Epic Movie Knives

Buck 119 in the movie Scream also

The scream knife was a 120 general

@gaston444 I think the 120 from the scream movies was an older model with the more exaggerated swedge and while the 120 was used on the Friday the 13th posters I don't remember it ever getting screen time, Jason usually used a machete or anything close at hand

The scream knife was a 120 general

@gaston444 I think the 120 from the scream movies was an older model with the more exaggerated swedge and while the 120 was used on the Friday the 13th posters I don't remember it ever getting screen time, Jason usually used a machete or anything close at hand

That's interesting: Did not see these Jason movies, so I assumed they played a role...

I did a bit of research on two interesting movie knives:

Aliens Gerber Mark II:

KnifeTrick1_zpsgdp6mcaa.jpg

It fits as the Black Armorhide handle with a wasp waisted serrated blade, so BA2 version, pointed black leather sheath. The unevenly blackened or blued blade, that hides the exposed edges, suggests L6 steel... 14 teeth 8 TPI serrations, looking finer because they are somewhat ground-off blunter. The "knife trick" scene close-ups show that the knife still has a fair amount of point remaining, unlike the knife of the non-close-up shots, which is heavily and crudely blunted at the point(!), very visible as Lance Henriksen flips it...

BA2 was produced from 1977 to late 1981, serial 060869-111914.

The knife was thus 5 years old at least by the time of filming.

There is a nicely etched fake "Movie" knife with the spaceship name etched on it, but it is the wrong version and not blackened.

Hunger Games survival knife: This was interesting to me, as it is the only instance I can recall of a knife sawback being used to major dramatic effect, sawing a 3" branch to drop a nest of mutated wasps on enemies... The knife is a prop design that looks moderately clumsy (especially the handle), and is used or thrown in at least 3 scenes:

Stunt_props.jpg

Very odd looking handle section/guard visible here:

Thanks-for-the-knife-the-hunger-games-movie-28914079-380-340.jpg

Hope you enjoyed. :)

Gaston

Last edited:
Not a movie sword, but I'd love this kitchen knife from American McGee's Alice

Unbenannt-1_61.jpg

I guess a miyabi would do in its stead.

The only movie knife I have ever liked, is the one from "The Abyss." Shane Siebert had made some, and I would LOVE to get one!!

The only movie knife I have ever liked, is the one from "The Abyss." Shane Siebert had made some, and I would LOVE to get one!!

The original was made by George Lainhart. Here is a thread on the Siebert version:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/863533-Custom-Shane-Sibert-1-of-2-Abyss-dive-knife

This is the OP's post:

Ever since I was a kid I've been into knives. Especially survival style knives and even more especially those seen in movies.

After 'Commando' and 'Predator' I was a full fledge knife junkie.

In the summer of 1989 I saw 'The Abyss' in the theater and instantly took a liking to the dive knife used by Michael Biehn as Lieutenant Coffey.
Although the knife gets very little screen time and is never fully shown in it's entirety it was enough to peak my interest and set me on a quest that would last for 20 years.

Over the years I tried to find the maker of the original knife with no luck but my luck changed in 2005 when someone answered my question. Well now I knew who made the knife but he was retired and had only made a handful of the knives for some Navy SEAL's.

I was out of luck until 2009 when I contacted Shane Sibert. I asked him if he'd be interested in making me a replica of the knife. It turns out he's a huge fan of the knife and the movie as well.

Luckily Shane had an old magazine article with a great picture of the knife so we could base the replica on that as well as the screen captures I provided.

Luck again came to be on our side as Shane eventually contacted the original maker of 'The Abyss' knife (George Lainhart) and got his full blessing and endorsement to do my replica.

Shane was not only able to re-create this knife, but do it better than the original. This is no movie prop mind you, this is thing is built like a tank. It's 1/4" thick Crucible S30V steel and weighs over 18 ounces.
The fit and finish far exceeds that of the original.

Anyway, enough rambling, here it is after 21 years, 'The Abyss' Lt. Coffey knife by Shane Sibert. 1 of only 2 ever made. Shane kept the other one.

I even had commemorative patches made up for the occasion.

Thanks for looking.

SibertAbyss009Small.jpg

SibertAbyss012Small.jpg

SibertAbyss007Small.jpg

SibertAbyss001Small.jpg

Screencaps-
AbyssKnife004.jpg

AbyssKnife006.jpg

AbyssKnife014.jpg

AbyssKnife016.jpg

I knew who the original were made by. What I should have said, is that Shane got permission to make it. I LOVE that knife!!

My favourite "knife" is Itto Ogami's Dotanuki from Lone Wolf and Cub (Shogun Assassin)

I just saw John Wick 2 and there is a scene where they flash a few nice knives in a box, John Wicj selects a D/A Microtech Switchblade of some sort.

Also in the new XMen movie Logan the main villain has a microtech D/A Switchblade of some sort, couldn't tell which.

I don't know if I or somebody else has mentioned this yet (I'm too lazy to check the whole thread), but the kid in the original Phantasm (1978) has what looks like a Buck Special or General fixed blade that he carries when he breaks into the funeral home.

Jim

My 2 favorites are probably the cane sword from blind fury ( this movie seems to be somewhat of a hidden gem ), and the lamson knife used in the Halloween movies.
The Rambo knives are cool, but have been tainted in my eyes by the hundreds of chip Chinese copies.

Waterworld. Yeah, I know. But it was the first movie I saw that featured a khukuri/kukri--quite a bit before Alice in RE:Extinction. Costner only had one, though. LOL
Exposure/A Grande Arte. Had never seen knives like those before this movie.
Resident Evil: Extinction, of course. One blade's good. Two's better.

No favorites. Those are just some that stayed in my mind.

I think the first movie I can remember featuring prominent Khukuri use was Van Damme's 1989 movie Cyborg.

My 2 favorites are probably the cane sword from blind fury ( this movie seems to be somewhat of a hidden gem ), and the lamson knife used in the Halloween movies.
The Rambo knives are cool, but have been tainted in my eyes by the hundreds of chip Chinese copies.

I remember Blind Fury: 1989... Possibly the last decent role Rutger Hauer got... It was already something like the last gasp of the 80s action movies by then, along with "They live" in 1988 and "The last Crusade" in 1989...

In the early 90s real action movies got scarce really quick, rapidly turning into the "near parody" genre like "Judge Dredd", "Demolition Man", "Last Action Hero", "Waterworld", and of course the Burton Batmans...

One of the few nice exceptions of the 90-00s was "Breakdown" in 1997, and the second "Punisher" in 2004, not to mention the excellent "Dredd" of 2012.

Compare the lobotomized "The hunted" of 2003 to "First Blood" in 1982 to see how far the genre has fallen...

Although this is not widely acknowledged outside of television, which is said to have never fully recovered, I think the Hollywood writer's strike of 1988, the longest in history, has also had an effect on movie quality ever since...

Now it definitely is a comic book movie era...

Gaston

I remember Blind Fury: 1989... Possibly the last decent role Rutger Hauer got... It was already something like the last gasp of the 80s action movies by then, along with "They live" in 1988 and "The last Crusade" in 1989...

In the early 90s real action movies got scarce really quick, rapidly turning into the "near parody" genre like "Judge Dredd", "Demolition Man", "Last Action Hero", "Waterworld", and of course the Burton Batmans...

One of the few nice exceptions of the 90-00s was "Breakdown" in 1997, and the second "Punisher" in 2004, not to mention the excellent "Dredd" of 2012.

Compare the lobotomized "The hunted" of 2003 to "First Blood" in 1982 to see how far the genre has fallen...

Although this is not widely acknowledged outside of television, which is said to have never fully recovered, I think the Hollywood writer's strike of 1988, the longest in history, has also had an effect on movie quality ever since...

Now it definitely is a comic book movie era...

Gaston

They live is an excellent movie, and I'll admit that the last action heresy not be the greatest thing ever. Now the last boy scout is a much better movie.
The fan featured prominent use of knives as Robert de Nero was a knife salesman for a fictional knife company which I'd say is a dead ringer for cold steel.

"First Blood"

Take out the knife and I still love this movie. If you want to appreciate it even more, watch the entire movie on DVD with Stallone's commentary turned on. He talks about how it was made and his experience. :thumbup:

Take out the knife and I still love this movie. If you want to appreciate it even more, watch the entire movie on DVD with Stallone's commentary turned on. He talks about how it was made and his experience. :thumbup:

I'll have to get the proper DVD with commentary then!

Just to give you an idea of what a movie year 1982 was:

-First Blood
-Tron
-Bladerunner
-Poltergeist
-Star Trek II The wrath of Khan
-Conan the Barbarian
-Firefox
-Cat People
-John Carpenter's The Thing
-E.T.

There's never been a year quite like 1982...

Gaston

Back