EDC Passaround

Great review Essublime! Thanks for sharing. It does grow on you doesn't it. I wasn't sure when I made it but after using it for a couple days it start to feel really good. I left the edge a little thicker which is why it didn't go through cardboard real clean. I figured it would get some sharpening on the passaround so I wanted to leave a little extra there. Pm me some of your ideas when you get a chance.

It should be here today,can't wait to get my mits on it!
Don't worry about the fat edge Chris,I can thin it out on the 60 grit sander at work if needed.;)JK,JK relax.:D

Thanks for the opportunity Chris,I'm lookin' forward to giving it a go also.:cool:
I've got some rebar that needs cutting' & cement that needs broken up.
That should give it a good workout eh?And don't worry,I'll sharpen it on the belt sander at work afterwards.
It won't have that mirror polished edge for Joseph,but it'll saw through a bone if need-be.
Heh heh,just kidding y'all.;)
. . . . anyone live close enough to Chris to go check and make sure he got up off the floor ok after he read this . . . . :D :D
lmao . . .
Be safe.

We're gettin' funky in Seattle!:cool:
I got the box safe & sound at work this morning.Thanks for the secure packaging Eric.:thumbup: :)
Actually,it arrived at work in Seattle,but is at home with me just south of Seattle now,
so we're getting' funky in Burien!:D :cool:

Damn this thing is sharp!Same edge as my hunter..hair splittin'.
So far I've cut wood,rubber air hose,cardboard,synthetic banding material,(I don't know what it's made of,but it's some tough stuff) & arm hair.
Flawless performance so far & it just loves eating wood.
I did put a little ding in the edge while batoning through a 10-12" length of 2x8.(There was a screw in the chop saw table I didn't notice.:eek:)
It was a very small ding that disappeared after a few licks on a med diamond rod then a few more on a ceramic rod.It took hair off my arm after the rod licks don't worry.
No hand fatigue during use & I did some pretty heavy cross grain wood carving & heavy cardboard slicing.
I also let some coworkers handle it & they all liked how it felt in hand.
The thumb ramp(which gives it it's funk ;))is a natural rest for my thumb doing light to medium cutting,but for the heavy carving of wood I wrapped my thumb around the handle,as you would naturally,for the power cuts.
I can see it as a finger rest for some food prep too.

I'm not much of a cook,(most of my meals are cooked in the nuker or come in a paper bag :eek:)so I'll let another tester try it at food prepping.

I can't think of anything that needs changing,(but I still have a couple more days with it ;))it works fine for it's intended use,which is a tool for the cutting tasks you might run into on a daily basis.
Great little knife Chris,I call dibs if no one else has & you're willing to part with it.
Thanks for the opportunity to try out the Funky EDC.:thumbup: :)

You got dibs my man! After the passaround is over Ill clean it up. Im thinking about doing a Hunter or Kephart next since they seem to be one of the more popular ones. Hopefully I can get it in Januarys batch.

You got dibs my man! After the passaround is over Ill clean it up. Im thinking about doing a Hunter or Kephart next since they seem to be one of the more popular ones. Hopefully I can get it in Januarys batch.
Thank you Chris!I love the osage.

Anyone that didn't get in on this passaround,shouldn't pass on the next.
It is great to get to handle a knife before placing an order for one.
Thanks again Chris.

OK Joseph,the Funky EDC is in the mail.
I hope you like it & look forward to your thoughts on it too.

I thought it would be nice if everyone could see a comparison pic.
Hunter on the top,then the Skinner(thanks Joseph),then the Funky EDC and the EDC Nessie.
fd84270b.jpg

Merry Christmas all.:)

Good shot Mykel, which one you like best??????????????

Well,it's not the greatest pic,but I thought a comparison shot would be good.
The ones with the bigger handles are my favs.Both very different,but very comfortable.
The Skinner has sentimental value & the Hunter has the beautiful scales.
It's a tossup.

The Little Funky EDC is safe here in Connecticut,
Thanks Mykel!! The edge is sharp but I will give it
a quick stropping anyway, Edge is clean, No nicks or
dings as best as my tired old eyes can see. I will carry
and use it the next couple of days and get it out to
BrewcityMike on Friday or Saturday. I had no intention of
buying one because I have several EDC knives already but
after handling it, I may have to put one on order for February
or March along with a Hunter after seeing Mykes pics above.
Here are pictures I just took to show it's current condition.
DSCN0332.jpg

DSCN0331.jpg

DSCN0330.jpg

DSCN0328.jpg

And a comparison shot with the one and only KFU Kephart(So Far)
DSCN0335.jpg

DSCN0334.jpg

Thanks for this opportunity Chris!!!

It's good to see it made it ok Joseph.:thumbup:
Have fun with it.
That stain on the logo side has me concerned though.:confused:
It was just on the shinny part of the edge when I had it,but looks like it's spreading up to the logo despite the renwax I coated the blade with.
I didn't want to take it off with my scotch brite pad & remove any of the patina or scratch up the edge any more than I did with my diamond & ceramic rods.:eek:
I thought it was stained from something Eric had cut,but it looks like it's spreading,you better hit it with something & oil it after.Damn Renwax.

Myke,
I didn't notice the stain until I took the pics, My camera has a better eye than me, I did notice the nick in the blade after I stropped it but it is really small, It looks like there is another small nick about a 1/4 inch in front of the U in KFU but I can't feel it with my fingernail so it may be a visual abberation. I will coat it with Rem Oil before I send it out. In any case it gives Chris a good real use representation of his knives performance when they are actually used and not just admired as safe queens or on display shelves even though they are beautiful in my eyes. What attracted me to KFU knives was the fact that they were awesome looking but not so pretty that I would hesitate to use them. I've had too many knives that I just would not want to mess up so I sold them, Chris's knives are keepers!!

Good pics Joseph! Thats what its all about guys. Real world use. If its stained just hit it with some oil and 0000 steel wool or scotch brite. Its not a beauty queen! That will also show you what the finish does...probably nothing! I ac,tually have to removethe finish that way when I am making it. All my knives have had rust on them at some point. Im not real careful with the after use upkeep...until recently. Ive used everything for protection and for me plain old Mineral Oil works best. I think its because I cut food with my knives and with most lubes you have to wash off, cut, and reapply. Since I started using mineral oil I dont have issues anymore. I could have left the etchant on but when that happens usually it stains within a couple hours. Im blaming it on Mykel!!!;) Just kidding bro.

Cool beans,I'm glad you're not worried about it Chris.:)
It is made for users after all.:thumbup:
Being as it wasn't mine (yet), I didn't want to mess with it.

Good pics Joseph! Thats what its all about guys. Real world use. If its stained just hit it with some oil and 0000 steel wool or scotch brite. Its not a beauty queen! That will also show you what the finish does...probably nothing! I ac,tually have to removethe finish that way when I am making it. All my knives have had rust on them at some point. Im not real careful with the after use upkeep...until recently. Ive used everything for protection and for me plain old Mineral Oil works best. I think its because I cut food with my knives and with most lubes you have to wash off, cut, and reapply. Since I started using mineral oil I dont have issues anymore. I could have left the etchant on but when that happens usually it stains within a couple hours. Im blaming it on Mykel!!!;) Just kidding bro.

I was going to blame it on Mykel also in my final post on it.:eek::D

Back