1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Ergonomic Favorite Spyders?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by JD Spydo, Jul 29, 2016.

1. mako20ft

mako20ft

Mar 23, 2014
    I'll cast another vote for the Temperance 2. I just acquired it from here at BF and right out of the package it was just about the most comfortable, natural fit to my hand I've experienced.

2. JD Spydo

JD Spydo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2004
    With as good of overall results that I've had with both my original TEMPERANCE 1 models ( PE & SE) I have no doubt at all that the TEMP 2 would truly be an ultimate outdoor type fixed blade. Both the TEMP 1 and TEMP 2 are superbly designed and ergonomically near perfect IMO.

Spyderco has made huge strides with their fixed blade models in the past 4 to 5 years especially. Most Spyderco fixed blade handles are like their tailor made for your hand IMO. Not to mention the handle materials on both the TEMP 1 and TEMP 2 are also superb.

3. MacLaren1

MacLaren1

May 15, 2014
    Manix XL & The Temperance 2.

4. ni1s

ni1s

Feb 10, 2014
    PM2 and Techno! The techno really surprised me, I thought it would be uncomfortable but is really versatile.

5. Skeptic13

Skeptic13

Jun 9, 2016
    Of the Sypderco knives that I own (which I know is not close to amount of others on this forum but I am working on it) I would say:

1) Manix 2
    2) Tenacious
    3) Delica 4

The Delica would probably rank higher but I really like a little larger blade. All of these knives are light, feel good in my mid sized hand and carry well in pocket.

6. JD Spydo

Nov 20, 2004
    I'm finding it very interesting that the DELICA is getting as many votes as it is. Also I'm finding it extremely interesting that Spyderco's fixed blade models are getting a lot of votes as well. Even going all the way back to the original TEMPERANCE 1 model I've yet to find that most of Spyderco's fixed blades have very ergonomic handles.

Also so many of the Old School Spyders like the JD Smith, Military and Dodo models still garner a lot of respect with their superior ergonomics. Very interesting responses but please don't stop now because I know there are more models to be mentioned.

7. ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Sep 15, 2013
    Spyderco fixed blades are really nice in handling and most grips

[​IMG]

The Jumpmaster is incredibly thin and sleek, my hand fits like a glove. Aqua is thicker, grippier, but also great.

[​IMG]

And I've become a Schemmp fan after some work and time with the Rock Salt

[​IMG]

That beast is a pleasure to handle and lets itself to an ergonomic, confortable grip for work and chopping, but delicate slicing (think kitchen and food prep) as well

[​IMG]

8. JD Spydo

Nov 20, 2004
    Yeah Spyderco has certainly made some giant strides in their fixed blade sector for sure. I have no doubt that their fixed blades will someday gain equal reputation to what they now enjoy with their folders IMO.

Even all the way back to the TEMPERANCE 1 model I could see that their handles would compete with the best of their competition. And who else would dare to bring the Ayoob, Szabo, and other non-conventional type folders to market. Because Spyderco cares more about function than they do "cool looks" or what is trendy at the time.

Few companies in the past have put priorities into the ergonomics of a folder or fixed blade like Spyderco has. Not to mention the latest hardware available like blade steels, handle materials and so forth.

9. bigolegator

bigolegator Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2014
    For me the Stretch, Caly3.5 and Para 2 feel the best.

10. JD Spydo

Nov 20, 2004
    You know of all the Calypso series that I've owned and I've owned everyone of them except the 3.5 oddly enough :eek: But even back to the days of the original C54 Calypso ( the granddaddy of them all :cool:) the handles have just fit me like a glove. Even all the Calypso Jr. models I had were great for their size range. And don't forget that all the Calypso models along with the Military and Para models are all Spyderco's IN HOUSE designs.

11. JDX

JDX

Mar 2, 2014
    My manix 2 in g10. It is so much more comfortable in my hand than my paramilitary 2 which is still really nice in the hand. My techno has good ergos in the sense that the design is so basic that I don't really find any hot spots especially when I hold it in a phillipino grip.

The Delica 4 melts in my hand and the native 5 is great except for one hot spot I encounter from the clip

12. bigolegator

Mar 26, 2014
    Yeah JD, I like the caly 3 and 3.5...the 3.5 fits be better though. I own a calypso, brown G10, and it's nice also but the handle is a bit too long for me. All in all great designs.

13. JD Spydo

Nov 20, 2004
    It's been my experience that most of Spyderco's IN HOUSE designs are ergonomically superior to most other commercially made knives ( folders and fixed blades). All of the Calypso models are IN HOUSE designs. Like I said the Calypso series is truly a fine example of ergonomic superiority. Now I find the handle on the C-54 Calypso to be a good fit for me personally. It is a bit longer than the other Calypso models but it still feels tailor made for me when I've used that model. If you ever get a chance to grip a TEMPERANCE 1 or it's big brother the TEMPERANCE 2 fixed blade models you'll be mind blown at how ergonomically great those handles are.

14. bigolegator

Mar 26, 2014
    Good info and insight JD, I will check one out if I get a chance :thumbup:

15. ryanh121

ryanh121

Nov 3, 2009
    It's almost difficult to find a Spyderco that is not ergonomic. However, tops for me are either the Delicate and Caly 3. One of those rides in my pocket everyday.

16. JD Spydo

Nov 20, 2004
    Interesting you mention the Manix2 model because I have a special liking for Eric Glesser's designs. The Dodo which is another one of Eric's great designs is virtually ergonomic perfection in my humble opinion. The very first time I obtained a Dodo model ( back in 2003) I almost thought the handle was tailor made for me personally. It seems like Eric Glesser really focuses on ergonomic handles on all his designs. I just wish at some point he would design a bigger version of the Dodo because despite it's extremely unique design it's really a great all around EDC for it's size. I would just love to see how a bigger version of that folder would perform?

Also with all you guys giving the Para models a "thumbs up" doesn't surprise me at all because the GOLDEN, CO USA Earth units have always appealed to me slightly better than their Japan, Taiwan and other imported units. I like many of the Japan made models and I own and use quite a few of them but there is something uniquely great with the GOLDEN,CO USA models to be sure.

17. roosterscrow

roosterscrow

Oct 20, 2012
    For me it's the Byrd Cara Cara 2 FRN. I've been rotating between the three of these and the Cara Cara is my favorite in the hand. Now if I could only get an M4 Cara Cara. :0)

[​IMG]

18. JD Spydo

Nov 20, 2004
    I've never yet owned one of Spyderco's "BYRD" knives. Although it doesn't surprise me that they would have good ergonomic handles. I came close to buying a Crossbill at one time but I backed off because I just love the original Spyderco brand much better.

But realistically you can't knock success and if it works for you then that's great. I'm also wondering if the handle/scale material doesn't play just as much of a role in ergonomics as the handle design does? Also you know it's a really well designed handle if it fits hands of many different sizes.

19. miltmaldo

miltmaldo Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Wow very surprised by so many stretch fans .

1 Manix ( not my favorite )
    2 PM2
    3 Caly 3.5

20. TDOG1

TDOG1

Jan 11, 2009
    While the Caly 3.5 gets much of my carry time, the Stretch and Aqua Salt are tops in the hand for me.