Dual Survival

Just finished watching the first episode with Matt Graham. I got positive vibes. Matt imparts an energy to the show that was lacking with Cody. Like it or not Cody has been regulated to older wise man status. I am interested in seeing if the series works after a few episodes.

I believe I have the episode taped unless something went wrong. I should be checking it out soon.

I think I like Matt from what I saw on the show. He seems to be pretty much at home in the wild. I still see where the producers are trying to introduce drama but Matt appears to be able to navigate those waters :) I sure liked how Matt actually showed some actual survival techniques again. Matt described his shelter and the "why" to how he built it. Also his demo of a fire spindle showed a lot of detail to the process he uses. Joe once again though was "Joe" and showed himself as being a pawn to the fake drama. I don't hate Joe but he doesnt really bring anything to the series for me.

Matt seems legit, he seems like he's got a lot of skills and experience and enjoys trying to communicate and impart that knowledge. First episode in a long time where I learned something.

As usual Joe sucked, the guy is annoying and I'm tired of hearing him talk about everything using military vernacular. The water bottle is cracked so it's "compromised" blah blah blah. Everything comes back to where he comes from and his special forces stuff. He attacks animals like a madman because of his special forces training? That doesn't make any sense, shouldn't training like that make you just as calm and level headed in that situation as much (if not more) than the experienced hunter?

It's too bad, I like Matt, I just can't stand Joe.

I liked the show last night as well. Matt Graham impressed me as a smart, skillful, level-headed kind of guy. Anybody who is accurate with an atlatl impresses me. He respects the sacrifice of the animal but doesn't hesitate to kill, explains himself, and doesn't do this for the show, he really practices what he preaches. He was on the island three weeks before Joe arrived, and seemed at home. Looking forward to future episodes...

I liked the show, Matt was much better than expected and it kind of revitalized the show for me. Can anyone ID the knife Matt used?

There is a preview video on Discovery for those so inclined. The knife in question is briefly shown.

I really like Matt, he is in tune with nature; Joe is battling nature as usual.
What really bothered me was Joe's idiot reaction to killing the peccary. Matt had made the perfect shot and knew it, he wanted the animal to just die in peace.
G.I. Joe acted like a total asshole attacking the peccary with his spear, no respect at all for the animal. There is a difference between killing your enemy and being a hunter of wild game for food.
I'm waiting for show where mocho Joe screws around with the wrong snake and gets bit, instead of just leaving it alone.

Explain to me how anyone can be a full time "hunter/gatherer" in the modern world without also being a full time law breaking poacher? How many deer can you legally kill in Utah a year. Maybe 3 or 4 if you are lucky enough to draw special permits. Not enought to live year round off of or make all the clothing you will need.

Explain to me how anyone can be a full time "hunter/gatherer" in the modern world without also being a full time law breaking poacher? How many deer can you legally kill in Utah a year. Maybe 3 or 4 if you are lucky enough to draw special permits. Not enought to live year round off of or make all the clothing you will need.

Deer isn't the only game in town. ;)

And there are seasons on just about everything. In this state, if there is no hunting season you can nomrally consider it off limits.

I think that Matt's knife is a Condor Combat Machete, but not sure about the model name.
Best Regards

I really like Matt, he is in tune with nature; Joe is battling nature as usual.
What really bothered me was Joe's idiot reaction to killing the peccary. Matt had made the perfect shot and knew it, he wanted the animal to just die in peace.
G.I. Joe acted like a total asshole attacking the peccary with his spear, no respect at all for the animal. There is a difference between killing your enemy and being a hunter of wild game for food.
I'm waiting for show where mocho Joe screws around with the wrong snake and gets bit, instead of just leaving it alone.
What I took away from that scene was that Joe foolishly "compromised the mission" by foolishly getting close to a possibly dangerous dying animal. Matt had clearly put a solid hit on the animal and it was trapped in that location. The survival technique of patience was needed. Not blindly jumping in the water and stabbing another hunter's kill to glom on getting some credit for the kill. Joe talks about the kill like it was an enemy Ninja he took out. It was a trapped small pig with a spear stuck in it and under water. Joe needs to notch it down a bit and learn from his companions and stop with the over compensation for lack of skills.

What I took away from that scene was that Joe foolishly "compromised the mission" by foolishly getting close to a possibly dangerous dying animal. Matt had clearly put a solid hit on the animal and it was trapped in that location. The survival technique of patience was needed. Not blindly jumping in the water and stabbing another hunter's kill to glom on getting some credit for the kill. Joe talks about the kill like it was an enemy Ninja he took out. It was a trapped small pig with a spear stuck in it and under water. Joe needs to notch it down a bit and learn from his companions and stop with the over compensation for lack of skills.
Yep. He kinda spazzes out. Dude gonna have a heart attack.......

I think that Matt's knife is a Condor Combat Machete, but not sure about the model name.
Best Regards

It looked more of a leaf shaped blade though. I thought it may have been a homemade thing of some sort. Probably an effective tool as Matt seems to know what he's doing.

You do understand that he was following a script written by the show's writers, right?

You do understand that he was following a script written by the show's writers, right?

I think many understand that. In my life experience, the former special force types that I know are more like Matt and Cody than Joe. Joe seems wound pretty tight, but that may just be scripting, as you say.

I think many understand that. In my life experience, the former special force types that I know are more like Matt and Cody than Joe. Joe seems wound pretty tight, but that may just be scripting, as you say.

Zactly. He is playing a type-cast role and willing to perform stunts that IRL make no sense. The writers don't have a goal of realism, just drama and conflict to keep viewers returning. "A dollar makes me hollar!".

Back