EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

Knives&Lint

Wayfaring Stranger
Platinum Member
Friday morning carry. I've got some projects around the pad to take care of, and I'm looking forward to trying out the new Wera "Zyklop Pocket" ratchet/bit-driver combo that I just got in this week. I'm pretty worn out, as I logged 35+ miles in the past 3 days on various hikes. I'll be getting the pics up from those outings throughout the day as I go through them. Here's to a great weekend ahead for all 🍻

cdFdyRk.jpg

3NHRVDS.jpg

ChazzyP

Platinum Member
Nice knife and a great pic. I've found it not that easy to photograph Damascus and get the light just right so it doesn't flash some of the pattern. Is that a 21 with Devin Thomas or a 31 with Chad Nichols? Boomerang? The pattern is a bit unusual if so and really sweet.

I've always thought that PJ slabs show off Dama the best, not distracting at all from the blade. Here's my 31...

1665163945506.png

Knives&Lint

Wayfaring Stranger
Platinum Member
On Tuesday I headed out to what is probably my most frequently visited spot for a hike. It's to a creek, then a set of big waterfalls above, and then a lake even further up. Most stop at the creek, but if you go beyond it becomes much more isolated. I always go on to the falls, and can rarely resist the lake.

On this outing I actually had the closest bear encounter I've had yet. I was on my way out, the sun had dipped behind the mountains but it was still daylight. On my return trip back through the creek that is in my first pics, I knelt down to splash some water in my face. Nobody else was there, and I had the whole place to myself almost the entire day. I see something above me, and think to myself "oh, there must be someone else here after all, just visiting the creek, with their dog". Well, turns out it was no dog, but a BIG mama bear and a cub, crossing the creek. They were only about 15 yards or so away. She wasn't aggressive, or even defensive, just crossed the creek and disappeared into the woods beyond. I expected to be freaked out and have an adrenaline dump, but to the contrary, it was actually quite a serene experience. Nonetheless, I knew it was time to get back to the Jeep, and get the F outta Dodge.

The creek

T4pWlAU.jpg

n6hsEk7.jpg

The Falls

K2NkBPx.jpg

gy562IS.jpg

m1uRfjx.jpg

And finally, the lake, with quite a few miles and plenty of elevation gain in between the three. I stayed around the lake for over two hours, had my first meal of the day, went for a cold plunge in the icy water, and explored the entire place surrounding the lake (including a smaller lake above).

aPKGcwm.jpg

aJFY72K.jpg

bzHV8pv.jpg

lz4ZbsB.jpg

BKqen3K.jpg

9S8ojqu.jpg

0iTuhxU.jpg

GSvAZnp.jpg

VlenDnM.jpg

bigolegator

Gold Member
Friday morning carry. I've got some projects around the pad to take care of, and I'm looking forward to trying out the new Wera "Zyklop Pocket" ratchet/bit-driver combo that I just got in this week. I'm pretty worn out, as I logged 35+ miles in the past 3 days on various hikes. I'll be getting the pics up from those outings throughout the day as I go through them. Here's to a great weekend ahead for all 🍻

cdFdyRk.jpg

3NHRVDS.jpg
Geez 35+ miles with your busted hip, bad back and knees…Yep I’ve got to block you now 😁👍🏼

bigolegator

Gold Member
On Tuesday I headed out to what is probably my most frequently visited spot for a hike. It's to a creek, then a set of big waterfalls above, and then a lake even further up. Most stop at the creek, but if you go beyond it becomes much more isolated. I always go on to the falls, and can rarely resist the lake.

On this outing I actually had the closest bear encounter I've had yet. I was on my way out, the sun had dipped behind the mountains but it was still daylight. On my return trip back through the creek that is in my first pics, I knelt down to splash some water in my face. Nobody else was there, and I had the whole place to myself almost the entire day. I see something above me, and think to myself "oh, there must be someone else here after all, just visiting the creek, with their dog". Well, turns out it was no dog, but a BIG mama bear and a cub, crossing the creek. They were only about 15 yards or so away. She wasn't aggressive, or even defensive, just crossed the creek and disappeared into the woods beyond. I expected to be freaked out and have an adrenaline dump, but to the contrary, it was actually quite a serene experience. Nonetheless, I knew it was time to get back to the Jeep, and get the F outta Dodge.

The creek

T4pWlAU.jpg

n6hsEk7.jpg

The Falls

K2NkBPx.jpg

gy562IS.jpg

m1uRfjx.jpg

And finally, the lake, with quite a few miles and plenty of elevation gain in between the three. I stayed around the lake for over two hours, had my first meal of the day, went for a cold plunge in the icy water, and explored the entire place surrounding the lake (including a smaller lake above).

aPKGcwm.jpg

aJFY72K.jpg

bzHV8pv.jpg

lz4ZbsB.jpg

BKqen3K.jpg

9S8ojqu.jpg

0iTuhxU.jpg

GSvAZnp.jpg

VlenDnM.jpg
You’re lucky…maybe next time 10mm or .44 mag ?!?!

bigolegator

Gold Member
Nice knife and a great pic. I've found it not that easy to photograph Damascus and get the light just right so it doesn't flash some of the pattern. Is that a 21 with Devin Thomas or a 31 with Chad Nichols? Boomerang? The pattern is a bit unusual if so and really sweet.

I've always thought that PJ slabs show off Dama the best, not distracting at all from the blade. Here's my 31...

View attachment 1951531
You lost me… “photograph Damascus and get the light just right so it doesn't flash”….🤨🙄

Knives&Lint

Wayfaring Stranger
Platinum Member
Geez 35+ miles with your busted hip, bad back and knees…Yep I’ve got to block you now 😁👍🏼
HAHA! 🤣
Yea, the knees are definitely screemin' today. The hip is from a car crash a couple decades ago and it picks and chooses when to act up. Truth be told, the reason I keep pushing like this is because I'm afraid if I stop I won't be able to get back going again 🤣
You’re lucky…maybe next time 10mm or .44 mag ?!?!

You know as a fellow Florida boy I always keep something handy ;)

Aside from that, this was actually the first time I carried spray. So far though, they've wanted nothing to do with me. Another time I saw one and it barely looked up from the berry bush it was eating. This one seemed as if it was just crossing the creek and I happened to be there. Still, I didn't think it a good idea to stick around and find out. Cold weather is coming and I'd imagine they're looking for some calories while they can get it. Perhaps she could tell I was all Florida gristle and was waiting for a plump Northwesterner to come along 🤣

bigolegator

Gold Member
HAHA! 🤣
Yea, the knees are definitely screemin' today. The hip is from a car crash a couple decades ago and it picks and chooses when to act up. Truth be told, the reason I keep pushing like this is because I'm afraid if I stop I won't be able to get back going again 🤣

You know as a fellow Florida boy I always keep something handy ;)

Aside from that, this was actually the first time I carried spray. So far though, they've wanted nothing to do with me. Another time I saw one and it barely looked up from the berry bush it was eating. This one seemed as if it was just crossing the creek and I happened to be there. Still, I didn't think it a good idea to stick around and find out. Cold weather is coming and I'd imagine they're looking for some calories while they can get it. Perhaps she could tell I was all Florida gristle and was waiting for a plump Northwesterner to come along 🤣
Hell you could probably still outrun the bear anyway 💪🏼👍🏼

badmatt

Gold Member

View attachment 1951531
This one is a fresh Large 31 in Chad Nichols Boomerang.

But here's my L21 in Devin Thomas Ladder!

rEw7HBK.jpg

Knives&Lint

Wayfaring Stranger
Platinum Member
Wednesday I headed out towards Rainier, to an Alpine Lake in a spot I've never been before. This place was absolutely stunning.

It starts out as a fairly steep climb through forest, with the occasional break where you can get a glimpse of Rainier.

wtMiFnl.jpg

Then, all of a sudden it opens up, and you are treated to a delight for your eyes.

LGo1pVr.jpg

As beautiful as it is, it's hard to pick up the scale of the surroundings in pictures

jTKbAxF.jpg

QkY8abv.jpg

This guy wasn't sure of what to make of me or if I could be trusted, but he was certain that if he remained perfectly still I'd never notice him there

tnL6qfS.jpg

fnzmH2x.jpg

tYmVMIq.jpg

By now it was around noon, so I decided to enjoy breakfast by the lake, and then head up higher,through the pass where you can get a view of the lake with Rainier in the background.

ECsOUSt.jpg

mPDHNEJ.jpg

fe2UIFJ.jpg

IDtVEpd.jpg

WOW...Just WOW. Well worth the extra trek.

R1gBPrd.jpg

QHhXyW1.jpg

ChazzyP

Platinum Member
You lost me… “photograph Damascus and get the light just right so it doesn't flash”….🤨🙄
Well, in case you're not just bustin' my cojones, B, like you usually are... 😏 ...what I meant is that it's tough to get the angle right to show the contrast in the etch without the lighter sections over-reflecting and making the whole blade or parts thereof look washed out. That's just me, though.... :rolleyes:

bigolegator

Gold Member
Well, in case you're not just bustin' my cojones, B, like you usually are... 😏 ...what I meant is that it's tough to get the angle right to show the contrast in the etch without the lighter sections over-reflecting and making the whole blade or parts thereof look washed out. That's just me, though.... :rolleyes:
Well not this time old Friend…I was trying to picture your meaning regarding the blade and didn’t know if you were being serious or not 😁👍🏼