Emberlite stainless steal or ti.

O.K. Who has the stainless steal Emberlite and who has the ti. Emberlite and why ?

Has anyone here had both. Santa needs to know this ,Thanks .

i had both and kept the titanium one because i was moving towards lightweight gear and that was one of the few heavy items left.

I bought the titanium version because I was attracted not to the lighter weight, but to corrosion resistance over steel. Right or wrong, I had visions of the steel winding up like a rusted coffee can due to the caustic nature of ash. The ti, at worst, has taken on a mottled blue color like a fire blued gunlock. For me, the light weight is just a bonus. I was concerned that it would warp with use, but it hasn't. Even when I overheated it with hickory wood under an oven. The oven reached nearly 700 degrees before I took it off to let the fire cool down to a managable 450 degree baking temperature.

Thanks JV . I have got this thing about stainless of late. Guess it's because the last Ti. peace of gear bent and I am just not to sure
that it is any better than stainless. Thanks

stainless :)
TI wasnt available when I bought mine
the stainless goes goldy brown ... no rust as yet , semi regular use only tho .
I have bought a few and gifted them , exotic stuff outa america you know :) , no complaints about corrosion .

Hey Codger So you like the Ti because it's lighter? I wonder if the Ti is thinner ?

Myal , have you had your's for a while? I am really thinking hard about a stainless one.

The website says half the weight for twice the price on the Ti, (5.5oz, 80$) and the stainless is 11oz for 40 $. I would expect durability to be similar; I've bent my ti cup, but 11 years later, its just fine. I'd think that they'd both be plenty tough.

"Light" wasn't a prime concern for me. I mostly camp from a canoe and can carry as much or as little weight as I want. Not having the steel one, I can't say if it is thinner or not. I do know I have over 100 burns on mine and it has not warped or bent. And I might have been just as satisfied had I bought the steel one, judging from Mayal's experience with it. I can't see it getting bent in transport since the five plates are stacked like playng cards in a polybag inside a heavy duty vinyl slip case that I keep in my zippered mesh cooking bag, inside of my drybag. And it holds my full quart billy with ease. I've only used my cast iron skillet on it once to fry fish, but it didn't bend or seem tippy with the skillet full of oil and fish. And this was an old heavy Griswold skillet. Empty it weighs about five pounds. So maybe seven full. I cannot tell you that the titanium is worth the extra cost over the steel for durability or weight. Send me one and I'll... oh nevermind. I've tried that one before! :D

Nezpercelands , I bent my Snow Peak1400 cup and that just kind of got me to thinking that I am better of with stainless steel. If I am not going to be holding the stove when I am using it then the difference in weight is not an issue to me.

The stoves, both materials, are laser cut sheets of uniform thickness, not deep drawn thin like the cups. That might be a significant difference . I really don't know. I do torque the panels (bend them) during assembly and they spring back straight just fine and still stack flat after many uses. You may well be in the same place on durability concers with ti that I was in on corrosion of the steel, non-issues.

I have the SS because was short on money and couldn't afford the nearly 100% increase in price. So far I really like it.

[video=youtube;hmp39DzUlf0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmp39DzUlf0[/video]

Nezpercelands , I bent my Snow Peak1400 cup and that just kind of got me to thinking that I am better of with stainless steel. If I am not going to be holding the stove when I am using it then the difference in weight is not an issue to me.

I hear you there, Hawkeye. Sticks in your craw to see a 30 $ cup with a dent in it, especially since the stainless wouldn't have dented, and costed one third the price. If weight isn't a consideration, the steel is probably a better value: similar to greater durability for half cost. Now I need to figure out which one I want....

I have the stainless. I have only utilized it for a couple of months. So far, no signs of rust or signs of weakness. It works great and its half the cost of Ti. Its a pretty cool piece of gear. Call me crazy, but I think the stainless is light. I give it :thumbup::thumbup:

I think Ive had mine a year or two at least , its not gone rusty , just goldy brown , my little girl insist we light it every outing pretty much , to toast marshmallows on it

its something that makes an outing an outing for her

I am seriously happy with it , enough so I got one for my mum , and three or four other friends who regularly are boiling a billy when they go out .

I went with the ti stove for the same initial reasons as Codger. Corrosion was my number one reason for choosing it. I've used it several times and it works like a champ.

Thanks for the video and all the replies . I have something now to put in my letter to Santa.

I recently got a Ti version for myself and for my dad. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but my mentality was that with the lighter weight I could just keep it in my pack full-time without worrying so much about weight (put it in, and forget about it until you need it). Also, I figured I'm only buying this stove once, so an extra $40 for an item that's gonna last for years isn't a deal breaker at this point in time (this point depends on your available funds).

I should mention that the Ti stove isn't heavy, but it's not super light either (it's heavier than I thought it would be). I would hate to pack something twice as heavy in my bag on my outings, but that depends on how you plan to use this stove.

stainless steel older emberlit being used by an expert to toast marshmallows

IMG_20130916_154155_zps271704c7.jpg

You know you need one

Thanks for the picture Myal , That expert looks like she is enjoying that ss stove . I will show it to Santa so (he) will know what the ss Emberlit looks like .
Thanks

Back