EDC Pens

Does anyone have a recommendation for a pen that is bomb proof in your pocket? I have stopped carrying pens in my pocket because they leak/explode and wreck a good pair of pants.

Same thing happened to me when I carried my Karas Kustoms Retrakt clicky pen. I was using a capless rollerball refill at the time (a pretty wet refill). The click mechanism got pressed while clipped onto my pants pocket, and next thing I know my friend was asking about the ink stain showing on my pants. I still love the pen, but I don't carry it in my pants pocket anymore. I've had a lot more luck with screw cap types and bolt actions.

I would recommend the Karas Kustoms Render K, or the Brian Fellhoelter TiBolt. Both of them are very sturdy and well made. If you're really worried about ink stains, I would run a ballpoint refill instead of gel or rollerball, although I run rollerballs in both and have not had issues. Both have many refill options available. The Render K is amazing for the price, but I find myself reaching for the TiBolt a little more often; I really like playing with the bolt mechanism when I'm not writing.

A Toronado Retro SS 551. Stylish, retro, indestructible & only about $22. Ballpoint or rollerball. Only con is that it won't take Fisher refills. I also bought one in a black finish it cost a bit more. About $25. Very nice.

Same thing happened to me when I carried my Karas Kustoms Retrakt clicky pen. I was using a capless rollerball refill at the time (a pretty wet refill). The click mechanism got pressed while clipped onto my pants pocket, and next thing I know my friend was asking about the ink stain showing on my pants. I still love the pen, but I don't carry it in my pants pocket anymore. I've had a lot more luck with screw cap types and bolt actions.
To be fair, that seems like a risk you would run with any clicky pen using a water/gel based cartridge, not just the Retrakt.

I too have a titanium Tuff Writer. Actually, I was sent the first ever completed titanium Tuff Writer clicky pen from the Kickstarter project months ago.

It's in here somewhere.
BpPup3ACMAAG8C5.jpg:large

Is that your wallet under your keys.? If it is, what is it called. That thing looks wicked cool. Thanks

To be fair, that seems like a risk you would run with any clicky pen using a water/gel based cartridge, not just the Retrakt.

Agreed. The Retrakt is still one of my favourite pens. I just don't think I'll carry it in my pants pocket anymore.

Is that your wallet under your keys.? If it is, what is it called. That thing looks wicked cool. Thanks

Yep. Titanium wallet. It's called an Omega by Fireti. I just realized that the wallet, pen and carabiner (a one piece titanium) were all projects funded by Kickstarter. :D

What can I say? I was on a titanium fix.

Yep. Titanium wallet. It's called an Omega by Fireti. I just realized that the wallet, pen and carabiner (a one piece titanium) were all projects funded by Kickstarter. :D

What can I say? I was on a titanium fix.
Have you seen the Tactile Turn Mover and Shaker pens? Another Kickstarter project... I just put in a pledge for one in brass and one in bronze.

My edc pen for the last few months has been the TiPen by tactical keychains. I added a cheap clip to the pen since one is not offered. The pen takes multiple different refills and has a pen cap that screws on and is magnetic. I carried a Hinderer investigator for about a year and this trumps that pen for comfort-ability and versatility with multiple options for refills.

i-SvVPnQP-XL.jpg

Nock Co. Lookout case loaded with a Noodler's Ahab, Lamy Safari, and Karas Kustoms Brass Bolt.

uploadfromtaptalk1408821981855.jpg

I've been carrying this telescoping Fisher pen for almost a year. I like it. Very small in pocket, open it up, it's about 5". Closed, just under 4"

§ David §[/QUOTE

Another vote fot the telescoping space pen. I've had mine for 5 years and carry it every day and everywhere.
It's nice and light but takes abuse (keys, change, knives) better than any other fisher finish. The aluminum shines up and gets a nice character going.

I carry a black stowaway (fisher space pen), it's 4in closed and 5.1in open and it's barely larger than the fisher refill. And now days you can refill the pen with a new cartridge, in the past you weren't able to from what I hear. One of the smallest pens that is worth carrying in my opinion from when I was looking for a pen to EDC with the primary concern I had was it being small enough to not notice but large enough to be of actual use when I needed it.

Beyond that sometimes the Zebra F-301 I converted to take the fisher space pen refill sometimes finds it's way in my pocket when I'm at school.

Late 1950's Parker Jotter ballpoint, bought at the Chicago Pen Show years and years ago for all of $5. (It's in a color of sea-green no longer made and has the cap with the round-top button.) Looks like the one on the left:

ParkerJotter_1955-57.JPG

Refill is Schneider's Slider 755 XB (extra bold), in black and blue. (The gas-pressurized refills in the Space Pen have weak, pale ink in my view.)

Nothing at all tacticool about the Jotter, but I've been using it for about 15 years now and it has never failed. The Schneider refills are a relatively new adoption, brought on because the Parker refills have ink that's too weak, even in the broad size.

Your mileage may vary....

I highly recommend the Shcon Design pen made from 6061 Aluminum. I didn't buy it myself, but used my access toa machine shop to make my own version. It uses the Fisher Space Pen refill and is drop dead tough.

pp6ACg

https://flic.kr/p/pp6ACg

For a small pocket pen, Fisher Titanium Bullet. For my bag, Zebra F-701 with Fisher Refill mod. For the desk at home and office (these often disappear) Uni-Ball Jetstream 1.0.

Man, I love the overlap between knife and pen enthusiasts. As far as tactical, I carry a solid copper Hinderer Extreme Duty with a fine Fisher Space Pen refill. I put O - rings in the grip grooves to improve comfort. It weighs about a quarter pound and will punch a hole through just about anything. I'm confident that one good hammer fist holding that pen would be a game changer. I've tried many lighter, pointier defense pens, but nothing really compares to the heft and impact of the copper Exteme Duty.

As far as writing preferences, I vastly prefer fountain pens. My favorite is my Lamy 2000.

Back