Emberlite stainless steal or ti.

O.K. I showed Santa the stove and the Expert and now if I am a good boy I will be toasting marshmallows after Christmas.
Thanks for your help.

Don't forget popcorn. Yes, Jiffypop in the aluminum pan with wire handle can still be found if you look.

What do you fry the bacon in now ?
"Light" wasn't a prime concern for me. I mostly camp from a canoe and can carry as much or as little weight as I want. Not having the steel one, I can't say if it is thinner or not. I do know I have over 100 burns on mine and it has not warped or bent. And I might have been just as satisfied had I bought the steel one, judging from Mayal's experience with it. I can't see it getting bent in transport since the five plates are stacked like playng cards in a polybag inside a heavy duty vinyl slip case that I keep in my zippered mesh cooking bag, inside of my drybag. And it holds my full quart billy with ease. I've only used my cast iron skillet on it once to fry fish, but it didn't bend or seem tippy with the skillet full of oil and fish. And this was an old heavy Griswold skillet. Empty it weighs about five pounds. So maybe seven full. I cannot tell you that the titanium is worth the extra cost over the steel for durability or weight. Send me one and I'll... oh nevermind. I've tried that one before! :D

I have two skillets. One is a copper bottom stainless commercial mess-kit jobbie... Stansport? But it doesn't distribute the heat very well and always has hot spots. The other is an old, old mil-surp heavy aluminum skillet (7"?) with folding wire handles. It works great. I could carry a small cast iron in the canoe, but I don't. With a lid of some sort, everything I mentioned can be cooked in the skillet, one after the other. Of course the biscuits do better in the oven if you have one. But pan biscuits aren't bad. I baked a small pizza in the skillet for supper and it turned out great. Just have to find a lid at a junk shop or a metal pie pan or something. I found one that fit in my old camping cookware box.

Even with greasy foods like bacon, sausage and hamburger, I carry a real small nalgene bottle of cooking oil in my kit to keep stuff from sticking. My order of breakfast has worked out to be: Hash browns, then bacon or sausage, then eggs, then biscuits. May have to pour some grease off before the eggs and biscuits. But if I start dry, the first lot sticks and so does everything after. Maybe I need a tfal skillet for less sticking. I do use my One-Egg-Wonder teflon occasionally but it is so small that I dice the bacon, add some diced onion and bell pepper then two eggs for an egg omelet sandwich. This works well on a micro gas stove as well. Just burn the Emberlit down to coals before you cook. Full flame is too hot except for boiling water to make coffee or rehydrate FD food. Especially if your fuel is hardwoods. I mentioned elsewhere that I nearly melted my oven with the Emberlit using hardwoods as the temp gauge hit nearly 700 degres.

Well I guess Santa found out that my birthday was on Friday .The mail person left this in my mail box. Thanks Sweetie.

A patio and a few tree trimmings or BBQ smoker chips makes a good first tryout. I hope you like it as much as I like mine.

My Ti got good use last winter. Now I don't know were it is, in the trunk maybe ?

I ordered a ss model, and by accident the guy sent me a ti one. I thought it was awesome at first, haha, but felt bad and contacted the person. He had realized the mistake, but told me to just keep it. So, I lucked out and got the ti model for $37.95 shipped.

I'm totally loving mine. Got the Ti based on Codger's recommendation about durability, something that several other folks I trust have underscored.

I've worked out a small holder and extra windscreen support that I can use with a Trangia burner. I actually get faster times with the Trangia in the Emberlit than with just a plain windscreen due, I think, to the better chimney effect it creates.

On trips up to the krumhotlz zone, I still rely on traditional stoves. But for the lowlands, I'm a convert.

One of the really, really, really big things for me is the ability to have a fire of any sort more or less guilt free. Wood harvest and ash deposit is driven down to a very, very low level.

Went up to a pondy, moosey area before it got real cold in October.

Beaver Pond, NH by Pinnah, on Flickr

We passed 3 or 4 parties who had carved out single use camp sites and had big fires going. I find this to be a real mess and a bummer when hiking along a fairly well traveled hiking trail and finding a bunch of abused sites with lots of cut up junk wood and visible fire rings left behind. If it's a maintained site with a well established fire ring that's maintained that's one thing. But even then, it's a sure bet to find partially burned garbage and soaked half burnt wood.

With the Emberlit, fires burn down to a very, very small amount of ash that is easy to dispose of without any noticeable fuss. And they're very miserly on wood, which limits both harvest impact and the need for heavy fire making tools. I'm comfortable with just a folding Opinel when I'm carrying the stove.

Excellent post pinnah. And it mirrors my experiences and attraction to this stove. Before I got the stove, I frequented a popular local State Park and it's 8 mile hiking loop. Only two approved sites were established on the loop. So I found myself eithr sharing a site or spending my time cleaning up after others. Mr. Ranger allowed me to camp off site using my Emberlit once I demo'd it to him. Low fuel need, low trace, contained fire. I got an exemption to the rules. And now, when I cast off from a gravel bar in the morning, only a very good tracker can tell I had been there. Frequently used gravel bars are often devoid of what mosst people consider firewood. There is always enough fuel for my Emberlit. Three or four meals' worth anyway, without having to range very far searching.

Dig it out Upnorth. Mine is sitting within six feet of my desk still packed in my drybag. It is a piece of gear I would hate to lose.

Playing with the Emberlit.
Boiling water for the pasta.

Last edited:
ucket.com/albums/r318/hawkeye5_2006/IMG_1025_zpsb096821e.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

Fried some deer meat for supper.Also used the Trangia in the stove to boil water.

Back