DPX HEST Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the same problem when I tried the first sample.
I had to change the way to keep it in my hand, and immediately was easy to open it.
Try some time, it is a new knife... I am sure that in half an hour you will be able and you will be happy.
In any case I respect your opinion.

I've read many of Horn Dog's reviews and respect his opinion very much. But I have to say that these are the words of a true gentleman. My opinion of you just went up quite a few notches, Gianni.

Why ? He's a member here isn't he? This is a knife forum and we talk about knives...good and bad.

Yes you are right and I respect everyone's opinion, good or bad.

Originally this topic was posted on the ESEE forum. I think it was not the best place to talking about a DPX knife.
DPX forum would have been a better choice for talking about a DPX knife, right?

Now the topic has been moved and that's fine ;)

Greetings

I had the same problem when I tried the first sample.
I had to change the way to keep it in my hand, and immediately was easy to open it.
Try some time, it is a new knife... I am sure that in half an hour you will be able and you will be happy.
In any case I respect your opinion.

Well I thank you for responding, Gianni. My right thumb is sore from trying repeatedly yesterday to get the hang of opening this knife. I even loosened the pivot pin nut and applied a teflon lubricant. I have dozens of knives, most of which are designed to open one-handed. This one is a bear, Gianni. Let me know when the automatic version comes out.

Horndog your money is sitting right here whenever you want it back. We dont' want unhappy customers. Lion Steel has been making knives for almost half a century and if you have specific opinions based on measurements, facts or actual use please send them to me and I will forward them to Lion Steel. Use makes the product better.

Your comments are your personal opinion but I await your knife if it was not what you expected. I have to say your comments don't match other customers that have sent us some wonderful emails, tests, reviews and glowing comments.

Some advice. The HEST/F was shipped with the tension tightened because savvy customers were concerned that some states, countries grab knives they deem as flippable. You have a free tool that allows you to adjust to the correct tension.

Hard use folders can feel a little tough on first use but after a week or so the moving parts should seat.

The HEST/F uses a teflon washer. Putting lubricant on it is not recommended and will attract dirt.

If you need any more advice contact customerservice@dpxgear.com

Yes you are right and I respect everyone's opinion, good or bad.

Originally this topic was posted on the ESEE forum. I think it was not the best place to talking about a DPX knife.
DPX forum would have been a better choice for talking about a DPX knife, right?

Now the topic has been moved and that's fine ;)

Greetings

I posted in the ESEE forum because the DPX forum was shut down and initially it was ESEE fans that ordered the HEST Folders. Also, Lion Steel was going to make the new ESEE-3 folder but cancelled. But it really does belong in knife reviews. Sorry.

Last edited:
Horndog your money is sitting right here whenever you want it back. We dont' want unhappy customers. Lion Steel has been making knives for almost half a century and if you have specific opinions based on measurements, facts or actual use please send them to me and I will forward them to Lion Steel. Use makes the product better.

Your comments are your personal opinion but I await your knife if it was not what you expected. I have to say your comments don't match other customers that have sent us some wonderful emails, tests, reviews and glowing comments.

Some advice. The HEST/F was shipped with the tension tightened because savvy customers were concerned that some states, countries grab knives they deem as flippable. You have a free tool that allows you to adjust to the correct tension.

Hard use folders can feel a little tough on first use but after a week or so the moving parts should seat.

The HEST/F uses a teflon washer. Putting lubricant on it is not recommended and will attract dirt.

Before, you defended the knife by saying Lionsteel was new to making folders (I'm not going to search through your posts, but you said it). Now, you're saying they are a old company as a defense. You constantly contradict yourself. I really have no idea why you do not just fall back, and let Lionsteel handle answering the questions. It's painfully obvious to all of us that you have little to no clue about knives, in general.

Horndog, LionSteel made both the prototypes for the DPx HEST/F and the ESEE folder. If you go back and read both my and Jeff's review on the knives and their quality they simply don't match your opinion. Yes the protos are hand made by Gianni's people but the production folders are much nicer. We had some hiccups with a few selected knives but as I keep saying not only do we want those knives back to inspect them we also want the customer to get the product they expect. I strongly disagree with your statement since the consensus is that Lion Steel is known throughout the industry as a company that makes both innovative and high quality knives. Ergo the interest of ESEE and myself wanting them to dedicate their somewhat limited output to make quality knives.

EMT Lee - I never defended Lion Steel as "being new to folders". They are quite experienced in making them. IN fact do some research on the town of Maniago. Seems like they have been making knives, swords, folders for a little while :))

Thank you, Mr. Pelton. I will tough it out with my sore thumb for a week or so and see if my technique improves and the moving parts wear in. And we will go from there. I have heard nothing but praise for Lion Steel knives, but this first impression has been disappointing. Obviously, I liked the HEST design features or I would not have ordered the knife. I love my fixed blade version.

Horndog, LionSteel made both the prototypes for the DPx HEST/F and the ESEE folder. If you go back and read both my and Jeff's review on the knives and their quality they simply don't match your opinion. Yes the protos are hand made by Gianni's people but the production folders are much nicer. We had some hiccups with a few selected knives but as I keep saying not only do we want those knives back to inspect them we also want the customer to get the product they expect. I strongly disagree with your statement since the consensus is that Lion Steel is known throughout the industry as a company that makes both innovative and high quality knives. Ergo the interest of ESEE and myself wanting them to dedicate their somewhat limited output to make quality knives.

Again, your opinion on the knife doesn't really matter. You said you "hand inspected" all of the LE's before they went out, and even hand-tuned them. They were delivered with multiple QC problems. So... :confused:

Lee, you are just far enough off-topic that I am going to ask you to stop. This is not about RYP. We've had more than enough chance to discuss him. This is a review of one knife.

Lee, you are just far enough off-topic that I am going to ask you to stop. This is not about RYP. We've had more than enough chance to discuss him. This is a review of one knife.

You're right. Sorry you got a lemon, HD. You can probably resell it and get something you like more.

Kudos, Esav. Let's keep this on track. In fact, until Horn Dog has a chance to play with his new knife some more, I think we're done here. I'd sure appreciate an update later on, though.

Well since the maker and the designer have stepped up and offered advice and explanations for the stiff action, I will do my part and try to work it in. This ain't my first rodeo and I have had a few other knives that took a while to loosen up. But this one is definitely the hardest to open of the bunch. :D

BTW, I have drooled over the pictures I've seen of some of the other Lion Steel folders. But in this world of hype, it is hard to know the truth sometimes. I am going to Blade this year where I hope to handle some Lion Steel knives and see for myself how good they are.

"Thank you, Mr. Pelton. I will tough it out with my sore thumb for a week or so and see if my technique improves and the moving parts wear in. And we will go from there. I have heard nothing but praise for Lion Steel knives, but this first impression has been disappointing. Obviously, I liked the HEST design features or I would not have ordered the knife. I love my fixed blade version."

Its a heavy built, thick bladed "hard use" folder so its not going to have the same feel as some folders you mentioned. Either way use it for a week if you want and see how it seats.

You said it was "dull" that is the first time I have heard that. So as I mentioned we are happy to look at your knife and get you your money back or a knife that works the way you expect it to.

Samual, exactly what part of a knife review is your childish comment related to? :))

"Thank you, Mr. Pelton. I will tough it out with my sore thumb for a week or so and see if my technique improves and the moving parts wear in. And we will go from there. I have heard nothing but praise for Lion Steel knives, but this first impression has been disappointing. Obviously, I liked the HEST design features or I would not have ordered the knife. I love my fixed blade version."

Its a heavy built, thick bladed "hard use" folder so its not going to have the same feel as some folders you mentioned. Either way use it for a week if you want and see how it seats.

You said it was "dull" that is the first time I have heard that. So as I mentioned we are happy to look at your knife and get you your money back or a knife that works the way you expect it to.

It just needed deburring. A few stokes on the strop fixed it. I am working the blade back and forth now with both hands. Man that's a serious detent. I will follow up in a week and see how it goes. I tried keeping my fat fingers of the lock. I actually succeeded in opening it one-handed (I have used the included tool to loosen the pivot pin nut). But it has a long way to go before I can reliably one-hand open it with ease.

I read your reveiw & compared it to Cricket Dave's as well..... Thanks HD for your input on the folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back