Elusive Schrades

Cal that stamp was used from 1940-1968. I'm not aware of any Schrade Walden hunters made with bone, are you? The only ones I've ever seen have the black stagged handles. I have seen the Cut Co models with bone handles though:

Schrade Cut Co Folding Hunter.jpg

That's a nice example you have there. It's hard to find any of the bone versions with full blades. Those knives were usually used hard!

Eric

I expect that is about as close as you are going to pin it down Cal, a late Schrade Cut. Co. (1940-46) or early Schrade Walden (1946-?) made for Belknap (Primble).
Cannot be newer than 1968 and I doubt it being that new.
Eric made some good points about it. 😊

Last edited:
In most of the last century, Schrade developed a reputation for inexpensive but very serviceable pocket knives. Many great American cutleries didn't survive the 1930s. The ones that did, and then got a share of military contracts in the early 1940s did very well indeed. Camillus, Case, Schrade, Kabar(Union) come to mind.
Throughout the ups and downs of the industry, pride of workmanship, and competition for the consumers' money resulted in some beautiful products, and some interesting experiments in design.
I consider the knives presented here a step or two above the "serviceable design" designation, and being fairly rare, wonder if they were great expressions of the cutlers' art, but too expensive to sell well.
I like the way the bone jigging on the 2 3/4" serpentine pen was scaled to the knife, and I have a particular weakness for single backspring large knives, like the 4" 2-blade stockman, and the Hawbaker. The 3 9/16" (mini-moose?) double end jack is just plain exquisite.
I feel privileged and humbled to have these, and hope you enjoy seeing them.
scwR1.jpg

scwR1pile.jpg
I like this old group pic I did back in 2009!! Primble brought it back to me with an archival "Love" comment!!

Charlie.................. just amazing!

Wonderful Group shots of stunning Knives, I love that last group where you have the Spear and The Clip Point of each of the Saw Cut and the Peach Seed!

Exposing myself as one who doesn't pay attention, the S. C. Co stamp, and the SCHRADE CUT Co WALDEN stamp - is there a significant era difference between Schrades Cut Co's existence time line? The obvious different Bolster Stamps as well- is the S.C.Co the earlier example?

I like this old group pic I did back in 2009!! Primble brought it back to me with an archival "Love" comment!!
Ha ha - I clicked on page one by mistake and saw those and loved them all over again Charlie ! :thumbsup:🤣
On the bright side, since few people start on page 1, you can start all over again with your fine examples, without buying or trading for a single new old knife ! 😲🤣

Back