Edgepro Apex = OMG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just click edit.

Hi singularity,

I had already tried the edit button, but I cannot make it work.

Once I press Edit, if I press Cancel, the message is not removed and I don't see which other button is the one that deletes the message.

Thanks!

Question for you Edge Pro guys,can you sharpen something as large as a Busse FFBM on the Edge Pro system?

anyone have more pictures of knives done on ep's?

delica001.jpg

FFG Delica.

misc002.jpg

Military.

IMG_8194.jpg

Cold Steel Recon 1.

Question for you Edge Pro guys,can you sharpen something as large as a Busse FFBM on the Edge Pro system?

You can quickly and effectively sharpen not only a large Busse, you can sharpen lawn mower blades, machetes, scythes, broadswords, Claymore blades, just about any length blade you can find. EdgePro's design is a little short for very WIDE blades such as double bitted axes and guillotine blades but length is no problem.

Stitchawl

i have a question for you EP owners -

how steep of an angle can you create? i know it stops showing marks, early, but have read you can still use more of the bar that isn't marked. i don't like thin edges, on my Lansky i do 30* each side, for most knives. the lowest i go is 25* each side on my Nimravus. i would be buying the EP to sharpen longer blades like my Rodent and other zombie choppers, so i would want steep/sturdy/swing at a tree angles. can those be accomplished with the EP?

thanx for the info

i have a question for you EP owners -

how steep of an angle can you create? i know it stops showing marks, early, but have read you can still use more of the bar that isn't marked. i don't like thin edges, on my Lansky i do 30* each side, for most knives. the lowest i go is 25* each side on my Nimravus. i would be buying the EP to sharpen longer blades like my Rodent and other zombie choppers, so i would want steep/sturdy/swing at a tree angles. can those be accomplished with the EP?

thanx for the info

You can move the stone arm just about to the top of the rod. I'm not sure what the numbers are for that angle, but it's a lot steeper than I'd use for an ax... and if you really wanted even steeper, you could just use a longer rod from a DIY shop.

Stitchawl

You can move the stone arm just about to the top of the rod. I'm not sure what the numbers are for that angle, but it's a lot steeper than I'd use for an ax... and if you really wanted even steeper, you could just use a longer rod from a DIY shop.

Stitchawl

cool, thanx. i plan on owning one of these 12/25/10 :D

cool, thanx. i plan on owning one of these 12/25/10 :D

Santa sez: "Be a good little boy and don't wait for Christmas. I'm very busy ever since the elves unionized, PETA has organized the reindeer into striking for fewer working hours, and Mrs.Claus is demanding a trip to the Bahamas this winter. Buy the EdgePro now!!!" :thumbup:

Stitchawl

Thank you for answering my question stitchawl.My biggest concern was'nt the length or width of the blade,but the thickness of it.She's a fat one!

Thank you for answering my question stitchawl.My biggest concern was'nt the length or width of the blade,but the thickness of it.She's a fat one!

Thickness is absolutely NO PROBLEM, Grim. The EdgePro will handle that just fine! In fact, I've used my EP to knock the edges off of a 1" thick block of brass. I need to have a uniform edge on all four sides and the EdgePro did it for me.

Stitchawl

I don't doubt that a guide system like the Edgepro can have superior results but I wouldn't want one. I enjoy sharpening freehand.

Thanks again stitchawl,that was all I needed to hear to pull the trigger on an Apex.I'm used to sharpening freehand,but my wrists are getting old and the FFBM was to much of a (literal)pain.

You can quickly and effectively sharpen not only a large Busse, you can sharpen lawn mower blades...

Stitchawl

Have you ever done a mower blade yourself? I used a bastard file on mine last week and it took me damn near an hour all in. I'm wondering at what angle to do the mower blade on my EP?

Have you ever done a mower blade yourself?

Nope. I live in a box on the 6th floor of a cement jungle. The only green I see is the cooking herb garden on my veranda.

I have done machetes, parangs, and one old cavalry saber though. The saber worked great on my parsley. :D

Stitchawl

Here's a pic I did of my Izula on the Edge Pro Professional.

p1000300g.jpg

Bit hard to get a photo of it unfortunately, screaming sharp. Hairs just fall of as soon as it gets near them.

Here's a pic I did of my Izula on the Edge Pro Professional.

p1000300g.jpg

Bit hard to get a photo of it unfortunately, screaming sharp. Hairs just fall of as soon as it gets near them.

Looks good! Seems as though you're having the same problem I am.

Well,me my Edge Pro#4 came via UPS today and man am I stoked!I assembled it and read the manual,now I'll watch the tape.I'm wondering about the part of moving the blade back and forth across the guide though.Guess I'll find out in the tape.I'm going to start out on my FFBM,as it states that large blades are easier to learn with,well,that's a bigun.

I have an Edge Pro Apex that I received for Christmas two years ago. Only used it a few times and never really got the hang of getting a sharp edge. Dug it out last night and went to work on a crappy Wustoff untility knife. Started with the 220 and ended up on the 600. Very nice even edge but it still would not shave hair. I did make sure I created a burr on each side.

After I worked on the blade with the 600 for a while I gave up and moved on to my Sharpmaker. About 15 passes on the flat fine stones and it was shaving hair. Any tips on getting to at least shaving sharp on the 600 grit stones using the Edge Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back