Epic Movie Knives

Red Dawn
Balisong_zps2gbiju7j.jpg

What are your most favourite movie knife "icons" of all times,that draw your attention to knives from early childhood? Name or post pictures of first three most desirable on scale from 1 to 3 (first most favourite,third last)

A most challenging question Seriousbladeno1. I've always found it difficult to limit my "favorite" anything to only 3; especially when considering memorable knife featuring films. As one whose angst-ridden into young adult years spanned the 70's and 80's it would be insincere of me not to admit to the most iconic movies, already noted here by many, affected me in like manner. Being a film aficionado AND a knifenut these films had a particular influence on my interest in blades.

1. 1982: FIRST BLOOD, 1985: RAMBO First Blood Part II

1whIHjh.jpg

1985's RAMBO probably resonated with me more due to that awe-inducing Jimmy Lile knife being so prominently featured in the film more so than it's 1982 predecessor. In 1985 I was 21 years old and serving in the USAF and sooo impressionable. :eek: Looking at the film today at age 53 I can see how truly ridiculous the whole thing was. :rolleyes:

2. 1987: PREDATOR
DI6UOh2.jpg

Although the Jack Crain knives got overshadowed by the projectile firing armament, they still managed to catch my eye.

3. 1985: COMMANDO
GMnIBYB.jpg

What was it I said before? Ridiculous? Now, COMMANDO was indeed some over-the-top, cheesy action spam, but, THAT was the appeal, right? :D That final climatic knife fight showcasing Crain's Life Support I knife was worth the price of admission AND the popcorn and Coke!

I could sit here ALL night recounting the multitude of movies that, in some measure or another, tendered glee and excitement with the beauty of the edged weapon. Don't even get me started on SWORDS and the Samurai films of old and new that thrilled and tantalized. Too many would have to be left unrepresented.

However, another gem from the 80's... 1986's HIGHLANDER
JjRpDa5.jpg

hjQXnEq.jpg

GgX3dSJ.jpg

On a separate note but related to the topic; I first discovered Spyderco knives in 1999 by means of the Thomas Harris novel: Hannibal. Well before the feature film and sequel to Silence of the Lambs; the book featured the Spyderco Harpy by name and with it Dr. Lecter dispatched no fewer than two victims with it; one by means of a surreptitious groin slice while passing by on the sidewalk as I recall. Harris' description in the book sparked my curiosity and one internet search later and I was soon purchasing my very first Spyderco- a serrated harpy just as in the book...MANY more Spyderco's were to follow! :rolleyes:

HqiiDOy.jpg

PjoqRjm.jpg

gxJtJRv.png

In more recent years, I must say, Captain America: The Winter Soldier exhibited one of the most realistic and compelling knife fights I've ever seen portrayed in film!
VN766L3.jpg

In the 2010 film predators the character Royce carried two knives ......

Maybe not epic, but cheap thrills has a serrated Endura/Police (spyderco)

cheap-pic-cheap_2932457b.jpg

Last edited:
finally watched the new Pete's Dragon this past weekend. i don't know about "epic", but i couldn't help but notice Robert Redford using a (what-looked-like) granddaddy barlow knife a couple times. ;) :thumbup:

Has anyone mentioned Big Trouble in Little China? Jack Burton(Kurt Russell) frequently draws, and ultimately saves the day with his Gerber TAC II boot knife. And there's a scene early in the movie where a gang member flips out a balisong and then pops out a collapsible baton, much to Burton's surprise and dismay.

Back