Eating Apples with pocket knives?

Was just eating an apple... just curious, who eats an apple or other food with their pocket knives and why?

-Gideons

I tried this a few years ago as a goof but ended up liking it. It felt more natural to me to carve out the pieces as I ate rather biting the whole apple. I branched out and started cutting up more of my dinner on the job and made an Okapi my "lunchbox" knife. I like the patina side effect.
BD257665-_B16_E-47_C9-938_D-_CB819_CC5_C85_A.jpg

I don't cut up my apples. I just chop away with my teeth. I don't always remember what I used the blade for last and if I remembered to clean it. I don't/won't carry a knife exclusively for food prep unless I'm camping.

Apple always gets the pocket knife.

Have a front tooth that got busted out as a kid, and it's replaced with an appliance nowadays. Eating apples by the slice keeps me from prying into it with the dental work.

Nothing goes with the apple slice quite like a piece of Tillamook Sharp White Cheddar. Takes a knife to slice off a chunk.

Peeling an orange and grapefruit also gets the knife. I circumnavigate the peel with one slice, then turn it 180 and do it again. This leaves 4 sections or "quarter peels" that come right off.

Lastly, we have a local meat guy who makes the finest summer sausage I ever had. Slicing little wheels of it off is a snap with any of the pocket knives I use. Slice off another piece of cheese from the Tillamook baby loaf and your Ritz crackers have never been happier.

I use my carry knives to cut my dinner all the time.

I use them to cut anything from cheese and salami to pork chops and rotisserie chicken, knives as small as my peanut all the way up to fixed blades like my 119.
I have no need for steak knives when I've already got a razor sharp knife on me, they're just one more thing that needs to be kept sharp or clean so I don't have them.

I never liked biting into apples, found it awkward and didn't like the pressure on my teeth. I always use my pocket knife now. It gives me an excuse to use my knife, it gives me an excuse to eat an apple (helps the patina come along), and it makes the apples better to eat.

didnt use to. ate the core seeds everything but the stem.....and never understood when folks talked about cutting up an apple.......but broke two front teeth and have them filled and just easier than spending more money to fix them again. funny how gettin older changes things.

My technique is wrong or something because I usually draw blood when I slice an apple in hand.
Maybe my obsession with sharpening to the steels ultimate potential is the issue?

didnt use to. ate the core seeds everything but the stem.....and never understood when folks talked about cutting up an apple.......but broke two front teeth and have them filled and just easier than spending more money to fix them again. funny how gettin older changes things.

The seeds contain cyanide. A few apples worth is not enough to hurt you but from many apples it can. Also they are poison to animals

Back