Emberlit Stove

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I understand correctly, they aren't in production just yet.

Of course, and that's why I need one for "rigorous testing" to make sure that they REALLY work. Think of me like Noss with tea and biscuits... only not like noss at all. Instead think of a man who likes his tea well brewed, warm, and with plenty of honey. My extreme testing of this device will include things like: Fire, Wood, Water, Mint Tea, Honey, A Stainless Steel Cup, and a whole lot of manliness! I may kick it up a notch by trying it out with my Guyot bottles. I am clearly Mikhail's man, perhaps the only man for a job of this... intensity. :D

God bless,
Adam

Has he promised you the prototype waved Infi version for testing? I think not. Or the auto Cro-van version? I laugh. And I laugh funny because I am experimenting on lightening the standard, improved Ti version... with helium! LOL!

nah nee nah nee nah nah

DSC05079.jpg

:D :D :D

has he promised you the prototype waved infi version for testing? I think not. Or the auto cro-van version? I laugh. And i laugh funny because i am experimenting on lightening the standard, improved ti version... With helium! lol!

rofl!

DSC05088.jpg

This is Chicago,
we have lots of restrictions.
Dont ask me about knife and gun laws here in Crook County Illinois

An artificial candle? A wood stove that the pols won't let you burn? Can you fire up a BBQ grille? Use charcoal then! That is going to be one of my experiments anyway. Congrats on the get though dude. :thumbup:

I have one of these little suckers. Got it in July, It rocks, Boils a liter of water in around five to seven minutes with dry twigs from lighting. Packs small, no moving parts.

Works really well. Very happy.

Ohhh! I'm liking the small pot supports! (happy dance) Simple and elegant, just like the stove. I hope that we will have a choice of materials, stainless for us original adopters, and Ti for when we upgrade. And then the custom carry bags will have to be made available for our purchasing pleasure (not so subtle hints!).

In the mean time, I'm going to stop looking for a suitable wire grill and hold my breath in anticipation of the supports. Or maybe I should just be patient, since they haven't been released yet and Canada Post will be involved in their delayed delivery... ;)

Dave

I just went to my post office and this is what I found:
Photo112.jpg

...and this is what the delivery notice was for:
Photo113.jpg

Ahhhhhh... gots it! Two seconds to rip open the mailer, ten seconds to assemble... wrong. :eek:

Yes, Virginia, it can be assembled wrong. There are no markings to show inside/outside of the pristine panels so it can be assembled inside out. What difference does it make? None functionally, just that the frontplate will wind up with the engraved logo on the inside of the stove. Also, taking it down and reassembling it correctly, I noticed that it is just as easy to latch all four side panels into their positions and then add the floor plate, then hooking the last corner of the four panel assembly to complete the stove.

Now, pardon me while I read the instruction sheet. There could be some good information hidden there!

ETA: Properly oriented, the lefthand panel tab slots open upward and the righthand slots open downward.

ETA: The above may not apply in Australia.

Last edited:
Yes, Virginia, it can be assembled wrong. There are no markings to show inside/outside of the pristine panels so it can be assembled inside out. What difference does it make? None functionally, just that the frontplate will wind up with the engraved logo on the inside of the stove. Also, taking it down and reassembling it correctly, I noticed that it is just as easy to latch all four side panels into their positions and then add the floor plate, then hooking the last corner of the four panel assembly to complete the stove.

Now, pardon me while I read the instruction sheet. There could be some good information hidden there!

ETA: Properly oriented, the lefthand panel tab slots open upward and the righthand slots open downward.

Hahahaha
I did the same thing!
I wrote a big email telling Mikhail that
they stamped the Emberlit logo on the wrong side
luckly before I hit send,I rebuilt the stove,
this time the correct way....

Glad you got yours Old_Codger :D
(I wont ask fer a burn to prove it :) )

I just did an experimental burn using two of the Coghlan's fire sticks laid in a "X" on the floor plate. I boiled two cups of water, enough to make a bowl of oatmeal and a cup of hot chocolate. Total burn time was ten minutes with a 10 mph crosswind. The pot I used was my stainless Aussie Billy can a mate sent to me as a present. I've used it countless times on my gas stove and it fit the Emberlit with no problem. The One Egg Wonder skillet and all of my other camp pots and skillets worked as well, except the smaller base of the Walmart basting pot. To use it on the Emberlit, I will have to add a pair of tent stakes or the to-be-produced adapter. Oh, and no matter what Coleman/Coghlans says, the sticks do smoke and put off soot.
Photo114.jpgPhoto115.jpgPhoto116.jpg

I just did an experimental burn using two of the Coghlan's fire sticks laid in a "X" on the floor plate. I boiled two cups of water, enough to make a bowl of oatmeal and a cup of hot chocolate. Total burn time was ten minutes with a 10 mph crosswind. The pot I used was my stainless Aussie Billy can a mate sent to me as a present. I've used it countless times on my gas stove and it fit the Emberlit with no problem. The One Egg Wonder skillet and all of my other camp pots and skillets worked as well, except the smaller base of the Walmart basting pot. To use it on the Emberlit, I will have to add a pair of tent stakes or the to-be-produced adapter. Oh, and no matter what Coleman/Coghlans says, the sticks do smoke and put off soot.
View attachment 238494View attachment 238495View attachment 238496

so what is your opinion on this? deal or dud? you have used many items over the years and most of us enjoy your opinions

An excellent deal. I've played with a fair variety of wood and alcohol stoves, liquid and gas stoves. I won't be tossing my Max Micro stove, but I won't be leaving this Emberlit at home either. It is the best wood burner I have found, much better than the paint/juice can burners and, my scales confirm 5 ounces weight. Less than the Max Micro without the fuel tank.

My first stove was a white gas Optimus 123 back in the late sixties/early seventies. It was a love/hate relationship which ended with drop kicking the flaming inferno across a gravel bar when the seals failed under pressure (after ten years of use). I went to gas cartridges after that. I still burned and tended campfires, but like the stove option for controlling cooking.

I love a bright, warm campfire as much as the next guy, but I am secumbing to a condition known as COPD. I can't breathe. It is progressive and there is nothing short of a double lung transplant that can stop or slow the deteriation. My attempts last year at reoutfitting and going backpacking were for naught. I just can't do it. So I am back canoeing and canoe camping. Weight there isn't a major consideration. I can power paddle as long as I wish without running low on oxygen. But I recently learned that I cannot handle the smoke from a campfire in shifting winds. So this stove is my best hope for continuing to camp and have a "real fire".

Why did I pick ti over stainless? The price difference was not much at all and I wanted to see if titanium could hold up to being used as a firebox as well as stainless.

Will the Emberlit get me by Smokey Bear during a burn ban? Possibly if I use a metal fire pan with it. But I do like the cleaner burn and contained fire with sparks not flying all over creation as with an open campfire. And with the gas stove as backup, I can still cook during a general or restrictive fire ban.

Cooking experiments will be almost daily for a while. Next will be oak wood or hickory and roasting. Hotdogs, fish, venison steaks.

ETA: Emberlit tips of the day:
1. Even after an initial burn's color changes, the inside/outside of panels is not apparent if you clean off the soot. Begin assembly with the front panel, logo facing you. Then add panels clockwise or counterclockwise, then the floor panel and finish the final corner tabs. The stove will only assemble one way, the correct way.
2. A Scotchbrite pad is the same height as the stove panels and fits nicely in the storage bag, ready to clean the stove of soot after the next use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back