Eating Apples with pocket knives?

who eats an apple or other food with their pocket knives and why?

No.
Never.

Well maybe once in a while.
IMG_4680.jpg

See how a hollow ground blade can screw up an apple slice ?
IMG_4535.JPG

Some times I bring in a team to break down an apple.
IMG_4060.JPG

Or I disect the apple core. I call it field stripping; get the stem out and the leaf like stuff in the navel but eat the seeds and the rest.
IMG_4274.jpg

My Little Monster shown above (Japanese high carbon White Paper steel) is the most fun to use on apples. He gets a fair amount of apple time.

And then there is my sure fire edge test : If I take the knife down the skin of an apple or a bell pepper or a tomatoe is the real test . . . and the edge bites I know the geometry is right . . . if the edge then sinks in under the weight of just the blade in that sickening lovely way THEN I know the edge is pretty much sharp enough. If it fails to catch or skips then the edge bevel is convexed and the edge isn’t the least bit sharp . . . one of the two or both. (well . . . rarely do I ever have a convexed edge unless it is a new knife that I haven’t reprofiled and given the rub rub on the Edge Pro.

IMG_3403.jpg

The REAL apple cutter is The Chef but she uses her Japanese fixed blade.
IMG_4757.jpg
IMG_1559.JPG
IMG_0873.JPG

The seeds contain cyanide. A few apples worth is not enough to hurt you but from many apples it can. Also they are poison to animals
eaten many of them...still here. also used to bite down on fishing weights made of lead as a kid cause i was taught that way. might explain a lot about whats wrong with me today.:)

Because dem tactical folders often got wide blades, which make them ideal to spread cheese or Nutella on fresh bread, and it's kinda cool doing this with a nicer knife :)
smeDpQm.jpg

Other food ?

Don't get me started. Lets just say I never go into the kitchen without my Holdout I . . . anything else is just too iffy.
IMG_4451.jpg

Why use a folder to cut up food ? You're kidding right ?
. . . well the food needs to be cut up . . . there is one knife or another that I want to fool around with . . .

IMG_4604.jpg

eaten many of them...still here. also used to bite down on fishing weights made of lead as a kid cause i was taught that way. might explain a lot about whats wrong with me today.:)
Yup, split shot.
Used to do the same thing, and have at least a pound in the tackle box still so I'll be doing it some more

I do, quite often. I've used various knives: SAKs; Case mini-trapper and medium stockman; Spyderco D4, E4, Military, PM2, Native 5; CRK Insingo (large and small) and Inkosi; BM axis TSEK.

Of the lot, I probably use my SAKs the most for the task, especially my Pioneer.

I don't get fruit juice or other food matter into the pivots, so that's never been a concern to me. You can avoid that with even a fairly small blade by the way it's used.

I "have to" eat my apples sliced. I don't like biting out pieces from fruit. It feels gross to me.

Jim

The seeds contain cyanide. A few apples worth is not enough to hurt you but from many apples it can. Also they are poison to animals
I eat apple seeds weekly (for like forty years now) and apples most every day that The Chef cuts up for me (she's a party pooper and leaves out the seeds).
What symptoms should I look for ?
I do have an addiction to watching old '50s Sci Fi B movies and can't get enough of them. Do you suppose this is a manifestation of my apple seed "problem" ?
. . . other than that . . . I was going to say I'm pretty normal . . . but you guys aren't going to buy that are you ?

I don't like biting out pieces from fruit. It feels gross to me.
not to mention squirty and drippy.
I've been known to eat a grape whole . . . but then that means passing up a chance to slice it in two with one of my knives.
I think grape halves are the way to go ;)

HAHA! Check my sig line

There's just something about being in the great outdoors while eating an apple sliced with a favorite pocketknife that brings me joy. It occurred to me one day that I've never been sad or had a bad day while doing so.

I don't cut up my apples. I just chop away with my teeth. I don't always remember what I used the blade for last and if I remembered to clean it. I don't/won't carry a knife exclusively for food prep unless I'm camping.

It was explained to me that if one licks the blade first and then wipes it under one's arm THEN it is sanitized and safe for use on the apple. :D :p :) :thumbsup:

HAHA! Check my sig line

There's just something about being in the great outdoors while eating an apple sliced with a favorite pocketknife that brings me joy. It occurred to me one day that I've never been sad or had a bad day while doing so.

Kind of : "The worst day of fishing is still better than a day at work" sort of bear.

I don't if I'm eating the apple by itself. My teeth are still good and biting into a nice, crisp apple and getting that tiny splash of juice is really nice.

I will, however, quite happily use my pocket knife to cut up an apple if combining it with cheese or peanut butter, as those combinations are quite delicious.

Was just eating an apple... just curious, who eats an apple or other food with their pocket knives and why?

-Gideons
Eating apples with pocket knives is one of my favorite things to do. I use the old thumb technique, not cutting it up beforehand, but just holding it, and cutting it as I go. This way, I can put whatever I don't finish back in the refrigerator. I use a more classic than tactical knife, something like a Opinel or Laguiole, preferably something with a long, slim blade.

My Grandfather used his knife for everything. Skinning a squirrel, cleaning out gunk on a lawnmower, cutting gum out of carpet, slicing a sandwich in half and even cutting up an apple. I can promise you he never cleaned it. The best it ever got was a wipe down on his pant leg. Because of him I am pretty much the same way! I eat an apple almost everyday and always use the knife in my pocket.

Apple always gets the pocket knife.

Have a front tooth that got busted out as a kid ...

Similar story here.

Lost my two front teeth in a boating accident when I was 13, and my replacements are porcelain. They work great, but the dentist told me to never eat an apple without cutting it again. So I haven't.

I keep a carbon Opinel #6 in my work bag. Having a separate knife for the food means that I don't have to worry about washing my EDC of tape gunk/etc before I eat.

I always dice and cut out the core/seeds. Sometimes I also peel the apple first. I then wipe the knife down and use it as a fork putting pieces of apple in my mouth.

VIQDzSR.jpg

Eating apples with pocket knives is one of my favorite things to do. I use the old thumb technique, not cutting it up beforehand, but just holding it, and cutting it as I go. This way, I can put whatever I don't finish back in the refrigerator. I use a more classic than tactical knife, something like a Opinel or Laguiole, preferably something with a long, slim blade.

Interesting, I tried the old thumb method, felt awkward especially when their was only half left and was just more efficient for me to just bite an apple lol

Back