EDC Passaround

HEY...why is everybody always picking on me? :confused: :rolleyes: ;)

[video=youtube_share;LJepDh5WxQQ]http://youtu.be/LJepDh5WxQQ[/video]

Brewcitymike should have it. He emailed me on New Years Day and told me that the knife was on the way to him and that I should expect it to be to me in 7-8 days.

Edit: this also reminds me that I need to get an address for where it goes after I get to try it out. I'll see if I can get ahold of whoever is after me on the list.

I cant wait to try out this funky edc.....barefoot. Ive got a nice review planned for it

He does have it. I got a PM from him today saying that he should be sending it to me tomorrow or Wednesday.

Well I just finished up my turn of the EDC pass around I have to say I was very impressed with the little knife and its quality. It wasn't used for anything too crazy. It cut two clotheslines, a ton of lengths of paracord and some climbing rope, It cup open a couple of packages that came in the mail and it chopped a couple carrots and cucumbers for a salad. I did finally on my last two nights with it try to make some feathersticks which I have'nt made in a couple years and it worked reat-but my skill was lacking:D In regards to the ergonomics, I thought it felt great in my hand and my hands are pretty large. I liked the smooth feel of the scales which I thought were possibly osage but could be wrong, I'll have to ask about that. I'm not entirely sure how they would have gripped in the rain or snow but when dry they were really nice. The only criticism I would have, is something that's inevitable when I use blades in the >3/16" thickness, my thumb starts to hurt when pushing forward to make the feathersticks. The thinner blades leave a nice indent line in my thumb but oh well.
All in all a great little knife with good capabilities and lots of potential. I'm sure even the guys who beat the lil guy up will say the same:) I really hope I can be included in any future pass around of yours cuz it will be great to experience 1st hand your work evolving. Thanks for the opportunity, it was fun. Keep up the good work

Nice review brewcitymike. Yes I believe they were osage scales. Personally I liked the blade thickness; it felt right. Generous of Chris to do this passaround & look forward to more in the future as well.

The knife showed up in my mailbox yesterday and I quickly put it to work. It was it need of a good sharpening when I got it, but I used it quite a bit first and just finished sharpening it up. There still seems to be a few chips in the edge tho, so I'll see if I can get rid of them before I send it off to the next person hopefully on Tuesday. My initial impressions are that this thing feels nice in my hand. I used it for a few hours last night separating and cutting up partially frozen chunks of deer and pork while making sausage last night. My hands never got any hot spots and didn't get tired. Even tho, the edge was pretty dull and had some chips in it when it showed up, it still cut quite well. I should also say that while talking with brewcitymike in pm's he wasn't sure if he would be able to sharpen it and I told him not to worry about it and that I would go ahead and take care of getting it nice and sharp again.

Guys, if you need it sharpened just send it back to me and Ill sharpen it up.

It wasnt any problem having to sharpen it Chris. I don't mind doing it and kinda actually enjoy it. I have it shaving arm hair pretty easily again and it is pretty much a mirror polish on the edge again. I used sandpaper over my strop up to 2000 grit and then stropped with green Bark River compound.

Good deal, thanks! Let me know how you like it. I made one for Essublime but added a little guard on it.
006-4.jpg

I wanted to post this yesterday morning when I got home from work, but I blew a hose on the truck I drive and was stranded on the side of the interstate and then in the parking lot of a Kenworth dealer Tuesday night. I ended up scrounging up a few tools and replacing the hose myself in 0 degree weather and the darn thing was a huge pain to get to and took em over three hours. I ended up getting home just in time to shower and then sleep eight hours and get ready for work again Fun times for sure.

Anyways, the funky edc showed up last Friday as I was getting ready to go to my brothers and make deer sausage. It was in need of some sharpening, which I was aware of and happy to do. I put it on my belt before I even left home and took it with me to make sausage. I used it a lot that night. We had partially frozen deer and pork that needed to be pried apart and then cut into chunks small enough to fit in the grinder. It had no problems doing anything I asked of it. The ramp was nice while I was cutting the meat into pieces. The handle was very comfortable the whole time I was using it and didn't develop any hot spots. I think the meat actually added a little more patina to some spots on the blade that night.

I washed it up really well the next day and stupid me, I dropped it in the sink and did end up blunting the tip a tiny bit. I hadn't sharpened it yet and figured that sharpening it would fix it and it did for the most part. For sharpening I started with some 180 grit sandpaper over a leather strop and worked my way up to 2000 grit. After that I stropped it with green Bark River compound and then Mothers mag and aluminum polish and brought out a pretty nice hair popping polished edge. I actully did get it to start whittling a hair once too!! Overall it sharpened up pretty easily and really took a nice edge. I've really came to like 1095 for these reasons.

I had to work Sat, Sun, and Mon nights, so I couldn't carry it on me when in the post offices, but I did take it with me in the truck and used it a few times for small things. At home I used it for normal boring knife needs like breaking down a pizza box to fit in the garbage and cutting some paracord for new boot laces.

Overall, the knife is very useful. The handle is comfortable and the convex edge cuts great. I think the thumb ramp can be useful and adds some uniqueness to the "funky edc". It was easy to get the knife back into the sheath on my belt and the sheath fit the knife very well too. My sister-in-law and mother both commented on how they like the leaves engraved on it and I agree that it does look pretty nice.

I touched up the edge and shipped the knife off to 1066vik on Tuesday afternoon and emailed him the DC. I haven't checked the DC since I shipped it, but I would think he should have it today or tomorrow.

Chris, thanks for giving everyone the opportunity to everyone to try out this knife. It gives everyone to get a taste of your style and lets them know what they can expect in a knife from you. I like the addition of the guard on the knife you made for Essublime think it was a good idea and looks good. I meant to get some pictures of the knife being used the night I got it, but I just plain forgot to.

Nice review Matt! Can't wait until that Funky thing shows up here!

I use to drive for NAPA Auto Parts. We did the nightly stocking of the stores from a distribution center. I had a few of those break downs that left me stranded in the middle of nowhere...or worse...in the middle of a bad part of town...kinda spooky when everyone you see driving/walking by have dollar signs in their eyes looking a truck full of new auto parts!

funky EDC showed up today.
first impressions:
Man! that's a nice sheath!
your handles have improved a lot over the past year
thumb ramp looks funny, but fits well and should help with a variety of cutting/whittling chores.

The one thing I might change if it was mine would be to possibly take down the sharp corners on the ramp. (I'd leave the rest of the spine square though)
I'll post more in a day or 2 once I've had a chance to put it through some paces.
thanks for the opportunity to try it out!

Glad you got it Vik! Its almost over...I need to make another one to passaround.

OK, it's been the week from hell, but I've been pretty impressed with this little guy.
ac700 put a good edge on it - and edge retention is good.
sliced through cooked dead pig perfectly. :)
made a fuzz stick with no problems - good geometry for that and the cut surfaces on the wood looked smooth as glass, no tearout of the wood fibers -- which is part of how I know it's sharp.
slices cardboard, paper, etc...
I'd still knock down the sharp corners on the thumb ramp to avoid hot spots in prolonged use, but that's just personal preference & how I hold a knife.
I let a couple of friends handle it and they were impressed as well - once they got over the "that sure looks funny" thing. :D

am I right in thinking Clich is next?
if yes, I'll try to get this in the mail tomorrow, if not, then I need an address for the next contestant on "The Knife is Right". ;)

Back