Esnyx Custom Knives

Thank you all for the well wishes!! Things are going to be slow for the next month or two as I set things up, and I wont be able to frequent the forum as much as I would like, but I will do my best to keep you guys updated along the way!

I will be accepting names for a waiting list, but I will not be able to begin fulfilling orders until the shop is complete. I haven't completely decided how I will approach my builds, but I am planning out a few patterns to start with. I will most likely still be accepting other patterns for custom orders, and will be adding patterns as I go. I want to make knives to the absolute best of my abilities, and evolve my style and skill as I learn and grow as a maker. If you would like to be added to my waiting list, feel free to send me an email at the address in my signature!

Thank you all again. I would not be here without this wonderful community!!

Wow congratulations! That's a giant step. And I wish you the best. I'm sure I will get a custom sometime and you sir are a fantastic maker. You will have my buisness!

Gabe

So will you continue to be Dr. Frankenstein and also keep the doggie in fishing hat avatar ?? - YES or NO ?? :eek::p:D

Congratulations on your decision, Evan!
I'm confident you'll make a success of it!:thumbup:

Congratulations Evan!
It's a grand decision and one I'm sure you did not make lightly. I'm on the cusp of launching a business venture and am terrified. Only hard work,honesty and commitment will garner success and its obvious you have these prerequisites. I'm happy to own the one modded folder I was lucky enough to get from you last year and will be on your list for a 100% Esnyx for your new shop.
Good luck!

I'm rooting for you Evan and based on my experiences with your work I feel you are certainly ready for this endeavor.

Here is my take on a trapper pattern. I finished this guy up a few days ago, and wasn't completely happy with it, so in my pocket it went! The knife is about 4" closed, with 1/8" 1095 blade and spring, dark Ironwood scales, double pinned shield, brass liners and scale pins, and nickel bolsters. This guy has a nice heavy spring and has a pull right around an 8, but I can still pinch it open on the longpull. This is a really sweet knife, but it has a little blade play that I wasn't able to fix without compromising the action. I just couldn't let it leave the shop like this, so i decided to keep it, and maybe gift it to someone at some point. Thought you guys might like to see some pics though, so, here it is!

03A34474-6979-49C1-A14E-CB7A2900A1E3_zpszxdafd7m.jpg

D4ED14E3-CF12-4076-AE65-ACDC3450E947_zpsnk1wjska.jpg

E88AD282-8C37-42E8-9E6A-6A29533C3592_zpskw2pbjei.jpg

F6B7BF6E-C778-4D8F-AF2B-3E24BABCAEFD_zps6p9vytkp.jpg

FE7A50D1-5A72-4928-AAF9-F5DB89A460AB_zpsdxnb4bnn.jpg

9375C44B-E71E-4F89-8722-8005764005C3_zpsvsyxnwdf.jpg

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Pattern's beautiful bud. You know how inexperienced I am when it comes to slip joints, so a question is in order... Now that I have a few beaters in my collection I know what blade play is, but how much movement and along which axis, takes a blade off the market for you?

I know it's probably a personal standard set by you, but in my reading I've come across blade smiths / cutlers that suggest some tolerances in slip joint design to be deliberately "loose" in order to function better in working environments. To draw a parallel, "loose" as in comparing an m-16 rifle to an AK47 platform; while the m-16 platform may be far more precise in its design, the AK47 is a lot easier to operate and maintain in a dirty environment...

Just wanted to pick your brain here, because if I remember right, these cutlers/blade smiths were specifically talking about the spring mechanism and not side to side wiggle...

Thanks guys!

Zach, what I mean by blade play, is that I can feel that the in the tang area of the blade is ever so slightly loose when I open it, hold the blade by the tip and give it a wiggle. Personally, I don't mind a little blade play at all, but I judge my work at a higher standard than my own tolerance for minor issues.

Thanks guys!

Zach, what I mean by blade play, is that I can feel that the in the tang area of the blade is ever so slightly loose when I open it, hold the blade by the tip and give it a wiggle. Personally, I don't mind a little blade play at all, but I judge my work at a higher standard than my own tolerance for minor issues.

No doubt about adhering to a higher standard, just wondering where you drew the line on this particular piece. Thank you for answering specifics.

I'm with Barry on this and i will go one further....galactic ( the Federation approves of the use of their sheild...Kirk out :D)

Evan,

Your knives look great!
I've got 'Esnyx customized' already, now I'll have to start planning 'Esnyx custom'!

Evan this a nice take on a trapper, I can understand the feeling that nothing but perfect can go out. The scale are fantastic and so is the shield, though I could think of something little bigger. I also think that the knife could benefit a half hidden tang. Anyway you are doing great and improving in every knife.
Mike

That is one sweet knife wish it was in my pocket as a user!!! Keep doing what your doing they all look great.

Thanks guys!

Evan, you are doing great work with what tools you have thus far! :thumbup: Once you get a surface grinder, the light wiggle issue you had with the trappoer will be a thing of the past. ;)

Keep on keeping on buddy!

:D

Back