1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Esnyx Custom Knives

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by pmew, Nov 10, 2014.

1. esnyx

esnyx

Feb 10, 2014
    Thank you all for the well wishes!! Things are going to be slow for the next month or two as I set things up, and I wont be able to frequent the forum as much as I would like, but I will do my best to keep you guys updated along the way!

I will be accepting names for a waiting list, but I will not be able to begin fulfilling orders until the shop is complete. I haven't completely decided how I will approach my builds, but I am planning out a few patterns to start with. I will most likely still be accepting other patterns for custom orders, and will be adding patterns as I go. I want to make knives to the absolute best of my abilities, and evolve my style and skill as I learn and grow as a maker. If you would like to be added to my waiting list, feel free to send me an email at the address in my signature!

Thank you all again. I would not be here without this wonderful community!!

2. glassjaw

glassjaw

Jul 28, 2014
    Wow congratulations! That's a giant step. And I wish you the best. I'm sure I will get a custom sometime and you sir are a fantastic maker. You will have my buisness!

Gabe

3. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    "esnyx" looks real good in orange, Evan! :D:thumbup::D

- GT

4. Primble

Primble

Mar 31, 2014
    So will you continue to be Dr. Frankenstein and also keep the doggie in fishing hat avatar ?? - YES or NO ?? :eek::p:D

5. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Congratulations on your decision, Evan!
    I'm confident you'll make a success of it!:thumbup:

6. navin74

navin74

Mar 27, 2012
    I am very happy for you! Keep up the great work.
    Nathan

7. nozyk

nozyk

Jun 17, 2010
    Congratulations Evan!
    It's a grand decision and one I'm sure you did not make lightly. I'm on the cusp of launching a business venture and am terrified. Only hard work,honesty and commitment will garner success and its obvious you have these prerequisites. I'm happy to own the one modded folder I was lucky enough to get from you last year and will be on your list for a 100% Esnyx for your new shop.
    Good luck!

8. Brisket

Brisket

Aug 2, 2009
    I'm rooting for you Evan and based on my experiences with your work I feel you are certainly ready for this endeavor.

9. esnyx

esnyx

Feb 10, 2014
    Of course, Primble! How would you guys recognize me otherwise?? :D

10. esnyx

esnyx

Feb 10, 2014
    Here is my take on a trapper pattern. I finished this guy up a few days ago, and wasn't completely happy with it, so in my pocket it went! The knife is about 4" closed, with 1/8" 1095 blade and spring, dark Ironwood scales, double pinned shield, brass liners and scale pins, and nickel bolsters. This guy has a nice heavy spring and has a pull right around an 8, but I can still pinch it open on the longpull. This is a really sweet knife, but it has a little blade play that I wasn't able to fix without compromising the action. I just couldn't let it leave the shop like this, so i decided to keep it, and maybe gift it to someone at some point. Thought you guys might like to see some pics though, so, here it is!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  11. gunstockjack

gunstockjack Mid-low tech sexagenarian. Gold Member

May 14, 2011
    I think it's fan-frickin-tastic! :thumbup::thumbup:

12. BigBiscuit

BigBiscuit

Dec 11, 2014
    Looks pretty darn sweet to me. :cool:

13. SinePari

SinePari

Oct 24, 2013
    Pattern's beautiful bud. You know how inexperienced I am when it comes to slip joints, so a question is in order... Now that I have a few beaters in my collection I know what blade play is, but how much movement and along which axis, takes a blade off the market for you?

I know it's probably a personal standard set by you, but in my reading I've come across blade smiths / cutlers that suggest some tolerances in slip joint design to be deliberately "loose" in order to function better in working environments. To draw a parallel, "loose" as in comparing an m-16 rifle to an AK47 platform; while the m-16 platform may be far more precise in its design, the AK47 is a lot easier to operate and maintain in a dirty environment...

Just wanted to pick your brain here, because if I remember right, these cutlers/blade smiths were specifically talking about the spring mechanism and not side to side wiggle...

14. esnyx

esnyx

Feb 10, 2014
    Thanks guys!

Zach, what I mean by blade play, is that I can feel that the in the tang area of the blade is ever so slightly loose when I open it, hold the blade by the tip and give it a wiggle. Personally, I don't mind a little blade play at all, but I judge my work at a higher standard than my own tolerance for minor issues.

15. SinePari

SinePari

Oct 24, 2013
    No doubt about adhering to a higher standard, just wondering where you drew the line on this particular piece. Thank you for answering specifics.

16. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    I'm with Barry on this and i will go one further....galactic ( the Federation approves of the use of their sheild...Kirk out :D)

17. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Evan,

Your knives look great!
    I've got 'Esnyx customized' already, now I'll have to start planning 'Esnyx custom'!

18. mike Berkovitch

mike Berkovitch

Nov 15, 2007
    Evan this a nice take on a trapper, I can understand the feeling that nothing but perfect can go out. The scale are fantastic and so is the shield, though I could think of something little bigger. I also think that the knife could benefit a half hidden tang. Anyway you are doing great and improving in every knife.
    Mike

19. galvanic1882

galvanic1882 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2007
    That is one sweet knife wish it was in my pocket as a user!!! Keep doing what your doing they all look great.

20. Markesharp

Markesharp

Mar 8, 2014
    Evan, you are doing great work with what tools you have thus far! :thumbup: Once you get a surface grinder, the light wiggle issue you had with the trappoer will be a thing of the past. ;)

Keep on keeping on buddy!

:D