esee5 review chat!!!

one of the pressures of being first! i really wanted to bash some car windows(among other things...)but couldnt figure out the logistics in the time frame i had...lots of other ideas too but time ran out. really did wanna pass that knife along so that we're not still on this review 6 months from now....

You definitely had it rough being first and all! Good job getting it broken in! You used that thing for sure!!:thumbup:

See the review sticky for my full review. Help Tony out by keeping the discussion here. Hope my review helps and you enjoy it!

great review dude! enjoyed that. yeah it would be cool, on one hand, if folks doing this could leave the edge alone to see how it holds up...
but then some reviewers down the road may end up with a blade that wont perform as the knife is capable....
and it would get sharpened as needed(as long as ya had something with ya or could scrounge something outta yr environment)
way to go!

2 Excellent reviews in the books so far ! I think the pressure is on the next person and so on down the list :D:thumbup:

great reviews, guys! can't wait 'til its my turn... hopefully my injury will be a bit more healed up by then

When I saw the car door there I thought you were going to let loose and start stabbing the door!

Well... Cold Steel does that. I'm not entirely sure why, I guess to show that their knives can take serious abuse and stay sharp. (Why anyone would need to punch a knife through a car hood...)

It might be interesting to see how much better the glass breaker in the pommel works than using the tip of the blade (if at all) to break glass. And yes I know that using the blade is a safety issue because, presumably, there is someone inside the vehicle being resacued, and they don't need to be stabbed... But hey, these are tests for purposes of review! :)

P.S. Both reviews to date are GREAT!

I've been planning on buying a -5 as soon as I find a dealer with the one I want in stock, those two reviews are just moving the plans up further to where I might "settle" for a different version...

EXCELLENT reviews adaman04 and sadiejane.
I would certainly consider this knife after reading either of them.
Thank you for the glass breaker demo video adaman04!! Great stuff.

I've been planning on buying a -5 as soon as I find a dealer with the one I want in stock, those two reviews are just moving the plans up further to where I might "settle" for a different version...

I was absolutely set on black blade, but the very 'iffy dealer' I ordered through sent me green. I liked the knife so much I didn't care what color it was in my hand, and just went with it. I'm glad I didn't turn back, as nice as the black looks the green is just as cool.

Caine - I would not have thought to pull the scales and test the knife with a paracord wrap -- good idea!

That's what I'm talking about! I never thought about turning the clip upside down. Really that would be a great way to hang it on a LBE rig or pack. You could even just run a loop of paracord closer to the opening of the sheath to keep it from flopping.

Never occured to me to cord wrap a 5, but for people with smaller hands that still want the utility of this beast, that's a great option. Thanks for the pics caine, looking forward to the next one!

I plan on of ESEE reviews later. Had a death in the familiy so I needed to cut it short

If anyone ever wonders where the 5 is , please post on here to help track it...
Caine shipped ,so it should be in the hands of messer454

List is Made ship order is 1. Sadiejane,adam04,caine,messer454,otis williams,1066vik,rockywolf,gundude73,BeatleBailey, MHill,eloreno,xtetifyx
then to me TX Tony where the Mods will get together and choose the Best ESEE 5 Review and the winner will Recieve the Pass around well loved 5 .
List & labels & business card will be provided in box,Please reused box & packing material.

Once the 5 is back in my hands I have 2 gifts to add that will accompany the ESEE5 to it's new owner.
1. Lanyard built by and 8year old name Katie ( hilbillenigma daughter http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633643&highlight=lanyards as he donated it w/ a business card )
2. ESEE/RAT Firekit the original that was marked SERE New Un-used w/ removeable Misch rod)

as a gift for doing the review and helping others in their ESEE Knives want list .

Last edited:
I made the decision to get the 5 based on the review that I read here. I knew I wanted a 4 or 5 but decided that the 5 fills a void that I have in my military kit. (I have an Izula that I have on my military gear)

SJ - you did some great testing with it and you convinced me that this was tougher than nails. I don't know what else you could have done. It was very thorough. Thanks.

Adam04 - your size comparisons really helped me understand the size difference not only in overall length but the girth and blade width. Personally I passed on a 6 because I have a BK7 and felt like the BK7 filled the spot well and it was gifted to me so it stays in the arsenal. :) I liked how you strapped it to the H20 pouch. You could fill the small pocket with an small space blanket, fire kit, first aid, etc and hit the trail for a day hike or make it a PSK.

Caine - I like the way for used the paracord wrap and using the clip upside down. I may put this on my IBA this way. I'll have to try it.

Thanks to all for the great work. This soldier appreciates it! :thumbup:

Back