Ed Fowler You Need to open your eyes

I am not a fan of Ed's columns, because I really don't believe that inanimate objects have "soul." However, in his recent article, which I read, I agree completely with this statement:

The bulk of the article was more about makers developing their own style and that style reflecting where the maker had come from instead of following trends.
Petty, bickering, dis-respectful, nit-picking attitudes displayed by forum members and displayed in this thread are why I have nearly quit logging into this forum.

We can all agree that Ed is from a school of makers that is not "trendy." :)

Ed just curios how you would quantify and qualify this Paragraph if in fact you have not seen any new makers?

Sacrificing Self

"Our new makers see what the collectors are buying, or appear to be seeking to buy. Some new makers seem to feel this is what they must make and, as a result, sacrifice their most precious potential contribution, individual creativity-what I like to call self. To duplicate the art knives of today that grace our literature a lot of skill that may or may not related to an honest working knife, which may discourage many newcomers. The maker may feel he must bow to authority and caress the traditions that have been established. The old guard judges the new and the new makers accepting their judgment become part of the flock. I wonder what our future will be like."

Hey Charlie if you read the article you can see that Ed is asking questions and a few of us "New Guys" are speaking up so if you think its "nit picking" by all means stay logged out.

Well if Ed was at the show and there was only one maker, then how can he honestly paint this picture of "The new guys making simple but honest working knives?

Ed may be talking about inspiration....but he also is making some other very broad statements.

Some times its not about the bulk of a article but maybe just 10% that sticks out to a reader.

I have to work be back later
Spencer

Well if Ed was at the show and there was only one maker, then how can he honestly paint this picture of "The new guys making simple but honest working knives?

It appears that Ed was referring to one show that he was at. Ed goes to lots of shows, including Blade. He has seen the work of hundreds of new makers.

I have yet to read this article and will hold off on any comments about it until I do.

It appears that Ed was referring to one show that he was at. Ed goes to lots of shows, including Blade. He has seen the work of hundreds of new makers.

I have yet to read this article and will hold off on any comments about it until I do.

He did in fact talk about the show that he was at, but it appears to me at least that he was talking about the state of the industry in general.

It's Ed's column. I think Ed should say whatever is on his mind...

It's up to each person to agree or disagree. However, (though I haven't read the article, just this thread), if Ed is encouraging, prodding and goading new makers to think for themselves, be more individual, make the work more person/meaningful, and use tools and materials that inspire the individual, instead of blindly following the tends and the mainstream... then I'm all in for of that! :)

I think Ed deserves a lot of credit for following his own path... And being very successful at it.

Last edited:
Perhaps Ed would be kind enough to post the text of the article here. Clearly, many have not read it.

Roger

Roger I sell First American Serial Rights to Blade, I would be violating my contract putting the article up on the form.

I read the article several times last night and again this morning before work.

For the life of me I can't see anything written in the article that could be considered a "slap in the face" by anyone........ Old Guy, New Guy, New Guy in training, or "wanna be" New Guy..... ;)

I personally do not care for the "art" or "fantasy" knives...... but that is a personal choice. I do however, see the skill and workmanship that goes into them and can truly appreciate them for that........ I just do not care to own one.

That is about my .02......... I am gonna' go home and read it again with the same open mind I did before and see if I have any different thoughts on the matter.

Either way......... good discussion. :thumbup:

as a new and young maker, i would have to say several things,
first off... i didnt read the article, but read al the posts, but i have had nothing but encouragment from the "old guys" here on the forum. contructive criticism is one of the best ways to improve. it is actual harder to get people to say "well.. you could improve this" rather than "good job!" you know?

also.. i think that one of the problems that i have as a young maker is time. i have very little of it to spwnd on knives.. i am going to school full time and working 30ish hours a week besides having a family and serious girlfreind. so when i make something, and finish it i have a really hard time destructivly testing it. i am trying to get better at that.. but without the criticism of people who have been there and done that.. i wouldnt know what is most beneficial in the long run.

ramble ramble ramble.. the bottom line is, i dont feel pushed down or anything but encouraged. I need the constructive criticism of "start with a good hard working knife.. and once you have mastered that.. go from there"

hope this helps
thanks
~chris

Chris from what I have seen of your work you have nothing to worry about.

thanks bil, but in a way.. iw ould much rather build something that sombody is never going to use than something smebody will use every day. they are just more appealing. and i think there needs to be a balance. i just wish i had more time to actually work on stuff.

anyway.. criticism is ALWAYS welcome.
thanks
~chris

When did " Some new makers" start meaning "All new makers"? Seems like Mountains out of Mole Hills to me.
Greg

I guess I could be considered a new maker compared to some, although it has been a lot of years since I was anywhere near new. My brother and I wanted to make Mr. Russell's event, but the timing just didn't allow it to happen.

I have read the article and nearly all of Ed's other articles too. I liked it. I don't necessarily agree with everything Ed writes but I enjoy reading it all. He has developed, over a life time, a unique way of approaching his "Lady Knife" that results in a tool that meets his expected needs. Growing up in a different part of the country, using knives almost daily, collecting knives for over 40 years and hunting different critters has given my brother and I a different set of requirements for our knives. Our designs and construction practices are based on those experiences, things we have decided that we like about knives, as well as things we learn from others. Ed is one of the teachers that make you think and evaluate the reasons for the designs and procedures you use. There are many teachers out there. Their words don't offend.

It seems to me after reading the article and Ed's response here, that he is mostly trying to stimulate thought and self-examination. I've seen that in many of Ed's posts and articles, kind of his version of the Socratic method.

Many of us who are "more experienced" in life try to pass on some of what we have learned the hard way to those younger than us so that they may surpass us with the time they save not having to learn those same lessons. (There's a good lesson on run-on sentences right there)

If Ed's article makes some new maker decide to be true to his own vision rather than chase his idea of what collectors want, and in the process, that maker not only gets more satisfaction from expressing himself rather than becoming a "hand-made knife factory", we all get an expanded variety of knives we may never have seen otherwise. Both the maker and the world are the better for it, without the maker having spent years before discovering his personal genius.

I'm very sorry for how hard this is to read, but I'm tired and don't have the time to work on it. My experience of Ed Fowler is that he is an old-fashioned gentleman and craftsman with very high standards for himself- not only in his knife making, but in his relationships with people. And, yeah, he's pretty much a romantic, but I have no doubt that his intentions were good.

Relax Spencer! :) Aint no one out to get ya! :)

It's up to each person to agree or disagree. However, (though I haven't read the article, just this thread), if Ed is encouraging, prodding and goading new makers to think for themselves, be more individual, make the work more person/meaningful, and use tools and materials that inspire the individual, instead of blindly following the tends and the mainstream... then I'm all in for of that! :)

I think Ed deserves a lot of credit for following his own path... And being very successful at it.

I second that Tai

Ed may be talking about inspiration....but he also is making some other very broad statements.

Some times its not about the bulk of a article but maybe just 10% that sticks out to a reader.

I have to work be back later
Spencer

Spencer, I doubt very much that your art of knife design has anything
to do with what you see in Ed's piece. He writes well and often expresses
his personal view of various knife related issues. HIS personal views...
Things that don't agree with someone's way of seeing things should not
be taken personally....

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

Tai I could not agree with you more, but as a paid subscriber to the magazine I felt the need to speak up and feel I have the right?

Now I will apologize ( sorry Ed) for the way I said it but not what I am trying to say. I am not even sure why I chose to bring this up, I usually err on the side of "Make no drama" and go about my business.

Its pretty tough to step up to the plate to defend ones ideas fulling knowing it would fly right back at my face and I would not hesitate to do it again just maybe in a different manner or media, with that no one wins a internet battle so it is pointless.

I let my wife read the article she is very oblivious to the knife world, she said "Great article except for the part about everyone selling out to build things they don't want to build and acting like sheep."

I will be the first maker to encourage any new maker to plan, construct and evaluate there own drum to beat period. In my eyes I see plenty of makers building good working knives for the Honest working men and not selling out to the art or factories

Spencer

'Where Are The New guys'

Like Ed said, they weren't at A.G.'s show. Most of the makers there were, or are somewhat connected to A.G. It was to honor his 75th birth day.

"Simple but honest working knives"

There is a place for these knives and many are being made, but from the very first knife, there has always been a need or desire to create more. The custom knife world would be a very small place, if we only made "simple working knives".

"...but as a paid subscriber to the magazine..."
Perhaps a letter to the editor would have been a little more appropriate. However, this discussion has been very interesting so far.
The title is a little inflammatory, as it could have easily been called 'Ed's article' or somesuch.

Last edited:
Back