nice new bed, so he can sleep in her room😲 so buddy follows me around all day till Lilly gets home and he ditches me.

Back