1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

ESEE forum closed... bummer.

Discussion in 'Tech Support, General Q&A, Site Feedback & More' started by Norsman, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    No need to snipe at one another folks.

Whatever your point of view let's not let this hiccup disrupt all that's good here and all the good to come on the new ESEE forum. A little perspective, understanding and good will is called for imho.

2. sovereign

sovereign

Feb 25, 2002
    On the bright side, ESEE blades should be more readily available and pricing even more competitive with the decreased demand due to less exposure. Recently, there was a feeding frenzy for the Junglas that was no doubt built up due to numerous "Junglas out of stock everywhere" threads in the BF ESEE forum.

3. ron_m80

ron_m80 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 1, 2009
    What has been seen cannot be unseen. I doubt it will play out like that.

4. bladerique

bladerique

Aug 31, 2010
    I agree, but will add that exposure will not be all it could be in the future for ESEE. Taking their ball and going home lowers their profile - unless of course their new forum really takes off.

5. moosehead905

moosehead905

Sep 24, 2010

i'd bet its taking off very well, just a hunch ;);)

6. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2005
    Hmm. . . that's too bad, it was a good forum.

I am not about to join another forum though, I barely have time to check a few of the ones I am currently using.

7. Big Mike

Big Mike

Aug 30, 2006

Yeah, but that's their choice, and I give them credit for having the balls to do it.

For some people it's more then just pushing product.

Big Mike

8. tonym

tonym

Mar 18, 2008
    I have been a member of the other ESEE forum since it started a couple of weeks ago. I participate there, I participate here. Jeff feels he can service and interact better with his customers under his own roof, I don't have a problem with that. It will not slow me down on bladeforums or on the ESEE forum..

What's the big deal people?

9. Maniacal Pete

Maniacal Pete

Oct 16, 2010
    Heh, lol.

That's a fact.

pete

10. Maniacal Pete

Maniacal Pete

Oct 16, 2010
    BF is great for it's one stop shopping experience. I don't even have time to fully explore all that is here, let alone join another single brand knife forum. I'm pretty sure I can keep up with ESEE in General Discussion, just like I do for my Kershaw news. If I ever get a bug to do some real In-the-Jungle Surviving, I might sign up then.

pete

11. NaturalMystic

NaturalMystic

May 24, 2006
    ...said the man with 18,200+ posts in 6 years! LOL.

Seriously though, I just got my temp password from Jeff and plan to join the other forum. It's just one more tab I'll have to keep open in my Firefox browser so it's not that big a deal. I normally keep about 30 tabs open with email, calendars, multiple forums, etc. They all load everytime I launch Firefox. Thank goodness for the Session Saver add-on!

12. Ken C.

Ken C. Jack of all trades, master of none. Staff Member Super Mod

Jun 14, 2000
    Since we are on the subject....

I did not want to see the ESEE Forum closed. I also did not want to read the vicious things that were said about me on Jeff's other forum, especially by people who frequent this forum and I have no problem with. They jumped on the hate wagon. These are the same people I have some sort of interaction with on BFC and they ripped me to shreds. Normally I wouldn't care but when these same people say one thing here and then go over there and start in on the bashing it does bother me.

I am by no means a perfect person nor am I a vicious person. Despite personality clashes from time to time I would never bad mouth or single out a person and rip them apart on a public forum. It was akin to burning me in effigy. But, I did not respond in kind. I understand that emotions get heated in these "hot-button" issues but to do what was done to me was uncalled for. Despite the amicable parting of BFC and ESEE I have yet to get an sort of apology from anyone. I had already accepted the fact that if ESEE wants to play there own game in their forum here I was more than ready to let them sink in a forum full of "Off Topic" threads and let them work it out for themselves. Spark had the final word but it was not good enough for ESEE and thus we have come to where we are today.

I will say it again just so there is no misunderstanding.....

I fully support Jeff and ESEE in their venture into the forum world and I will continue to buy and use the knives they manufacture. I wish them all the best and I'm sorry they decided to leave BFC. I hold no ill will towards anyone involved in this mess.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  13. NaturalMystic

NaturalMystic

May 24, 2006
    Hey Ken, all I can say (and this is honestly just constructive criticism) is maybe do like I do and try to think twice before responding to posts.

I say this because up until last week I'd never interacted with you and when I started that thread asking an honest question about what price I should be asking for my Caly3 you chimed in with the remark about not selling anything outside the buy/sell forum, telling me about saving my "sales pitch" or whatever you called it for that same buy/sell forum or you'd be issuing infractions.

In all honesty I was thinking "WTF is wrong with this guy? Why's he power-tripping".
    I had specified I was only considering selling it to another person not on this forum to help him out since he can't carry big blades but wanted a Caly, but you apparently thought I was trying to scam the system and sneak a sale in here. My "sales pitch" was simply my attempt to make that clear but instead I got the snarky remark.

After I reiterated my case, apologized again and asked you to close the thread you did so without so much as a boo, far less an apology.

I'll be honest, your remark pissed me off and I was seriously considering saying something about it but realized while I'm a paying member here (due to the ESEE sub forum I might add), I'm still a relative nobody here and would likely just end up getting banned. Well in light of this situation I though maybe I would say something. I don't know, maybe taking everything into consideration it'll give you something to reflect on. Maybe it wasn't your intent to come off the way you did, but it did come off that way to me. Who knows, maybe you've come off like that with others too and that's why they're "hating on you" over there.

I'm over the Caly3 issue and I'm sure you're a great guy. I just wanted to state my piece and hope that maybe it gives you something to think about and reflect on and ultimately make you an even better mod. Maybe I'm not the only one that's felt humiliated for lack of a better word, by something you posted, so maybe that explains why the people you thought you got along well with here are hating on you over there. I don't know, I haven't read the posts you're referring to so I'm just speculating.

Anyhow, enough of my rambling. I hope all works out. No hard feelings.

Peace bro.

14. roughneckrob

roughneckrob

Jul 3, 2009
    Wow, i've been away for a bit but was not expecting to find this when I returned....this kinda sucks. I love ESEE knives but there is no way I am going to jump ship from BF. There are for more interesting things going on here to even consider such a thing. I wish Jeff and Mike the best, I will continue to buy their outstanding knives and I am still going to participate in next years jungle survival course. In the world of forums this is and always will be my home.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  15. NaturalMystic

NaturalMystic

May 24, 2006
    Hi Bob, why do you feel like you'd have to jump ship by joining their forum? Why can't you be a member of both? This is my favorite forum too but I'm on many others, including other knife forums, simply because this forum doesn't have dedicated sub forums for other knives I enjoy, like other forums do. For you to not join those and miss out on all the great knowledge on other forums doesn't make sense. I'm sure there are people on other forums that would appreciate the knowledge you could share with them over there too.
    This is a great forum, but it's not the end all/ be all. I respect your opinion but why cheat yourself?

16. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean

Apr 26, 2007
    Ken, I gotta agree with that in one way or another.

17. Ken C.

Ken C. Jack of all trades, master of none. Staff Member Super Mod

Jun 14, 2000
    Since you brought it up let's examine.

You can ask value but do not make mention of sales outside of the Exchange. Think to yourself the next time, "Does this read like I am fishing for sales? Hmmmm....YES! YES IT DOES!!!"

I am not going to apologize for doing my job.

You have absolutely no idea what goes on behind the scenes here and what we deal with everyday so when I am less than cordial think about how much crap I may have had to clean up all over the place. Your thread was 1 of 12 I had to edit and/or lock that day because of one thing or another.

You even posted this at the beginning of your post!
    Next time? Please ask a Mod or Super if you have a question about what/where to post. Had you asked...I would have given you this....Post asking value, no mention of selling.

Again....short and to the point is how I have come to do things. It comes with the territory when you're banning Russian and Chinese spammers.

Think twice before posting? I've been here over 10 years. I think I have my posting and thinking skills down just fine. But thanks anyway.

And the haters hate because they simply follow the mob. They want to be one of the cool kids. They choose not to think for themselves because it's easier to have someone else do it for them.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  18. otis williams

otis williams

May 27, 2008
    wow...

19. NaturalMystic

NaturalMystic

May 24, 2006
    Hi Ken, check your in box.

Thanks.

20. Haze240

Haze240

Jan 1, 2011
    If it wasnt for Blade Forums, i would have never heard of ESEE. Whatever the reasoning, it's a step backwards. Like the first proto-sapien deciding the open grass plains were too scary, and the deep, comforting forest was a safer place to be... way to de-evolve.

Also, all mods on all forums are power-trippers. the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.