Doug Ritter RSK Knife Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Critter Critter How many of these serialized knives were produced?

Out of the initial order of M390 steel a significant number of blades were used for prototypes. Plus, always some scrapped, moreso with a first production run. I would guess we get somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 +/-

Thank you Doug for your hard work regarding knife rights and feeding the need with this knife. I own two of your Ritter grips, one for L/E work and the other for weekends. They are my EDC. I’m excited to purchase this knife and look forward to seeing more scale options down the road (perhaps smooth scales, different G10 color or even a special edition Carbon Fiber). Nevertheless, I’m certain your new knife will be well received.

Will this be a regularly available model, or is it a limited run? Than you.

Last edited:
Not sure what people's problem with this. I for one love the design and i missed the original Benchmade's version of this. If anyone think it's "clone" and against their principle to buy it, don't buy it. Complaining here is not gonna stop this from happening.
Strictly from practical point of view, where do you find $153 knife with M390, made in US and designed by a great designer who happened to be a big contributor to the knife community? I know Spyderco produces some in that price range but it's rare(sure not impossible) to see others knives with this price/quality ratio.
Sit down, take a breath and relax. Take some time to appreciate that we live in a time where we have so many quality knives within reach, and the fact that some of us are able to carry them around due to the works some people did to preserve that freedom.
There are more important things beside sitting behind a screen being cynical about everything and trying to rack up as many forum post counts as you can.

Out of the initial order of M390 steel a significant number of blades were used for prototypes. Plus, always some scrapped, moreso with a first production run. I would guess we get somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 +/-

The new knife looks great and has great specs! As a member of Knife Rights I appreciate everything that you do for us. About the only complaint that I have is these laws in Illinois that say that I cannot carry a 4 inch folder, and if I do find myself in legal trouble, it's a felony. That my friend is a pain in the a**.

I'll buy one of these new knives to support your good deeds.

I like it. Look forward to handling one as the scales look less rounded & slimmer. From the descriptions it sounds like some minor improvements have been made. So:

Proven design
ABLE (Ambidextrous Bar Lock Enhanced) lock
M390 steel
G10 scales
Minor improvements
USA made
Costs less than a G10 Griptillian with a similar steel
Sales help Knife Rights organization

Sounds like a win/win to me. About the only people who should be upset are those trying to flip BM Ritter Grips on the secondary market.

Knife works has the blade thickness as 0.155" and 2.92 mm. 0.155" is close to 4mm. Is it supposed to be listed at 0.115"?

I like it. Look forward to handling one as the scales look less rounded & slimmer. From the descriptions it sounds like some minor improvements have been made. So:

Proven design
ABLE (Ambidextrous Bar Lock Enhanced) lock
M390 steel
G10 scales
Minor improvements
USA made
Costs less than a G10 Griptillian with a similar steel
Sales help Knife Rights organization

Sounds like a win/win to me. About the only people who should be upset are those trying to flip BM Ritter Grips on the secondary market.

Everything sounds great on paper but I have no experience with Hogue and don't know how well they can execute the axis lock. I think I'm going to wait for reviews first on this one since it's so new. I expect zero blade play and centered blades out of the box, otherwise it's a pass for me.

Knife works has the blade thickness as 0.155" and 2.92 mm. 0.155" is close to 4mm. Is it supposed to be listed at 0.115"?

I'm curious about this as well. 0.155" puts this in a different territory.

1st post, new guy... I just pre-ordered 2 of these. I'm hungry for more M390 blades. I just got the knife bug over summer and have collected quite a few Benchmades. The 1st generation Presidios caught my eye after first seeing a 940 on a list of top 10 knives, something you do when you are first getting in to something new: goog top *whatever* and start from there. At least it's what I do. I am a confirmed Presidio junkie, but I'm not really down with the Presidio 2 family for whatever reason. I handled a mini and the lock was sticky. I also thought to myself - hmmm, why do the new Presidios not mention Pardue? That seemed wrong to me.

I was never a fan of the Griptilian aesthetics, but over time I noticed the Ritter versions and they seemed to have a dedicated following. I've had my eye on a Knifeworks BM 810 in M390 and went to look at the exclusives page tonight and saw this Doug Ritter sitting there in first position on the page. Wow! Looked good, delicious M390, great price, pre-order intrigue - hooked. Shot Show blue Volli in M390 was my gateway to this metal.

After pre-order I started surfing for more news/info and came across this thread and had to join. I must admit a little post purchase trepidation on full liners or not. I've seen busted nylon Griptilian handles. My sense is that the G10 will help a lot and the furthest back screw seems to leave maybe around an inch unlined? Seems solid enough to me but not sure. Anyway, I've just learned more tonight about Critter and the work he does and am happy to support his work.

I watched a BladeHQ (I think) vid on Hogue knife operations and they seem solid, but have not been moved yet by their original designs. If they can turn out better fit and finish than Benchmade it's worth keeping an eye on. I've already fallen into a routine where I'm sending knives back to the Bench for fixes that their QC should have caught before sending out.

Numbering on the Knifeworks photo is unobtrusive unlike the gaudy Benchmade markings of similar limited or first productions.

Last edited:
I missed the run of Benchmade Ritters (got into this hobby about a year ago and they were all gone), so I’ll be happy to get one of these.

I’d LOVE a mini version, as that’s the size I like to carry, but maybe the handle could be just a little longer?

What was the release date on these? May wait for some opinions before actually grabbing one.

It’s hard to argue how nice this knife is, combined with the steel and proven design. I am not gonna lie and say that I’m stoked it’s a spitting image of the benchamde griptillian.

That said, for the 150-180 price with premium steel and the Ritter blade profile I want one.

I hope the intentions are altruistic.

I got kinda soured on BM when they discoed the Ritter Grips and started producing a very similar design without Doug’s name on it. Seemed like a penny pinching move......IMO.
Don’t really blame Doug for making this move and the knife is priced reasonably.

I have a mini from the previous manufacturer. I missed the boat on the full size. I am going to pull the trigger on one of these. Keep up the good fight with Knife Rights Mr. Ritter.

The new knife looks great and has great specs! As a member of Knife Rights I appreciate everything that you do for us. About the only complaint that I have is these laws in Illinois that say that I cannot carry a 4 inch folder, and if I do find myself in legal trouble, it's a felony. That my friend is a pain in the a**.

I'll buy one of these new knives to support your good deeds.
That only applies in Chicago and major cites. Illinois doesn't have a length law that I know of anymore. There used to be iirc. But that has changed last I read. But indeed Chicago has to be 2" iirc. I carry plenty of 4" folders but I'm not in the city... Though not been stopped by LE either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back