1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Embarrassing knife stories?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Randanator, Oct 14, 2018.

1. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I embarrassed myself while driving shortly after buying a CRKT folding Razel. I just bought it and I wanted to cut some store packaging while I was driving. I wasn't used to having multiple sharp edges and cut myself pretty good. I learned that you simply don't "play" with knives while driving, period.

Smaug, Bluerocker, Sonnydaze and 2 others like this.
  2. mt666tm

mt666tm

Nov 20, 2012
    I used my t-shirt to wipe down my knife after using it at a BBQ... blade edge was facing in like a dumbass and I sliced a hole in my shirt, which I had to wear for the rest of the night. At least it was sharp, unlike some people here, lol!

3. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    You were gunna wear a shirt with a bunch of bbq grease on it?

[​IMG]

4. wazu013

wazu013 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2011
    It is a well made knife. It double locks on close and snaps like a gator. Plus it gives me another knife story to tell ;)

bemymonkey and Sonnydaze like this.
  5. danthaman1980

danthaman1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 23, 2014
    About 10 weeks ago, I'm getting ready to go to a family event - and I'm getting dressed and making my obligatory knife selection (which obviously involves handling and opening/closing several knives before making a final selection). After flipping open one or two, I come to the BM North Fork. I grab it in my right hand, push on the thumb stud with a little wrist action to flip it open, and the half-open knife slips out of my hand. Without time to think, I just reacted. My left hand reached down to catch the falling knife. And I caught the tip in the palm of my hand. OUCH! (That isn't the actual word I said). Blood is dripping everywhere, I look down, and I have a 3/8" long stab wound in my palm. Worst part, this is one of the few knives I've prevously sent out for a mirror edge. At least the cut was clean!!!
    Stopped the bleeding within a few minutes, made sure all my fingers still worked, and cleaned up the area. Fortunately, no blood on the carpet. And of course, I still have to go to the family event. Butterfly bandage, another band-aid over that, and off we go.

Several days later, about the time the flesh is mostly healed up, I realize it must have gone deep enough to nick a tendon, because my hand would get SORE when I tried to extend my arm out all the way. CRAP! Well, it took about 6-7 weeks but the tendon must have finally healed because it doesn't hurt when I stretch that tendon out anymore. But it was touch and go there for a while!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  6. Night Rider

Night Rider Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2018
    I just bought a ZT 0462 Sinkevich at an outdoor store today and wile inspecting the centering and testing the flickability I sliced the tip of my thumb wile closing it one handed causing me to drip blood all over the display case. The 250 pound counter clerk handed me some tissues then turned pale as a ghost wile explaining to me that he cant stand the sight of blood LOL. He then told me that at least 4 or 5 people a week cut themselves and that his boss who knows of his blood phobia and has a sick sense of humor puts him on that counter on the weekends due to the increased chance of him seeing blood.

7. Jesse B.

Jesse B.

Oct 23, 2009
    Rather than tell the story, I'll just skip to the end, and the lesson I learned.

The end: I looked down, my eyes fixed on the nice, blue buttoned overshirt on the floor... now shredded to ribbons. "How could this happen?" I thought. "What's going on?" (I don't even like blue. Navy blue, baby blue, it's all poison to me -- except for this shirt. It was the most lovely shade of blue. Soothing. I believe the name for that shade of blue is "cerulean". Cerulean blue makes me think of a gentle breeze.)

Lesson learned: Hallucinogens + knives + remedial martial arts skills (a.k.a. frantic flailing) + walk-in closets are not good for your clothes.

8. CPP

CPP Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2014
    In college I had a very mini-balisong knife, the blade was somewhere between 1 and 2 inches long. Because I am so ahead of my time I would EDC it even though 25 years ago there was no such thing as EDC. I had to go to the passport center in Boston which is or was located in a federal building. Being a federal building I had to go through a metal detector. After setting off the alarm on the detector I emptied my pockets and, of course, the novelty butterfly knife that I had forgotten I had on me was the offending culprit. The female security guard held it up while laughing and asked her coworker if I could go in with it. I was about to ask her to just throw away when she gave it back and allowed me in the building.
    Two takeaways from this story:
    1. Women laugh at novelty balisong knives.
    2. This is the first time I have ever used the term EDC as verb.

9. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    Back in 1977 when I was 14, I was throwing my Schrade Old Timer small stockman at a dartboard in the backyard. I was standing pretty close to the target. On one throw the knife bounced off the board and started falling to the ground. For some inexplicably stupid reason, I ran up and tried to catch it. Well, I caught the tip of the clip point blade in my left palm, right below my ring finger. That blade was razor sharp. Blood was pouring out for awhile. Later, after the bleeding stopped, I could see some structures inside my hand. It wasn't a big cut, and I never told my parents about it.

Later, my left ring finger felt tingly, then numb for days. I had bandaged it up, and it healed up nicely and quickly, as things often do when you're a kid. I should've just let the knife hit the ground, because it was only grass, and no knife is more important than my body.

Jim

bemymonkey, Blur1670 and kbirk2003 like this.
  10. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2016
    Could've stopped right there. OOF!

11. lieferung

lieferung

May 24, 2016
    Got a new knife and was showing it off to my coworkers, and dropped it while trying to demonstrate the Spydie flick. They were previously wowed by it, but the drop killed the cool factor.

Smaug and bemymonkey like this.
  12. seabil

seabil

Apr 8, 2015
    I got a cool new knife in the mail at work, flipping it at a stoplight on the way home, I cut the passenger car seat....another time at the same stoplight I got rear ended could have been worse!

bemymonkey likes this.
  13. fmrranger

fmrranger Basic Member Basic Member

May 13, 2010
    I used to install commercial flooring and while cutting a piece of material my knife jumped over the straight edge I was cutting along, sliced into my thumb at the knuckle all the way to the bone, followed the bone through my thumb nail and out the tip of my thumb. At the emergency room the Dr. had to remove my thumb nail so that he could stitch everything together! That wound took months to heal, I still have numbness in the thumb to this day and this happened about 25 years ago.

Smaug and bemymonkey like this.
  14. Mossyhorn

Mossyhorn Enlightened Rogue Platinum Member

Dec 6, 2009
    A friend was admiring an Entrek Bravo that Id owned. He asked me, if it was jump proof. In an attempt to show him how secure the sheath was, I shook the knife violently while upside down in the sheath. I neglected to insert the knife fully into the sheath, for the locking tab to engage.

This performance was done over a solid coffee table. The blade came free, and my palm met the tip, just as it made contact with the table. The blade buried deeply into my hand and bled profusely. This was a wound that would have required many stitches to close it. Instead, I wrapped it tightly until the bleeding stopped, and then applied super glue. The glue was applied many times until the wound sealed up.

bemymonkey and orangejoe35 like this.
  15. vanadium

vanadium Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 5, 2003
    I stood up to leave the subway, and my Spyderco Police Model (in G-2 steel) went flying out of my pocket, hit the ground, and opened 90 degrees. In front of a train car of New Yorkers staring silently at me, I reached down, folded it, slid it back in my pocket, and skulked off.

That polished stainless slab handle sure had its downsides. Still, great knife.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  16. BoozeFighter

BoozeFighter

Jul 6, 2015
    I have an embarrassing knife making story.... I had a hunk of steel from an old machete and a Craftsman 4x36 belt sander, and I was ready to make myself a knife. The blade was taking shape and I was quite proud of what I had managed to grind up, all that was left to do was grind the flats to make it nice and shiny.

I put on a 120 grit belt, and with the grinder in the vertical position I braced my hand against the work rest and pushed the knife in to the belt as hard as I could with my finger tips.

Anybody familiar with these Craftsman sanders knows that the tolerances aren’t exactly tight, and there was almost a 1/4” gap between the rest and the belt.

Almost immediately, the blade was sucked down into the gap, my fingers coming along for the ride. My index finger got the worst of it, the nail as well as the nail bed getting completely ground down to something resembling chewed steak.

Since that day, I have learned a little forethought and planning can save a lot of pain.

17. Justin Partridge

Justin Partridge

Mar 19, 2017
    Back in the day when I was just drooling over spyderco knives, I had watched a bunch of YouTube videos and was amazed at the spydie flick. At a cabelas I asked to see a tenacious and proceded to spydie flick it clear across the display case. Needless to say the employee was not enthused and i did not ask to see another.

Basp2005 and Sonnydaze like this.
  18. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    dammit, wazu...I hate that damned bug... :)

CableGirl and wazu013 like this.
  19. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Did something similar. I was working a summer job at a factory using a grinder (belt). Pretty coarse grit belt. You apply a fair amount of pressure during the grinding process, essentially you lean into the wheel with your body firmly holding the object you are sanding. The belt broke and came around and slapped my hand (about like a sledge hammer hitting you), I was stunned.... a co-worker saw me and ran over and grabbed and pulled me away from the flapping belt which continued to slap my hand over and over again. Went to the hospital for that one.... Not a knife story but I feel sure I had a knife in my pocket at the time as I almost always did because they are handy to have. To this day, there are still scars on my hand where the belt ground ground the skin deep.... This was probably 40 years ago.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    bemymonkey and BoozeFighter like this.
  20. wazu013

wazu013 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2011
    [​IMG]

Jody744 likes this.